Deaf doctors or student doctors information?

Vance

Reaction score
So far I am only deaf who is taking the courses at Osteopathic university to graduate as Osteopathic physican. I have been wondering if am I only deaf as medical student to become a doctor?

I made many calls and asked different people in certain departments to find out but all of them gave me the same answer: "I don't think any deaf people has ever take the courses in medical university or becoming a doctor."

Well, you know, they usually don't have enough information on deafies... I want to meet or get in contact with these deafie doctors to ask several questions about doctor issues & their experiences in doctor field(s) with hearing patients.

I plan to apply to work in San Francisco or Berkeley since North Californians are pretty radical and open-minded so I know for sure that they will have no problem with a deafie doctor. Or I can transfer to Sweden if situation gets worse in America (yes, they do allow deafie to work as doctor in their country). Anyway the question is: do any of you know or heard anything about deafie doctor(s)? If so, where? and is there any way for me to contact them or that person?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

theres a deaf doctor somewhere in east coast. that i have seen on t.v. while 60 min interview with him and others had interview with that doctor... i think and believe his name is chris smith.. correct me if i'm wrong.. he's a general practice doctor and i watched the show and amazing how those techology he use to check the heart rate, lungs, etc.. its amazing story.. however that was back in 90's.. 97 to 99 to be more specific.

Sweet. Thanks both of you! I definitely am checking these out. Again, thanks!

You might want to check the website: www.amphl.org
They have interesting information for the medical professionals with hearing loss.

I think the one you're thinking is Dr. Scott Smith? - http://www.news.ecu.edu/july96tab/smith.html

There is another young deaf doctor somewhere in Florida - I believe in Jacksonville-Duval County (FL) BUT I cannot think what the name is right now. He was featured several years ago - around 2002.

Excellent, now I know who to look for and contact. Many thanks, Brian and Mayflower. You guys are being very helpful!

I have a friend who's a deaf dentist. He was ranked as one of the top 10 students to get the highest score within the southern states.

Magatsu said:
I plan to apply to work in San Francisco or Berkeley since North Californians are pretty radical and open-minded so I know for sure that they will have no problem with a deafie doctor. Or I can transfer to Sweden if situation gets worse in America (yes, they do allow deafie to work as doctor in their country). Anyway the question is: do any of you know or heard anything about deafie doctor(s)? If so, where? and is there any way for me to contact them or that person?

I guess you are from the Bay Area too. You should try UCSF. Northern Cali people are very open-minded and friendly. You don't really need to know any deaf doctors in order to get the job. I don't know any deaf scientists or researchers personally. I spent whole two months looking for biotech/lab jobs after I graduated this summer. I was turned down after interviews (one personal interview and two telephone interviews (with my dad's help)). I started to feel hopeless, and I emailed my biology professor to ask what I could do. His reply was very good. He told me to be assertive and proactive during interviews and said that I should write a personal statement to prove that I could be a scientist in spite of my hearing disability. After that, I sent both my resume and personal statement out to companies and universities. Just after a week, I got the job offer at UC Berkeley. During the interview, the professor was impressed by my intelligent questions about her research projects, even thought she had to write a lot of things down (I had a hard time reading her lips), but she didn't mind. I think my personal statement really helped me go through this interview. Good luck on your job hunting!

Last edited:
There is a deaf doctor that practices in Rochester area near RIT, he is really young though

Fresh Doctor Material(maniacle laughter)

Hi, All you need to do is a google search and type in Deaf Doctors.
It should be very encouraging.
Will you study chiropratic as well? I would encourage you.
If I could find a doctor who was deaf as well as being able
to do adjustments I would go to him even though I am hearing.
I try to take every oportunity I can to practice.

I am a disabled vietnam veteran with an intrest in the deaf
community and ASL. I have a medical background but due
to injuries was unable to complete. Since then I have
developed an intrest in alternative therapies and have
done private research in this area for ten years. If you
have any questions along this line I would be happy to
assist. (things like alternative treatments for CHF, and
alternative therapies to encourage calcium adsorption
and uptake) Most anything natural. Even have a scientific
explatnation for how homeopathic preparations work if
you are interested.
Congrates and keep on!

To Vance

Hello Vance,

I wanted to know if you would be in the Philadelphia area or able to visit the Philadelphia area around the 23rd of Jan. I am a 3rd year at PCOM. I am having some students from the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf come to PCOM to see a medical school and learn what is needed to become a doctor. I think that it would be great for them to hear from a current student doctor who is deaf. Do you think that you would be available to do something like this?

Hello Vance,

I wanted to know if you would be in the Philadelphia area or able to visit the Philadelphia area around the 23rd of Jan. I am a 3rd year at PCOM. I am having some students from the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf come to PCOM to see a medical school and learn what is needed to become a doctor. I think that it would be great for them to hear from a current student doctor who is deaf. Do you think that you would be available to do something like this?

Did you notice that Vance has not been here for two and a half years?:hmm:

Yes, I know there is a deaf doctor who can only sign. I saw this in a tape from the Captioned Media free loan program about deaf people in different careers. Too bad because now it is not available to anyone hearing impaired.

Back