Gallaudet: Losing deaf culture???

How "rat funerals" fit into learning ASL -a bit obscure. Oddly enough Oliver Sacks doesn't appear to mention this "important function" in his book Seeing Voices- Chapter 3.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Throw those books out and experience into REAL Gallaudet Journey.

As a Canadian-retired- I have not much interest in going to Gallaudet. However one can marvel at "interesting/serious" nature of "deaf/Deaf/DEAF" learning environment which Dr Oliver Sacks mentioned in Chapter 3- which apparently has "altered somewhat",

Right- time marches on- horse funerals next?

As a Canadian-retired- I have not much interest in going to Gallaudet. However one can marvel at "interesting/serious" nature of "deaf/Deaf/DEAF" learning environment which Dr Oliver Sacks mentioned in Chapter 3- which apparently has "altered somewhat",

Right- time marches on- horse funerals next?

You need to appreciate life more.

I visited Gallaudet once and the only thing I remember about it was being mugged barely a block away from it.

Yup right. the preparatory class used to bury REAL dead rats until late 1980s they were replaced with stuffed rats on order by the University for health reasons. :rme: Once buried, it must be guarded by the participating class for 24 hours. It is one of many favorite Gally traditions that the alumni have cherished most.

I think my class of 1990 was the last that buried the real dead rats although I was never at the rat funeral.

Yeah we had adorable stuffed animal rats, one boy and one girl. LOL We dressed up in so vibe purple and loud neon green during our prep years. Then I didn't get up early AM for the buried rats during our freshmen years. Oh well. lol I had no idea where our cementary of class of 94 rats was buried on gallaudet property. do you?

Sounds like this is a long standing tradition at Gally. I would love to visit Gally, but then again I would like to see D.C. in general.

I would love to visit Gally, but sadly, no plans or money to travel there. I would even be willing to go back to school and go there if I could. And I am 48!

I would love to visit Gally, but sadly, no plans or money to travel there. I would even be willing to go back to school and go there if I could. And I am 48!

me too, not quite as close to the 50s as you.

during my time, that was 1990's, as a student at gallaudet, there were about 3 or 4 students who are over 50's. but i do not know about nowaday. Lots of older deaf people returns to get degrees in order to be able to work at school or deaf services or get promoting at where they used to work with.

Not sure how to" appreciate my life- more" by a visit to Gallaudet other than a decrease of cash to get there?

Not sure how to" appreciate my life- more" by a visit to Gallaudet other than a decrease of cash to get there?

Don't have to go there. You were hearing all your life. no worries

DeafCaroline: Considering we have never met- interesting you believe I have been DEAF all my life. Do you know my parents? Also, One of my brother was implanted at Sunnybrook/Toronto a couple of years ago. MY other brother is at Profound level- not DEAF. Still uses a Hearing aid.

My father was not DEAF either. I understand he was at the "severe loss- 70=90 Db level." If in fact you "know him" than you know what happened-correct?

Not hard for me to mistaken when I became DEAF-December 20, 2006-- silence!

Odd: none of the multiple hearing tests over an extended time- over 40 years picked up I was DEAF at St Michaels/ENT clinic/Toronto- a teaching hospital. Amazing!

A more "interesting question" why such a familial reconstruction-with no basis in fact?

Last edited:
DeafCaroline: Considering we have never met- interesting you believe I have been DEAF all my life. Do you know my parents? Also, One of my brother was implanted at Sunnybrook/Toronto a couple of years ago. MY other brother is at Profound level- not DEAF. Still uses a Hearing aid.

My father was not DEAF either. I understand he was at the "severe loss- 70=90 Db level." If in fact you "know him" than you know what happened-correct?

Not hard for me to mistaken when I became DEAF-December 20, 2006-- silence!

Odd: none of the multiple hearing tests over an extended time- over 40 years picked up I was DEAF at St Michaels/ENT clinic/Toronto- a teaching hospital. Amazing!

A more "interesting question" why such a familial reconstruction-with no basis in fact?

:laugh2: Be nice now... She paid you a complement. :deaf:

One can't help but wonder how the "local Deaf/deaf/DEAF community" here in Toronto interacts in actuality if some of comments here are an"accurate sample"?

No hurry to find out.

Back