Meeting a Deafblind person in real life

:ty::ty::ty:

Ooh okay. When I tell other db's that my hearing loss and vision loss are unrelated, they often act really surprised. :dunno:

They might. It might be because you started as a blind person.

It is not uncommon for deaf people to lose their vision.

They might. It might be because you started as a blind person.

It is not uncommon for deaf people to lose their vision.

Maybe that's what they meant... to lose your vision first and then your hearing. :dunno:

I wonder which is more common in the general population, hearing loss or vision loss.

Maybe that's what they meant... to lose your vision first and then your hearing. :dunno:

I wonder which is more common in the general population, hearing loss or vision loss.

Vision 13,0000

Deaf 1,00000

Vision 13,0000

Deaf 1,00000

Wow, I didn't know deafness was so much more common. I always figured they were more or less equally common.

So I guess it makes sense there are fewer deaf/hoh people in the blind community than blind people in the Deaf/Hoh community.

1 in 11 experiences some kind of hearing loss.
1 in 12 experiences significant sight loss.

Most are gained with age.

I had school classmate who has very poor vision I am sure she got some sort of blindness but she never admitted it (we were at oral deaf school) refusing to use her white cane, her magifying glass and we as her loyal friend ensure that the teachers only use yellow background with black pen (less strain on her eyes if white background), sadly she had isolated herself away and we never saw her again since we left school. She was brilliant at Art, horseriding.

I remember as volunteer for deaf sailing club when i was about 18, I teach deaf people to sail who never sailed before. There was time when I was paired up with deafblind lady, It was awesome learning signs and me teaching her parts of the boat and advising her what to do, I could see her confidence building up. At the end of day she said that she had great time.

Wow, I didn't know deafness was so much more common. I always figured they were more or less equally common.

So I guess it makes sense there are fewer deaf/hoh people in the blind community than blind people in the Deaf/Hoh community.

I must have forgotten a zero. I have dyscalculia.

Deafness is less common.

Don't get me wrong just relaying what I have heard, someone told me that vitamin A, can slow down vision loss. I haven't looked too much into it yet I also hear lutein as well. I'm no doctor, but I am curious and plan to look into it. Never a bad idea to ask a doctor or pharmacist may have some advice.

There are 6 DB residents where I work. They vary in their capabilities and independence. Some of them just amaze me, and I doubt I could function as well if I became DB. They are very patient with anyone who is signing to them or interpreting for them.

There are 6 DB residents where I work. They vary in their capabilities and independence. Some of them just amaze me, and I doubt I could function as well if I became DB. They are very patient with anyone who is signing to them or interpreting for them.

Only a kind word of warning. Word things carefully, not to seem patronizing.

Many times what most people consider "amazing" is just what humans do given certain circumstances. I'm sure that you would figure out ways to function if you were deafblind too. Maybe not in the same way but you would figure out a way.

If you are truly interested, Hear Again is the most deaf/blind member here that I know. NLP/Completely Deaf. (But she got CI)

She hasn't been around much lately, but look up her old posts, and you can read for yourself how not amazing it is. She would always say maybe she did some things differently, but she is just a normal person.

It is true that many DBPs (deafblind persons) have varying capabilities, but a majority of them live happy, productive independent lives. I happen to be one of them. I'm totally deafblind (although I can hear with CIs) and take care of all my daily responsibilities on my own. When I explain "normalcy" to others or they tell me they couldn't function at all (or as well as a DBP they know) if they lost their vision and hearing, I remind them that they'd be surprised at how well they can function if they take the time to learn proper skills like Braille, tactile sign and use of the white cane. The key to independence isn't finding ways why a person can't do something; it's finding ways a person CAN.

It is true that many DBPs (deafblind persons) have varying capabilities, but a majority of them live happy, productive independent lives. I happen to be one of them. I'm totally deafblind (although I can hear with CIs) and take care of all my daily responsibilities on my own. When I explain "normalcy" to others or they tell me they couldn't function at all (or as well as a DBP they know) if they lost their vision and hearing, I remind them that they'd be surprised at how well they can function if they take the time to learn proper skills like Braille, tactile sign and use of the white cane. The key to independence isn't finding ways why a person can't do something; it's finding ways a person CAN.

:gpost:

Great to see you again Hear Again!!

Back