Gallaudet: Losing deaf culture???

One can't help but wonder how the "local Deaf/deaf/DEAF community" here in Toronto interacts in actuality if some of comments here are an"accurate sample"?

No hurry to find out.

If you are so curious, why don't you go out and see for yourself?

Banjo: I am not curious- why should I be? Quite vivid "responses" here correct?
Already "survived" over a year here!
Still bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

drphil, for my own clarity in better understanding you and your situation, I would like to ask ... since becoming deaf (or DEAF if you prefer), have you become more involved in your local deaf community than you were prior? Also did you learn ASL quite a while before 2006 or is it something you have learned since(or perhaps not at all)? I apologize if you have addressed these questions somewhere else on this forum in the past but, I am fairly new here and am interested.

drphil, for my own clarity in better understanding you and your situation, I would like to ask ... since becoming deaf (or DEAF if you prefer), have you become more involved in your local deaf community than you were prior? Also did you learn ASL quite a while before 2006 or is it something you have learned since(or perhaps not at all)? I apologize if you have addressed these questions somewhere else on this forum in the past but, I am fairly new here and am interested.

Be nice to Dr Phil. He's been deaf since 1962 and has lots of deaf family members. It's a strong gene there.

He just has a tiny amount of denial, but we love him anyway.

DeafCaroline: Considering we have never met- interesting you believe I have been DEAF all my life. Do you know my parents? Also, One of my brother was implanted at Sunnybrook/Toronto a couple of years ago. MY other brother is at Profound level- not DEAF. Still uses a Hearing aid.

My father was not DEAF either. I understand he was at the "severe loss- 70=90 Db level." If in fact you "know him" than you know what happened-correct?

Not hard for me to mistaken when I became DEAF-December 20, 2006-- silence!

Odd: none of the multiple hearing tests over an extended time- over 40 years picked up I was DEAF at St Michaels/ENT clinic/Toronto- a teaching hospital. Amazing!

A more "interesting question" why such a familial reconstruction-with no basis in fact?

Don't know your family at all. Someone else on AD mentioned your brothers and father are deaf. In a family with so many deaf members, it's admittedly surprising you don't talk about them nor does it appear you know or use sign, I don't know about the other members of your family. You say there's no deaf community in Toronto but your own family is practically a deaf community onto itself.

Don't know your family at all. Someone else on AD mentioned your brothers and father are deaf. In a family with so many deaf members, it's admittedly surprising you don't talk about them nor does it appear you know or use sign, I don't know about the other members of your family. You say there's no deaf community in Toronto but your own family is practically a deaf community onto itself.

So they can do it their way as there should be enough of them!

I was asking in all sincerity, with true curiousity. He said he has been DEAF since 2006, did not know if he was deaf or HoH before that. I did read and understand about the family members he mentioned but I am having a bit of a hard time understanding where he is coming from on some of his posts so I thought, rather than assume, I would ask for clarity. I am always curious but never in an evil way (at least I don't think :-/).

Want to share my couch here in the 'confused corner' Caroline? ;-)

Journey: Re prior/post involvement "local deaf/Deaf DEAF community" here in Toronto: none. I understand "they" are part of Bob Rumballs Centre for the Deaf- on Bayview. No afternoon/evening discussions "chats" ( voice off?) re: "deaf values" "deaf sports".-planned.

I have been part of Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto since 1992 re: Coping with Hearing loss/speechreading classes. Not their Deaf section which is on a different floor.

ASL classes: took 3 separate Intro classes I believe 1994/5/6 in the night school system here in Toronto-Danforth & Northern Secondary. Arrived at the conclusion-almost impossible to learn without extensive practice OUTSIDE the classes. No doubt not knowing personally any "deaf/Deaf/DEAF person"-difficult. It has "suggested here before"- I should have shifted all current activities and interact with "just persons who know Asl". Declined.

To contextualize the above-I lost all hearing in my RIGHT ear in February/92. Prior to that date I had 2 Hearing aids since the early 70s. I was in the Profound category. I was advised- St Michaels ENT-1992 that- I would "eventually" become DEAF. At this point of time I was still in Profound category-LEFT. Deafness happened December 20, 2006. Thus my prior interest in deafness/Cochlear Implants.

The date 1962 relates only moving to Toronto from Windsor- nothing to do with deafness- as such.

All comments are my experiences to date.

Be nice to Dr Phil. He's been deaf since 1962 and has lots of deaf family members. It's a strong gene there.

He just has a tiny amount of denial, but we love him anyway.

thank you for mentioning about 1962. Thanks.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Curmudgeonly Uncle Dr. Phil needs to learn to be nice. No excuse for that. If he doesn't behave, perhaps he needs to go to the "children's table."

Thank you, drphil, for taking the time to share your background. I appreciate your openess and now have a better understanding of some of the prior posts I have read.I certainly agree with your conclusion regarding ASL - I know, for myself, when I away from my deaf friends or the deaf community for any length of time (even just a couple of weeks), both my ability to express and receive ASL declines. "Use it or lose it" was never so relevant to me before, ha! Thanks again, information shared always equals knowledge gained :).

My brother was involved with one of the fraternities...I was there when there was supposedly "hazing" ..what I saw was nothing compared to the hazing that went on at Arizona State University. However, that was back in 2000 to 2001. Maybe it is a problem now?

I know that ASU did have a problem with hazing but not sure about now.

ASU still has a big problem with hazing...

ASU still has a big problem with hazing...

Still? Geez...Great college but the hazing problem was an issue back then. Cant believe it hasnt been solved.

Sorry pfh: Oliver Sacks book: Seeing Voices-chapter 3- doesn't mention Gallaudet mugging nearby.

Back