Mars Landing Tonight

Levonian

Reaction score
NASA’s Mars rover Spirit is scheduled to land in about 20 minutes. Let’s all pray that this mission succeeds. We need some good news for a change. :fingersx:

KAHPLAH!!! It worked! The rover has touched down on Mars and has sent a confirmation signal back to Earth! I can’t wait to see the first pictures from the rover. They will be the highest resolution pictures we have ever obtained of the Martian surface. :party: :cheers: :applause:

Levonian said:
KAHPLAH!!! It worked! The rover has touched down on Mars and has sent a confirmation signal back to Earth! I can’t wait to see the first pictures from the rover. They will be the highest resolution pictures we have ever obtained of the Martian surface. :party: :cheers: :applause:
I can imagine them getting some weird images. After studying the images and clearing up the resolutions, it's a bunch of aliens celebrating New Years Eve!

VamPyroX said:
I can imagine them getting some weird images. After studying the images and clearing up the resolutions, it's a bunch of aliens celebrating New Years Eve!

LOL! My husband stayed up pretty late to watch that vid online. I reckon I'll learn all about it later on in here and the news. They ought check out that Face on Mars.......... hehehe

They ought check out that Face on Mars.......... hehehe

There’s not much to check out. Here’s an image of the "Face on Mars" taken by the Viking Orbiter in 1978, and another image taken in 2001 by the Mars Global Surveyor. So all the LGM lunatics can now safely go back to reading the National Enquirer and scratching their armpits with their dinner fork.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 133
Anybody know how long it takes for messages/signals from the rover to get to earth? And how long did it take for the ship with the rover to get from here to Mars?

Spirit was launched from Cape Canaveral on June 10, 2003. The distance between Earth and Mars varies greatly depending on the relative alignments of the two planets, but during years of closest approach it takes about 3 minutes for light or radio signals to travel from Earth to Mars or vice versa.

258 GLAD they made it in one peice let's see how much more of historical things we can attribute to this :)

I saw it on the news and in the newspapers today -- interesting! Saw pics of people in the area, cheering when it was successful. ;)

I found the NASA/JPL page that has all of the transmitted images from the Spirit Mars rover. The report on CNN this morning said that the hi-res color images should be coming in within a few days.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/images.html

The Opportunity rover is scheduled to land on the opposite side of Mars on January 24. If that mission succeeds, it will an unprecedented event in the history of space exploration. There will be not one, but two rovers operating simultaneously on the surface of Mars—both of which are dozens of times more sophisticated than any robotic device we have ever landed on an extraterrestrial body. It will be a great shot in the arm for NASA in light of their recent failures. Hopefully, it will fuel renewed interest in a future manned mission to Mars. :fingersx:

Levonian said:
There’s not much to check out. Here’s an image of the "Face on Mars" taken by the Viking Orbiter in 1978, and another image taken in 2001 by the Mars Global Surveyor. So all the LGM lunatics can now safely go back to reading the National Enquirer and scratching their armpits with their dinner fork.
However, that's 23 years of possible wind storms. That would be enough to make the face look worse than before!

I doubt that we might find life on Mars but we might find water deep underground. Spirit landed on a crater that probably was a lake at one time so we may know soon.

Levonian said:
it's accually not the first time it landed.. really 2 years ago the rover touched down on mars.. and begin their mission.. but few months later the rover is dead.. now they're doing it again :D

tekkmortal said:
I doubt that we might find life on Mars but we might find water deep underground. Spirit landed on a crater that probably was a lake at one time so we may know soon.
they accually did find life on mars on the first rover mission. they found frozen bacterica..

DeafSCUBA98 said:
it's accually not the first time it landed.. really 2 years ago the rover touched down on mars.. and begin their mission.. but few months later the rover is dead.. now they're doing it again :D

Oh, I know—I meant the first pictures from this rover. These pics are going to kick ass. They’re supposed to have the same resolution as 70 mm film. :D

Tousi said:
Anybody know how long it takes for messages/signals from the rover to get to earth? And how long did it take for the ship with the rover to get from here to Mars?
they say 10 min.. with the speed of light for message/ signals to arrive to earth and mars

Last edited:
Picture of mars taken by rover on surface

Attachments

• mars.jpg
    mars.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 83
Will I be settle down there when I will retired ?

PIA04995_br2.jpg

There is plenty of land but no green grass, etc... They look for the water now. If that planet has water like Earth. We may move to the Mars to start a new life to avoid bad pollution, criminal, diease, etc...

Back