Gallaudet: Losing deaf culture???

I should be "careful" what I read-thanks Travis.

Some "comments" here?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I know of 4 people who left G because of hazing....hazing is common in many universities...

The article is not about fraternities and sororities.

JKF mentioned the hazing on non-signing students by upperclassmen in the article. I know it is completely untrue. I already double checked with my friends who went there and we felt she made it up.

Travis: any "suggestions" on whose I shouldn't read or comment on?
Consider in due course.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Fernandes now serves as provost of the University of North Carolina at Asheville. In an e-mail interview, she said, “There remains entrenched at Gallaudet a strong deaf culture that perpetuates a very narrow way to live as a deaf person.”

Now now THAT's is Not appropriate thing to say about Deaf culture, fucking bastards.

its not made up. read the article..

i mean there is always a slip out of 'truths' and this is one of it, in this regard, no small wonder Gally went downhill abit, because of the bloody morons administrated the places when they clearly shouldn't!

W.E.E.D.S !!!

Weak Education Endangering Deaf.Sydrome
:shock:
LOL at first i was not sure what they were talking about because i have never experienced any hazing being in gally for 7 yrs. ;) by the way i found weeds some awkward but funny.

its seem like Fernarodos made some mess and left so it looks like someone else fucked it up...
typical typical, thats what politicans do too

i wasnt either, but i guessed Hazing is that, but it could be something else, i m just playing up LOL

i wasnt either, but i guessed Hazing is that, but it could be something else, i m just playing up LOL

I know I think that was a good one though. too bad you havent been at gally because i know you would like it there.

More likely you end up involving with the kind of debating stuff at gally. right, royale? :hmm:

I don't see anything wrong for hearing person go into that school for specific...

For example; i want my argument about hearing people took or into degree of Educationalist with Deaf environment. I am not going to pull or drag about Deafhood book that I am reading and find that one thing is interesting.

It is something that hearing people SHOULD 'earn' from Gallaudet as hearing is prove that capable of teaching with Deaf children as recognized degree.

I do not like those people who never done with more than one thing such as from just simple hearing peer who took and never expose with Deaf adult but hearing peer. How can that person who is hearing and graduated with degree educate with deaf. They just hope into classroom and start teach. The kids need look up the role or can set example what they learn from Gallaudet to pass on with children.

Again... for those who is hearing and I felt somewhat that they should degree with educate with bi-bi until they go into Gallaudet or the research deaf journey as it small right now. It give them a key journey for children to open the door. Not the oppression or spending time with speech without 'LEARN' the words, vocable and reading skills. Even the writing... I know technology rapid changed into our lifestyle bit spoil this moment.

I felt that Gallaudet is good tool for hearing student who passion for Deaf communicate to IMPROVE or more role for many children to look up. Not look up to SSI, sorry to say that but it has been aged and what... I was told 20 years ago the read average 3-4 grades and still today. I don't see any effort to push 4-5, what are those people been doing? No guideline for parent support their children as speech therapy. It phase therapy mean healing Deaf.. oh come on... we need mash those brain to prepare ready to LEARN and capable to independent. Sorry bit off point, but I think that good benefit but Gallaudet need stay as it is always been that. Don't let that adopt as it is okay as become ASL to AS-what???

Fernandes now serves as provost of the University of North Carolina at Asheville. In an e-mail interview, she said, “There remains entrenched at Gallaudet a strong deaf culture that perpetuates a very narrow way to live as a deaf person.”

Now now THAT's is Not appropriate thing to say about Deaf culture, fucking bastards.

its not made up. read the article..

i mean there is always a slip out of 'truths' and this is one of it, in this regard, no small wonder Gally went downhill abit, because of the bloody morons administrated the places when they clearly shouldn't!

rme, Fernades seems to be one of those "oh they're picking on me, so OBVIOUSLY it's b/c I'm not deaf enough" types. A LOT of orally educated kids have gone to Gally....and the extremists (like the voice off no speech skills) folks are in the minority.

I am d/hh and I was mainstreamed and raised as speaking. not signing, I still get it. Gally is a deaf university for ASL using deaf/Deaf students. If I went there to complete my studies I would fully expect to use ASL and be fluent in it.

If I am not Deaf enough - it's because even though I can relate to the struggles of d/hh individuals - I have a 'hearing' mind because I was raised as I was. Surrounded by hearies, and I seldom, if at all, met someone like myself.

There are more and more deafies being raised in a mainstream setting in an all oral environment with no access to ASL or other deafies. I don't think deaf culture will be completely vanished, but I do believe it's about to take a different turn.

The article is not about fraternities and sororities.

JKF mentioned the hazing on non-signing students by upperclassmen in the article. I know it is completely untrue. I already double checked with my friends who went there and we felt she made it up.

I'm more than capable of reading the article, which I did. Hazing is not just limited to organizations such as frat' groups. There are different kinds of hazing. Hazing evidently is a problem for deaf folks who so not sign fluently, if at all. This was mentioned in the article.

Be careful not to take the article for fact. It's more of an opinion piece.

its seem like Fernarodos made some mess and left so it looks like someone else fucked it up...
typical typical, thats what politicans do too

She did attempt to give the university a bad image after being booted from her position. She showed her true colours when she said that.

Agreed.

anyone who wants to go to gally then they should know ASL already before they become students. that is my opinion.

My native language is English as that was all that was given to me growing up other than a little German tutoring and a couple Spanish classes (seriously, who thought that was a good idea?). In college (another hearing school), I was finally able to take up a couple ASL classes, but not enough to become anywhere near fluent. But now I NEED to replace English with ASL as my primary language. I can't and seriously don't want to hear anymore so a spoken language won't work, but I want to still be able to communicate. I live in McLean, Fairfax County, VA and I searched for ASL classes in my area, but only found three places that offered. NVRC (a resource center more geared to elderly deaf/hh) offered a beginner and intermediate course that ran once a week, for only a couple weeks, and only a couple times a year (more for hearing people that only communicate with ASL-users on occasion) and the classes appeared to be sub-standard. NVCC (community college) offered a few more options. However, I would love to go to Gallaudet which offers both more advanced ASL classes and an environment where I can be fully immersed in the language and culture. I don't care about getting another degree, but Gallaudet seems like the best solution to my issue. Not sure if you meant that a student should know some basic ASL (versus none) or ASL as a language (versus some ASL). What would you recommend?

Dixie;1929368 There are more and more deafies being raised in a mainstream setting in an all oral environment with no access to ASL or other deafies. I don't think deaf culture will be completely vanished said:
And quite frankly I find that to be one of the saddest things ever. Yes, dhh kids should have the option of speech and access to the hearing world....BUT, they should ALSO have the right to learn ASL and take advantage of Deaf Schooling.
On the other hand, I wonder.....The dhh kids who were born in the 90's still
used ASL and attended Deaf Schools....Heck, until ten years ago a lot of the oral schools were still booming. CID still graduated a large 8th grade class.
Maybe this shift simply represents the fact that more and more solotaire oral dhh kids are deciding to attend Gally b/c they're so sick of experiacing the auditory verbal "the hearing world is the best thing in the universe, and the deaf world sucks!" mentality.

Back