Meeting a Deafblind person in real life

CJB

Reaction score
Have you ever met a Deafblind person in real life, and if you have, how many?

I met another deafblind person in person today and was wondering if I'm right to think it's very unlikely. I live in small town and there are no schools for the deaf or blind anywhere near here. I didn't meet him through AADB or HKNC or anything. I met him totally by chance. We sat down at the same table at one of my favorite cafes in the mall. There was another Deaf person there who pointed us out to each other.

Would you be surprised to meet another db person, especially if you are db yourself or if you live in a relatively remote area and didn't meet them through HKNC or something?

It turns out he lives a walkable distance for me. Never thought something like that could ever happen! :cool2:

Yes, I've met a deaf & blind person before and chatted with him. It was at a club meeting I went to...

And today, I met my friend's uncle who is blind (but not deaf), just HOH. He had the cutest little Pug named "George"....

I have met many..my former boss at Gallaudet when I was a graduate assistant to earn extra money is Deafblind himself. I had to interpret for him at meeting often.

My hubby's ex fiancee is deafblind herself.

I qualify, although I don't choose to refer to myself in that way. I will wait until I am SLP to use that designation.

So people who are literally deaf/blind, meaning they are both and not some combination of deaf/hoh/low vision/blind. Those combinations up the ante, and make deafblindness fairly common.

And yes I have met more that one deaf/blind person other than myself.

I have seen several DB at DPHH but I have never converse with one because my ASL skill is bad so I don't want the communication to be frustrating. :giggle:

I'm wondering where you meet these people. :giggle: Until today I had only met DB folks online.

:whistle:

Deaf socials.

There was a deafblind girl at today's openhouse.

Oh. My dinky little town doesn't have Deaf socials. We have to drive about 40 minutes away to get to a place that has an active Deaf community.

I met one.... he went to TMOS (Tucker Maxon Oral School) with me and he was in same class as I was in.... and I was amazed that he can tell who's the person is, no matter how hard I tried to trick him.

I met one.... he went to TMOS (Tucker Maxon Oral School) with me and he was in same class as I was in.... and I was amazed that he can tell who's the person is, no matter how hard I tried to trick him.
what ways did you attempt to trick?

If I know someone well enough I can tell who they are from their hands right away. Sometimes if someone I know wears a particular perfume I can tell right away when they're in the same room as me.

I've met a deafblind before at one of the churches I went to. Someone was was nice enough to interpret the whole sermon for her. She couldn't see very well so she has to hold on to interpreter's wrist at the whole time the interpreter interpreted for her. Everytime I go to that church, it seem like neither the interpreter or the person miss church. I always expect to see them.

I've met a lot of deafblind people all over.

I used to interpret for a deafblind woman at my church years ago when I was in high school. She was an awesome woman. She could identify most people just from the feel of their hands. We both stopped going to that church for our own reasons, but I saw her a few yeas later when I was at Six Flags for Deaf Awareness Day. I saw her walking by with a guide and I immediately approached her. When her guide asked me for my name so he could tell her who was standing in front of her, I told him... "No, watch this." I put my hands in her hands and within seconds, she recognized me and was so happy that I was there. We hugged each other, talked a few minutes, then we went our ways again.

Another church I went to, they had a woman who was deafblind. She's not fully blind, but her Ushers Syndrome is severe enough that she is likely considered legally blind. She requires a light shining directly on the other person's hand when they're signing and she has to be within a few feet of that person when he/she is signing.

When I was at RIT, I met a lot of deafblind students.

I have seen a few, but was never introduced. They were at a meeting at the local library for the Lighthouse for the Blind here in town. In the group were a few deaf/blind who had their interpreters with them.

I met many deafblind people and kids at school, deaf events and church. I like to communicate with deafblind through tactile sign languages. That is no reason to be shy or afraid to meet them. I met the deafblind children at school for the blinds for visitor and tour. That is nice to meet them. The blind/hearing is hard to communicate because no sign language. I met the poor vision hearing guy and able to communicate through write with large text.

I would like to meet deafblind triplet someday. And also I love to meet Hear Again in a person. :)

I have met DB peeps during my college time. After that I haven't meet a single db since I left Gallaudet. During my college time, I only talked to them only if it were related with classes or outside of the classes. That was it. There was a girl who I grew up with who have vision problems that I do not remember what was it called she have. She and I drifted apart after HS school. I haven't seen any db peeps here in my hometown.

<---- did meet a few DB's myself even dated one. It was really interesting how they can handle being both deaf and blind. When I took my db date to deaf bowling league as fans most were afraid try communicate with her. I kept tell em go ahead go ahead she wont bite but most didnt feel comfy around a DB.

I have met DB peeps during my college time. After that I haven't meet a single db since I left Gallaudet. During my college time, I only talked to them only if it were related with classes or outside of the classes. That was it. There was a girl who I grew up with who have vision problems that I do not remember what was it called she have. She and I drifted apart after HS school. I haven't seen any db peeps here in my hometown.

Do you mean it called Usher Syndrome as Retinitis Pigmentosa?

Back