Homeschooling

Liebling:-))) said:
It´s parents job to give their children in right path.
Exactly!

The parents need to open their mind to let their children to have their open mind, too to learn anything instead of consider only parents.
I believe that parents should filter what their children are exposed to. Like computers--garbage in, garbage out (GIGO). Why should their tender hearts and minds be contaminated with negative, nasty images while they are young? What is the benefit? They only have a short time to live as innocent sweet children. Why ruin it? They will have plenty of years left for learning about all the negative, cruel, filthy facts of life and the world. What is the hurry to destroy their dreams?

I beleive to let my children GO and COLLECT their experiences.
But you don't just let your children go out on the street and experience bullying, swearing, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, racism, etc., do you? You don't want them to go to bed at night and dream about those experiences, do you?

It´s parents´upbringing job to teach/show them to right path, but teacher is not parents´s job task.
As you say, it is the parents' responsibility to "teach/show them to right path". That is exactly what home school parents want to do.

IMHO

Well, I appause government to control of the children ...
Government control of children...that is a chilling thought.

For them, it´s abuse if you pull your children out of public school to teach your children yourself ...
I believe it is parental neglect to leave children in a bad school situation.

... I already told him that I dont want to influence him with my opinion but it´s HIS OWN choice either he can beleive or not.
It is the parent's responsibility to be a good influence on the child. What is wrong with influence? Are you saying that you don't influence your child about anything? When your child asks about your beliefs about smoking, good diet, violence, war, alcohol, drug abuse, sex, lying, stealing, bullying, etc., do you not influence? I don't believe parents actually say, "I don't care whether or not you lie or steal; I don't want to influence your decision."

Liebling:))) I´m surprised about this because the teachers must have to get teacher certicate to get job to teach at school. I really dont understand about this.
It is not that hard to get a teaching certificate. A teaching certificate does not prove that the teacher is well-educated, intelligent, moral, compatible with children, or knowledgable about current events. It just proves that they passed the teacher test. Period.

Also, in American schools, not all teachers have certificates. Reason? They can't pass the test.

Magatsu,

I suggest you read the book, The Conspiracy of Ignorance, The Failure of American Public Schools by Martin L. Gross (1999, HarperCollins Publisher, Inc., NY, ISBN 0-06-019458-8).

Here is an excerpt from his book:

"In many European nations, the study of physics, which is never taken here by most students, begins in middle school. The top-achieving science nations, like the Scandinavians, teach physics every year beginning in the 6th grade. In America, only a handful of schools, usually private ones, are beginning to promote physics."

Mr. Gross tells it like it is.

My boys said to me: NO WAY, because I´m their mother, not teacher. They said: NO WAY, it´s teacher´s job task to teach them, not us.

Anyway when I enrol my daughters to primary school, their teachers told me I'm their FIRST teacher, because I teach my girls how to talk, write, counting, paint, right path of life and then pass the robe to the teachers afterward!!

And today I STILL teach my children with their school homework and share option with school teachers!!

Reba said:
I really don't expect that to happen. The teachers' unions are too strong in America.

I support your right to do that. If you think there is too much "Christianity" in schools, you have the same right as a Christian family who believes there is too much "humanism" in schools, to decide the education for your children. I believe it is also right for parents to decide to home school their children for even non-religious reasons. Some parents don't like the violence and disrespect in government schools. Some parents don't like the lousy "education" their kids get in government schools. Some children need special attention for their educations, and the government schools can't provide that attention. There are many reasons.

I know some families (not just Christian) home school because they travel frequently. They can pack up the school books, the laptop computer, and the kids into their RV, or on their sail boat, and go. It is a wonderful combination of education and real life travel experience.

Like I said before, home schooling doesn't fit for everyone. But it should be an available option for families who want to do it. I do NOT believe the government should decide a child's school.

Yes, another good reason. Just about every government school now is full of vending machines with junk food and sodas. Ugh!
Thanks for sharing your opinions. I found it very interesting. I believe that military families found it (homeschooling) very useful for their children due to numbers of movings.

Sorry but I am not quite sure what you mean about 'too much humanism'? Care to elaborate on that one?

Reba said:
Magatsu,

I suggest you read the book, The Conspiracy of Ignorance, The Failure of American Public Schools by Martin L. Gross (1999, HarperCollins Publisher, Inc., NY, ISBN 0-06-019458-8).

Here is an excerpt from his book:

"In many European nations, the study of physics, which is never taken here by most students, begins in middle school. The top-achieving science nations, like the Scandinavians, teach physics every year beginning in the 6th grade. In America, only a handful of schools, usually private ones, are beginning to promote physics."

Mr. Gross tells it like it is.
Wow, I definitely have to order that book. Thanks for suggesting! :thumb:

Edit: I googled the book title and I found that book is contributing to Religious Right and their agenda... I found it bit disturbing but I want to read to get other side of this issue anyway.

Last edited:
VamPyroX said:
That's true. However, which would you prefer... a guy who can do simple math and work well with others or a guy who can discuss Einstein's Theory of Relativity and not know how to say "hi" to anyone?
Well, from what I read these experiences -- it appears that they don't have any problem, I mean interacting with social life. However I would like to consider about your side of this issue as well so I will try to find some more articles & information to read about that.

Magatsu said:
Wow, I definitely have to order that book. Thanks for suggesting! :thumb:

Edit: I googled the book title and I found that book is contributing to Religious Right and their agenda... I found it bit disturbing but I want to read to get other side of this issue anyway.
I didn't know that. I'll have to check that out. I bought my copy several years ago, I think at Books A Million. Anyway, if you don't want to "contribute" I suppose you could find it at the library and borrow it. :)

Reba said:
I didn't know that. I'll have to check that out. I bought my copy several years ago, I think at Books A Million. Anyway, if you don't want to "contribute" I suppose you could find it at the library and borrow it. :)
Naw, I want to buy the book anyway. I never like to borrow the books from library for some reason.

This book may be good for me because of my 'Sweden' rants :) Again, thanks for suggesting.

Tamara said:
Anyway when I enrol my daughters to primary school, their teachers told me I'm their FIRST teacher, because I teach my girls how to talk, write, counting, paint, right path of life and then pass the robe to the teachers afterward!!

And today I STILL teach my children with their school homework and share option with school teachers!!

I KNOW what I´m TALKING about, thank you!

We are TALKING here about HOMESCHOOLING, not like what you and I did to help our children with homework as usual. I think you misunderstand all the whole what we talking about the thread here.

Would you pull your children out of public school to teach your children FULL TIME yourself? That´s what we talking about here.

The reason, I am not support homeschooling because I beleive that the teacher who have teacher skill. All what my children bring their homework to home for us to control and support. It´s difference between homework and homeschooling.

I´m surprised that your teacher said that you are first teacher to your children? Because teacher never said this to me. All what my sons´s teacher and I do is support each other what we do with my children. Every parents and teachers must support each other to help their children. I went to parent evenings often and learn alot of tips from teachers what we can do with our children etc BECAUSE they are skill teacher and also physical skills, too. I check with teacher every week how my children get on.

Please check my post one more then you will understand:
That´s what I said in my earlier post.
I use communicate with my children about life, world etc. It educate my children enough with that key of communicate, not hide them from the crazy world.

Reba said:
I don't understand why parents want their children to learn "bad" ways. What is that benefit?

Do you think the children are prefect as angel?
Do you think you would hide your children from "bad" world?
Example about World New TV. Would you let your chlidren watch World New TV? Me, yes because I dont believe to hide my children from bad things but let them to face what good or bad world.
The children will grow up and look something out of curiously what "bad" alike because they didnt know what it is because their parents never told them. It would be worst if they tried out of curiously later. That´s why I edcuate my children what good or bad earlier age. I do let my children to watch POLICE NEW TV over drugs, voliecne, etc. which it held once a month. I never let my children to watch volience movies but TV NEWS and POLICE NEWS/IMFORMATION.

My job to educate my children to not do that etc.
It´s normal that the children tried out of "curiously". My son did tried to smoke out of curiously and dont like it. He confide this to me himself without hide it from me. Why? BECAUSE it´s my job to bring children with attention and TRUST. That´s how my children can tell me everything open. It´s my job to warn my children to not do that etc WITHOUT scream or punish them.

People who home school are not "hiding" their children from the world. They are building strong children, and equipping them to face the world to their best advantage.

I respect your opinion but I see the different.

That is your choice. You know what is best for your family. No one wants to force you to home school. For that same reason, home school parents don't want anyone forcing them to put their children in government schools.[/QUOTE
]

Important is pick right school and which place with good enivornment where we can trust to live.

Reba said:
Exactly!

I believe that parents should filter what their children are exposed to. Like computers--garbage in, garbage out (GIGO). Why should their tender hearts and minds be contaminated with negative, nasty images while they are young? What is the benefit? They only have a short time to live as innocent sweet children. Why ruin it? They will have plenty of years left for learning about all the negative, cruel, filthy facts of life and the world. What is the hurry to destroy their dreams?

like what I said on my earlier post. see above.

See why we choose to live in Germany instead of live in England because of this enivorment. BECAUSE they have very good welfare and children protection law, service, etc. German are fond of children and do everything to protect them. We would not choose to live in Berlin but Southern Germany with good enviroment and right place to live and children upbringing and good school.

I limit my children with computer and TV times. What they can watch or not.

Like what I said in my earlier post that I cant hide my children from world like things in every stores, etc etc... computer, mobile phone, etc etc etc. BUT it´s good that my children respect my limit.

But you don't just let your children go out on the street and experience bullying, swearing, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, racism, etc., do you? You don't want them to go to bed at night and dream about those experiences, do you?

***sigh***, I already said that I educate my children into right path etc. I already said that I let my children face what bad world is through TV news or Police news etc etc. We dont have prostitution, racism, etc etc etc in the area where we live because we live in countryside and school also in small town, too.
BUT.... If parents who live in city with bad enviroment then they also has to educate their children into good path if they found out that their children do wrong then educate them to not do that.
I educate my children if I found my children do something what it´s wrong. My important education is LOVE; RESPECT & ATTENTION.

mmhhhh, the children swearing in the public, I know. Yes, my children learn those words from their friends. All is what I said to them that it´s not nice word. I do not accept those word in my house.

As you say, it is the parents' responsibility to "teach/show them to right path". That is exactly what home school parents want to do.

IMHO

Yes, my opinion that my children should collect their experience what good or bad etc I trust them to do that because they know my education for not go bad path.
My children brought school news everyday what they did in school which it´s interest experience for us. If I consider homeschooling and teach my children full time without let my children collect their news from others? For me, no way. Let my children GO and COLLECT their expereince and bring their exciting news to us everyday. It brings us more expriences and interesting.
This is my opinion.

Reba said:
Government control of children...that is a chilling thought.
For me, not. I am happy that German is stricter about children protection law which it´s safety for the children.

I believe it is parental neglect to leave children in a bad school situation.

I really dont know about American schools. Let AD members answer here because I am not an American.

All what I said in my earlier post that I choose place where I live with good environment and good school. Check my previous posts.

It is the parent's responsibility to be a good influence on the child. What is wrong with influence? Are you saying that you don't influence your child about anything? When your child asks about your beliefs about smoking, good diet, violence, war, alcohol, drug abuse, sex, lying, stealing, bullying, etc., do you not influence? I don't believe parents actually say, "I don't care whether or not you lie or steal; I don't want to influence your decision."

Yes, what I said in my earlier post that it´s parent´s responsilby to give my children good path.
I think you twist my word. There´re a BIG difference between reglious and bad things like volience, drugs, etc etc like what you mention.

No, I would NOT influence my children bad things over reglious but show my children to respect others with their different beliefs. It´s not my job to give my children bad inflence over different reglious and bad things over people etc or not judge people with clothes, houses, etc etc. It´s their CHOICE either which reglious they beleive or not and their choice to have friends. It´s terrible that parents choose children to be friends with their children. For me, NO WAY.

Of course I alway give my children honest answer when they ask me alot of questions without hide it from them when they saw NEWS TV or POLICE NEWS/information TV or newspapers or radio, etc.

Subject about dieting, volience, smoking, etc etc like what you mention is parents´s job to educate with right way.

Reba said:
It is not that hard to get a teaching certificate. A teaching certificate does not prove that the teacher is well-educated, intelligent, moral, compatible with children, or knowledgable about current events. It just proves that they passed the teacher test. Period.

Also, in American schools, not all teachers have certificates. Reason? They can't pass the test.

Oh I see.

Here in Germany is different.
They demand teaching skill/certifcates where they visit to grammar school then college then unvitersity. It took them 3 to 5 years to train to be skill teacher. As far as I know that Germany is the same as Europe demand teacher skill.

My sons have 4 to 5 different teachers a day.

Teacher for history
Teacher for math.
Teacher for English
Teacher for German
Teacher for Scientist
Teacher for sport
Teacher for homecrafts

etc etc etc.

All what I control their hour plan sheet everyday where they has to attend then I pack things in their school bag.

As you see that they have certifcate to teach the children, not us.

All is I control their homeworks when they brought everyday and show them something/educate them/support them etc.

My son has a good report and want to go economical school this year. We are going to apply for him and make further school test. If he pass again then he will start enonomical school this September.

I know that American have elemtery school, high school and public school, private or boarding school but here in Germany is different.

We only have primary school, Secondary school, Grammar school or Enonomical school from 5th Class (5th to 7th class grade only).

That´s why we dont support homeschooling. It´s my opinion because I dont have skill like what teachers have. I do only is support my children with homework etc.

Magatsu said:
Thanks for sharing your opinions. I found it very interesting. I believe that military families found it (homeschooling) very useful for their children due to numbers of movings.

Sorry but I am not quite sure what you mean about 'too much humanism'? Care to elaborate on that one?

No, they have elemetery school and High school for the children of military families in military area where I work.

Every military casernes have elemetary and high school.

Tamara said:

I want to add my post to answer but edit botton is gone. so I add it again.

Of course that we (parents) teach our children how to paint, handcrafts, write, etc. etc. etc. It´s normal for every parents do that, that´s homeschooling is a different, we are talking about here, not what we did with our children everyday like support homeworks, etc etc etc.

That´s what I mean is SKILL TEACHER where they have certifcate to teach the pupils.

It´s difference between parents edcuation like what you said and teacher skill.

That´s what I said in my earlier post.

Today is American Public holiday = Washington´s Birthday, that´s why I am free because I work for US Army caserne.

Anyway, I am alone with my hubby to have chat at breakfast time after my boys gone to school.

We talked about homeschooling again.

I am typing on my hubby´s behalf.

My hubby´s question:

Whats if you have 3 children with 3 or more and less years part in your house.
Would you do with them when you want to have them homeschool? I mean: Example: 3 of children from aged 6 to 16 years. How could you teach the children with difference ages like this? Teach them all in once?
What if parent got pregnant or unwell and cant teach their children during those situation?

I am agree with my hubby´s question because I cant see the sense why the parents teach their children ALL THE DAY when parent spend their time to consider baby like breastfed or bottlefed, etc...father goes to work to earn to support family. mother just had baby etc.... ? mother need to go shopping to buy the foods, clean the house and do garten work etc. Where is parents´s break? I can tell that it´s too much burden on parents with those situation like just have baby, neglect housework, hobby, cook etc.
I had the feeling that it´s not good for the children to have homeschooling.

My hubby is house man and go to work from 5pm to 10pm and I work from 7.30am to 4pm. We share our children upbringing and housework etc. My hubby said that it took him 2 to 3 hours to support my sons with school homework EVERY DAY where they brought their homeworks every afternoon from school. I also control their homeworks, too. I can see that it´s very complication and hard where they learn from school than we learned at our school time. wow! I dont have teacher skill like this what I saw their homeworks :ugh: I´m glad that my sons learn more and better at public school like this than us. My hubby said that he cant image that homeschooling have high score when we saw my sons´s homeworks like this. :ugh: He also cant image that teachers in public school dont have teacher skills like what Reba mentioned in her posts. :ugh:

My hubby said that every websites have their own opinions about high score, etc. This is our opinion that public school is much better education than homeschooling because we dont have any expert like this what I mentioned in my post.

Yes, I know all but I´m not expert like this and want my children to learn any expert teacher like this.

Teacher for history
Teacher for math.
Teacher for English
Teacher for German
Teacher for Scientist
Teacher for sport
Teacher for homecrafts
Teacher for computers tech.
more teachers for etc etc etc

All what we do is support/educate our children where they brought their homework from school. It took 2 or 3 hours to educate them with their homework. It´s education enough for us.

Back