Laptop vs Desktop

Which you prefer?

• Desktop! I stay at home until my belly grow!

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Laptop! I smell outside in any weather and surf!

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Both! I'm madness!!!

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • None! I'm on mobile phone, can't afford neither!

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Funny you say that. PC World just did some tests and found that the Mac runs Windows Vista faster than the PC competitors.

Like Pacman said, you can run Windows via Boot Camp on a Intel Mac machine, and run any PC game at virtually native speed. I just recently upgraded to Leopard, and it is simply the best operating system to date. There's no valid reason to say that "Mac sucks."

Very true, I had compare with same CPU and GPU, ASUS A1S-G1 and MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo with 2.2 GHz, GeForce 8600m GT (128MB VRAM from MBP and 256MB VRAM from G1S-A1, both are DDR3) and 5400 RPM HDD with SATA, MacBook Pro was booted the XP so faster than Vista from G1S-A1, plus Vista was booted up faster on my iMac with Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz than G1S-A1 laptop with Vista at 2.2 GHz.

I had admit that Mac is really superior over PC in my opinion, Mac use EFI since most PC use BIOS, BIOS is legacy, just old technology.

I returned the ASUS G1S-A1 because of failure to recovery the Vista after screw up when attempted to delete many of bloatware, Install XP via boot camp on MacBook Pro is proudly bloatware free.

Are you saying that your MacBook Pro runs a 5400 RPM hard disk? If yes, I am surprised that it runs faster on XP with a boot software. I am impressed, and it also contains 2 GHz which is great, too.

I thought that a 7200 RPM would be better speed than a 5400 RPM, but I realized that 7200 RPM is for a desktop and 5400 RPM is for a laptop. Right?

BIOS - Basic Input-Output System

EFI - what is stand for?

Are you saying that your MacBook Pro runs a 5400 RPM hard disk? If yes, I am surprised that it runs faster on XP with a boot software. I am impressed, and it also contains 2 GHz which is great, too.

I thought that a 7200 RPM would be better speed than a 5400 RPM, but I realized that 7200 RPM is for a desktop and 5400 RPM is for a laptop. Right?

BIOS - Basic Input-Output System

EFI - what is stand for?

EFI is Extensible Firmware Interface.

My MacBook Pro is use 5400 RPM, that's good enough but 7200 RPM is bad for laptop due increase more heat and hot on palm rest since HDD is loaded on left end corner of keyboard, on palm rest, some people are using 7200 RPM for laptop if they don't care about heat and hot on palm rest, plus laptop can offered to use 7200 RPM but Apple let consumers to choice on configuration on their online store.

My MacBook Pro use 2.2 GHz since my iMac use 2.0 GHz, when I was tested with boot up on both of them, MBP is booted up at first and iMac is second.

I like both, computer desk top and lap top. Because laptop or notebook computer are great for traveling and it also very useful on a road trip or a vacation or for work. I think is also great for kids to use it to play computer games on laptop as well. :)

I voted both. Laptop use for travel, school, or whatever reason. Desktop nice for home and back up. I don't have a laptop at the moment, I do want one though.

Very true, I had compare with same CPU and GPU, ASUS A1S-G1 and MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo with 2.2 GHz, GeForce 8600m GT (128MB VRAM from MBP and 256MB VRAM from G1S-A1, both are DDR3) and 5400 RPM HDD with SATA, MacBook Pro was booted the XP so faster than Vista from G1S-A1, plus Vista was booted up faster on my iMac with Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz than G1S-A1 laptop with Vista at 2.2 GHz.

I had admit that Mac is really superior over PC in my opinion, Mac use EFI since most PC use BIOS, BIOS is legacy, just old technology.

I returned the ASUS G1S-A1 because of failure to recovery the Vista after screw up when attempted to delete many of bloatware, Install XP via boot camp on MacBook Pro is proudly bloatware free.

The reason why a Intel Mac run Windows Vista faster than the PC competitors is due that Mac has better motherboard. That's what I was told by my friend...he's a gamer on a PS3 and PC and also a graphic/web designer on a Mac.

The reason why a Intel Mac run Windows Vista faster than the PC competitors is due that Mac has better motherboard. That's what I was told by my friend...he's a gamer on a PS3 and PC and also a graphic/web designer on a Mac.

fastest bus board, it's awesome and less energy. Wow.

*800 mhz bus board

My MacBook Pro is use 5400 RPM, that's good enough but 7200 RPM is bad for laptop due increase more heat and hot on palm rest since HDD is loaded on left end corner of keyboard, on palm rest, some people are using 7200 RPM for laptop if they don't care about heat and hot on palm rest, plus laptop can offered to use 7200 RPM but Apple let consumers to choice on configuration on their online store.

My MacBook Pro use 2.2 GHz since my iMac use 2.0 GHz, when I was tested with boot up on both of them, MBP is booted up at first and iMac is second.

What about Solid State Hard drive (Flash hard drive)?? It runs cooler and quieter LOL. But price is downside. Cost approxmely $600 for 32GB. Anyone want this?? LOL

I would go for 7200rpm hdd for my lappy (mine is 4500rpm). My lappy don't get hot, It's the CPU at it's back left corner. Faster hdd, faster data transfer means fast apps loading. That's what I wanted. I don't have much patient with slow OS.

Catty

No the CPU has temperaure you play gaming or or surfing the internet with graphic load and it will getting heat up but when the laptop is idling it will getting cool down.

do not block the laptop's vent and it let air flow into laptop and it will get cool and better performance.

Windows XP RAM recommend 1GB ram to optimize OS system is smooth also recommend Windows Vista Ultimate getting 2GB RAM or above

Mac OS depend on RAM 640mb or above RAM depend on graphic and loading time.

I have 5400 RPM DELL Inspirion B130 laptop 1.6Ghz Intel Celron and 1GB ram XP home... I will planning to buy Dell XPS laptop later in year

What about Solid State Hard drive (Flash hard drive)?? It runs cooler and quieter LOL. But price is downside. Cost approxmely $600 for 32GB. Anyone want this?? LOL

I would go for 7200rpm hdd for my lappy (mine is 4500rpm). My lappy don't get hot, It's the CPU at it's back left corner. Faster hdd, faster data transfer means fast apps loading. That's what I wanted. I don't have much patient with slow OS.

Catty

catty -- Yes!!! that is true Solid State Hard disk drive has no mechanical parts or no hard disk drive failure and it can be conserve the laptop's battery and faster to boot up instantly coming soon in future..... the current hard disk drive has 7200rpm offers SATA and it can be faster than IDE or ATA. Better 2GB RAM or more for Vista or XP Pro can be 1GB or higher RAM to optimize to load the system

right now.... Dell has selling laptop with 7200RPM hard disk drive avilable online as you can order instead of 5400 RPM.

No the CPU has temperaure you play gaming or or surfing the internet with graphic load and it will getting heat up but when the laptop is idling it will getting cool down.

do not block the laptop's vent and it let air flow into laptop and it will get cool and better performance.

Windows XP RAM recommend 1GB ram to optimize OS system is smooth also recommend Windows Vista Ultimate getting 2GB RAM or above

Mac OS depend on RAM 640mb or above RAM depend on graphic and loading time.

I have 5400 RPM DELL Inspirion B130 laptop 1.6Ghz Intel Celron and 1GB ram XP home... I will planning to buy Dell XPS laptop later in year

7,200 RPM HDD does make more heat and feed more battery than 5,400 RPM HDD does, I had seen other MBP from members in other forum that use 7,200 RPM, it's very hot under palm rest since HDD on MBP is located under down left end corner, CPU and GPU are located on upper end with couple of fans, vent is located in between LCD and keyboard area, there's nothing on bottom.

I have no idea about you said No at first post, it's very obviously about CPU and GPU got hotter when run games or processor intensive apps, I use smcFanControl to turn fans RPM at max to keep CPU and GPU so cool and warm when play games or processor intensive instead of got hotter, plus with cooling pad would help but not 100% effective.

You are using Windows based laptop, every laptop has different location for CPU, GPU and HDD, nothing is same.

7,200 RPM HDD does make more heat and feed more battery than 5,400 RPM HDD does, I had seen other MBP from members in other forum that use 7,200 RPM, it's very hot under palm rest since HDD on MBP is located under down left end corner, CPU and GPU are located on upper end with couple of fans, vent is located in between LCD and keyboard area, there's nothing on bottom.

I have no idea about you said No at first post, it's very obviously about CPU and GPU got hotter when run games or processor intensive apps, I use smcFanControl to turn fans RPM at max to keep CPU and GPU so cool and warm when play games or processor intensive instead of got hotter, plus with cooling pad would help but not 100% effective.

You are using Windows based laptop, every laptop has different location for CPU, GPU and HDD, nothing is same.

I didn't care much about hdd heat (my lappy's battery is shot now and must be plugged all the time). As long as you use Power Monitor (turning off hdd in 30 min if unused) and also some graphic and north/south bridge have performance setting by going through it's graphic driver's setting such as ATI Xpress chipsets that have both graphic and bridges setup through ATI Catalyst control panel. I was able to keep CPU cool by switching it to Optimal Battery..

I'm looking forward for solid state hdd. We all have to wait until price goes down to affordable level. I don't need big space. 30 to 40gb Solid State hdd space would be good enuf for me since I don't do Digital photography or movie LOL. Be nice if M$ would develop what Linux have, run OS from flashdrive LOL. (Windows Vista now do have option to use flashdrive as a extended memory)

Catty

Catty

at least, get LCD display to make less watts than CRT display. yike!

CRT display is a terrible thing to see, it makes up the room, and you may need these space taken over by a CRT monitor. LCD screens are the best. What a space saver. ;)

You can buy Big Mac combo that comes with G5 fries and a 64bit coke for $4.99. Oh you won a Windows Vista pie coupon! Congratulations!

:rofl:

I voted for both, but I don't have any deskop nor a laptop but I will plan to get one for my 21st birthday later this year for my apartment. I am considering getting a powerful mac mini with two LCD monitors (Dual monitors for your clarification. Like I do have it at work :)) and boot camp with Windows too. ;)

I didn't care much about hdd heat (my lappy's battery is shot now and must be plugged all the time). As long as you use Power Monitor (turning off hdd in 30 min if unused) and also some graphic and north/south bridge have performance setting by going through it's graphic driver's setting such as ATI Xpress chipsets that have both graphic and bridges setup through ATI Catalyst control panel. I was able to keep CPU cool by switching it to Optimal Battery..

I'm looking forward for solid state hdd. We all have to wait until price goes down to affordable level. I don't need big space. 30 to 40gb Solid State hdd space would be good enuf for me since I don't do Digital photography or movie LOL. Be nice if M$ would develop what Linux have, run OS from flashdrive LOL. (Windows Vista now do have option to use flashdrive as a extended memory)

Catty

Catty

It don't matters on bettery or not, 7,200 RPM HDD are very annoying if it does located under left end corner of laptop's palm rest, if HDD is located on back then would be ok for 7,200 RPM.

I'm not get 7,200 RPM because of battery issue, also I don't want SSD because of limited spaces at expensive.

I'm struck with 5,400 RPM HDD, it's enough for me but... I'm using external 3.5" HDD via eSATA for MBP and Firewire 800 for iMac, that's perfect and very good for play games via external HDD with eSATA and Firewire 800 but USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 are so slower.

CRT display is a terrible thing to see, it makes up the room, and you may need these space taken over by a CRT monitor. LCD screens are the best. What a space saver. ;)

:rofl:

I voted for both, but I don't have any deskop nor a laptop but I will plan to get one for my 21st birthday later this year for my apartment. I am considering getting a powerful mac mini with two LCD monitors (Dual monitors for your clarification. Like I do have it at work :)) and boot camp with Windows too. ;)

Well, Games looks better on CRT when it doesn't play at native resolution but LCD looks horrible for games if not settle at native resolution, such as ghost and blur issue.

Well, Games looks better on CRT when it doesn't play at native resolution but LCD looks horrible for games if not settle at native resolution, such as ghost and blur issue.

The good reason, is I don't want CRT cause I don't play games ;) I surf the net, basically. :lol:

The good reason, is I don't want CRT cause I don't play games ;) I surf the net, basically. :lol:

lol, I hate CRT cuz of strain my eye and more headache.

I'm using LCD for play games, it's not big deal with LCD, looks good but it does looks bad to some hardcore gamers.

lol, I hate CRT cuz of strain my eye and more headache.

I'm using LCD for play games, it's not big deal with LCD, looks good but it does looks bad to some hardcore gamers.

Too bad for hardcore gamers :lol:

Too bad for hardcore gamers :lol:

Well, hardcore gamers are usually get expensive LCD with high refresh rate or use high end graphic card, such as 2x GeForce 8800 GTX to keep smooth when play at native resolution, such as 1650 x 1050 or above.

Back