Gallaudet: Losing deaf culture???

Sorry pfh: Oliver Sacks book: Seeing Voices-chapter 3- doesn't mention Gallaudet mugging nearby.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Seriously? I guess you need to write Oliver Sacks a strongly worded letter informing him that some vital information is missing. :giggle:

:cool2: I'm just kidding!!! :laugh2:

Oh, last time I was on gallaudet campus was in 2000. I think. So it has been so long. I would think you would enjoy visiting at Gallaudet. I only know that most students who knows nothing ASL and took ASL classes there and most of them did well. I do not know much about nowaday what gallaudet offers to non students to take ASL classes but being student on campus, have more chances of picking up ASL better and make friends or participling the several of clubs or organizations.

have you contact the administrator handling kind of ASL program at galladuet?

I've seen from their website that they offer non-credit courses and programs including ASL I-VI, Visual Gestural Communication, and ASL special topic areas that are also offered during evening and weekend hours, which would be of most interest to me. If I can get my work to accept me in the part-time work, part-time school program (at least in order to take those courses), they sometimes offer, then I would get a better opportunity to meet more of the students. I took a few ASL courses in college from 2001 until I graduated in 2005, but I want to use other resources first if I can to refresh myself (get myself back to where I left off), so that I am more up to speed and not paying for the same course twice (I might do that anyways). So, I have not contacted the admin yet, but I plan to before the next semester in 2012.:ty:

Banjo: I am not curious- why should I be? Quite vivid "responses" here correct?
Already "survived" over a year here!
Still bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

Then why ask the question in the first place?

Banjo: my response is to your post #81. I am NOT curious to "wander in the local Deaf/deaf/DEAF club(s) here in Toronto to interact with "voice-off" persons. I might also meet the deaf Militants!

I was taking it as a joke as in, the thinking in 2031 as people wondering what's so special about Gally, if they are losing their Deaf Culture now.

Maybe I am wrong/ :dunno:

Yes you got that right. In term of this title "Gallaudet: Losing deaf culture", You know it's pretty sad about how technology have a huge impact on culture. You know "Man create destruction" where as man create atomic bomb to stop the war but have dangerous effect to humans and environments, man create cars to improve the distance and mobility but it create pollutions and now this, man create hearing for the deaf but destroy deaf culture. How we can stop this technology? We can't.

To Sneakernet's observation above consider the electronic device called Cochlear Implant, The ongoing "impact" on the "Deaf/deaf/DEAF community. Harlan Lane's thought-that the Cochlear Implant is "an instrument of genocide" to the Deaf/deaf/DEAF community. Discussed in his book The Journey into the DEAFWORLD.

To Sneakernet's observation above consider the electronic device called Cochlear Implant, The ongoing "impact" on the "Deaf/deaf/DEAF community. Harlan Lane's thought-that the Cochlear Implant is "an instrument of genocide" to the Deaf/deaf/DEAF community. Discussed in his book The Journey into the DEAFWORLD.

Not only just CI, but also stem cell, DNA modification during pregnancy and such.

It's a harsh reality to think about it.

How much "stem cells/DNA modification during pregnancy" will be actualized in the "future" unknown at this time.
Effects on the "Deaf/deaf/.DEAF community also unknown at the present time-though likely a "decrease" in potential members. Consider what happened with the first Hearing Aids then Cochlear Implants next.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07.

Banjo: my response is to your post #81. I am NOT curious to "wander in the local Deaf/deaf/DEAF club(s) here in Toronto to interact with "voice-off" persons. I might also meet the deaf Militants!

You scared? :)

Pfft. You worry too much.

Am I scared of "deaf Militants"? No supposedly DON"T exist like the "bogey person" under the bed.
Not unduly "worried" over potential interaction with "voice off persons"- Real quiet to say the least- especially with Cochlear Implant disconnected. Supposedly an "advantage" of being bilateral DEAF.

Am I scared of "deaf Militants"? No supposedly DON"T exist like the "bogey person" under the bed.
Not unduly "worried" over potential interaction with "voice off persons"- Real quiet to say the least- especially with Cochlear Implant disconnected. Supposedly an "advantage" of being bilateral DEAF.

Then what is the problem?

The human genome was*recently* sequenced and *now* we're going to modify DNA inutero. I must have missed that memo. I gotta start paying attention. lol

Banjo alleged "problem" posited only here on computer screens.
Just checked under the bed- nothing there!

Banjo alleged "problem" posited only here on computer screens. Just checked under the bed- nothing there!

I'm being serious here, what is your purpose of being here? Why do you ask so many questions about Deaf Culture but you are so quick to dismiss any answers you receive?

The title of this forum is AllDeaf.com. I am bilateral DEAF and do have a Cochlear Implant. Thus do fit THIS forum.

Back