I Use CC All the Time

Loghead

Reaction score
CC is probably one of the only HOH aids (next to hearing aids) that I actually use. I love Closed Captioning. I feel that it really helps me when I'm watching TV and I find that when I go without it I am missing a lot of what the characters are saying. The only time I don't use Closed Captioning is when it takes forever for it to catch up to the words that are being said on the show because it is too slow.

Does anyone else here find CC as useful as I do? I have been asked how I can read that fast, but I don't really spend the time reading it... it's kind of hard to explain it. I guess subconciously my brain refers to the captioning if I don't hear something. But I find it extremely helpful.

thats all i use. just closed captioning. dont use the sound on the tv at all.

I depend on CC as well. To be able to watch and understand, what is going on in shows and movies.

In 1982, my parents surprised me to get an UGLY tv that had CC. I asked them, "why did you get the ugly tv?" My parents knew me very well and tried to get me distracting, then they said," please come with us to watch on tv." I was puzzled why they asked me to join with them that night. I had to look around on tv and realized that it has CC. I jumped like crazy. I can't live without CC since now. :D

yeah -- i must depend on CC because without it, i wouldn't understand a lot of information. its hard to read lips all the times. CC definitely helps!!

I just started using captions on some tv programs <recent hearing loss>. Husband has used them often, although it is difficult for him to use as he doesn't read quickly. But actually, for certain programs or at certain times I have turned off volume too and only text.

Yea! Subtitles! I love them. When no one else is watching, I just turn off the TV. I can not understand what they are saying to begin with, and you can't expect the actors to hold still for you to look at their mouths. CC makes it possible for me to enjoy TV.

I MUST MUST have the CC (or subtitles) on the television because without it, I'm definitely lost in translation.

Closed-Captioning has been proven to boost your reading comprehension.

I MUST MUST have the CC (or subtitles) on the television because without it, I'm definitely lost in translation.

Closed-Captioning has been proven to boost your reading comprehension.

Really? That's so cool. Makes sense but I had never thought about it before. So, maybe my baby will benefit from having them on the screen...though she isn't watching the TV until she's at least two.

At the best thing, we dont have to press 8-0-1 down here every time I want to turn the CC (or Subtitles) on via my HD tuner, I just press the button and volia, subtitles appears.

Really? That's so cool. Makes sense but I had never thought about it before. So, maybe my baby will benefit from having them on the screen...though she isn't watching the TV until she's at least two.

Yes, your daughter will definitely benefit from it tremendously. It is never too early or too late to get her started on reading.

If you like to, You should check this out - It's the link to The Educational Value of Reading Captions; National Captioning Institute

Also there's an advantage of using the captions at late-night by not waking up the whole family. ;)

I remember when I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, I only had one hearing aid because I had swimmer's ear and I couldn't understand any of the dialogue because I already have difficulty interpreting other accents and I probably would have only heard half of what they were saying even with two hearing aids. :P

@ Jolie: I have wondered about the educational value of close captioning, but I never knew that it could make such a difference. If I ever have children, I might just have to leave the captioning on even if I'm not watching TV. :P

Does anyone else here find CC as useful as I do?[/COLOR][/B]

Of course without doubt, I can't live without Closed caption or English subtitles it's a must for me to live by lol.

Without CC I would not know that the House MD writers are apparently idiots!

Without CC, I don't bother watching TV. Can't hear a thing unless it's so loud it drives the neighbors out of their homes.

Back