Need Deaf/HoH Registered Nurses and Doctors!

D

Deaf258

I have a little information that the BYU (Brigham Young University) administration has rudely and harshly discriminated a Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing student. She is trying to earn a degree in Nursing and the administrators told her she is not allowed to earn her degree simply because she was Deaf/Hard-of-hearing! She still has one more year to go before she is supposed to graduate, but BYU is stubborn in not letting her get what she earned. If you had found out what exactly was going on, you would be VERY appalled by the treatment the student has been receiving from the BYU administrators and professors!!

I need your help in finding Deaf and Hard of hearing Registered Nurses and Doctors so that my friend can collect statements for an upcoming court battle with BYU!!

Please PM me any info you find. Many thanks to those who will help out!

Thanks again!
Philip/Deaf258

Don't fret, BYU are idiots

I'm applying to medical school this summer and I know there are a bunch of deaf doctors out there. I personally know two deaf paramedics who were certified through National Registry of Emergency Medical Techician (NREMT) and they have been working with one of Emergency Medical Services.

UCLA have awarded a M.D. degree to a deaf student in the past and currently they have one deaf female student in their medical school. She just completed her 2nd year medical school and is starting her 3rd year clinical rotations this coming fall.

There is an organization called Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses (AMPHL) that your friend can use as a reference in the court battle. They have a website and it is at http://www.amphl.org. The board officers are either deaf or hard-of-hearing who are RN, PA, MD or DVM. On this site, they have links to various articles about deaf people in health professions. This site is aimed for deaf students who wish to recieve an MD or DVM degree but that would work well for RN students too.

Also, ADA Title II & Title III requires hospitals and clinics to provide reasonable accomodations for deaf nurses or doctors in order to be able to perform physical exams, to interview patients, etc. That goes the same for national certification exams where they must offer an alternative to the practical aspect of exam where a student must demostrate practical skills performed on patients (heart, lung and gut sounds for example).

I hope this information will assist your friend in her court battle. I wish her best of the luck. She certainly can contact me for more details if she wants to get in touch with my EMT friend or the UCLA medical student.

Josh

OMG -- i cant believe the idiots at BYU!!!!!!!! i have several relatives who has attended BYU over the years and im throughly shocked AND appalled with their discrimination against deaf nursing/doctorate majors!!!!!!

Deaf258 -- id like to join u on this crusade!!!! this is appalling my god!!! i support ur friend's battle with BYU and taking it to court!!!! :grouphug: for u and ur friend!!!

:madfawk: at BYU for their blantant discrimination!!!! grrrr *steaming*

Hmm... how did you hear about this? Did you actually see this happen? This sounds hard to believe. I've seen students get pissed off at their teachers for treating them wrongly because they were deaf and Greek. However, I later find out that he was actually cheating on his tests and reports. The reason why he failed the class was because another student reported on him.

That's why I'm asking what your sources were and what is really going on.

Talk to Mayflower, 258. She’s a respiratory therapist. She and I attended an informal AMPHL lunch in Anaheim last month along with three deaf RN’s, a representative of CSD Fremont, and Nghi Lu—the UCLA student whom fork mentioned. We discussed the issue of discrimination in the medical field at some length. Ask Mayflower if she would put you in contact with her friend Nancy, who was at that meeting and has been involved in a dispute with her employer over wrongful termination.

Last edited:
VamPyroX said:
Hmm... how did you hear about this? Did you actually see this happen? This sounds hard to believe. I've seen students get pissed off at their teachers for treating them wrongly because they were deaf and Greek. However, I later find out that he was actually cheating on his tests and reports. The reason why he failed the class was because another student reported on him.

That's why I'm asking what your sources were and what is really going on.

It is not a rumor. Since she has enrolled in BYU, the professors have been intentionally giving this Deaf student extra homework than her fellow classmates so they can make her "prove it" that she can make it. It is unequal and undue hardship.

Deaf258 said:
It is not a rumor. Since she has enrolled in BYU, the professors have been intentionally giving this Deaf student extra homework than her fellow classmates so they can make her "prove it" that she can make it. It is unequal and undue hardship.
How do you know that they are giving her extra homework? Has she personally talked with the teacher. Has she talked to her academic advisor? Has she talked to the department chairperson?

I know her and her husband. I taught her mother ASL a couple weeks ago. I know.

Just about everyone in BYU gave her a hard time.

In Bay Area, my interpreters talked about one deaf doctor who works in ER. They had to chase him and no break in 12 hours. They said he was always very busy person, and he had to change different tasks in ER. He worked for the state. My interpreters told me that they do not want to work like this again ever. The doctor moved to East Coast.

there is a deaf young lady who moved from arizona to SLC and now working as a nurse in local hospital there. perhaps she can provide some pointers ? ill take to dig up some numbers and make a few calls to see if she willing to help.
On a side note, there was a HOH young man whom became a doctor living in MD now i beleive, but its been awhile with contacting them too. So, there are deaf/HOH out there as nurses/deaf but its the same everywhere you go- we have to fight for what we want and its hard to prove discrimination too. I wish you best of luck and will pull for you as long you dont give up.

Why byu discriminate against deafies? I thought Mormons were suppose to be accepting of all.

Deaf can do anything, except join the military. There are deaf doctors, nurses, professors, pilots, engineers .. you name it.

This thread is 5 years old, but for anyone interested, visit AMPHL - Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses which is the Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses.

My son's pediatrician who was instrumental in supporting my decisions to include sign in my son's environment, was hearing until a few years ago, when he suddenly lost all of his hearing due to an accident. He opted for a unilateral CI, but is still profoundly deaf. I always thought that it was such a coincidence that he took a different perspective (regarding sign with my son) than the majority of medical professionals I had contact with, and then ended up, later in life, becoming deaf. My son was also his first deaf patient, and his introduction into the experiences of a deaf child. He was so accepting and open minded, I have often thought that perhaps, that was fate's way of preparing him for what was to happen in his own life.

Kind of off topic, I know, but this thread reminded me, and I think it is an interesting story.

yes, but deaf people cannot be a pilot for a 747, only small planes with an instructor or a hearing person alongside, per FAA rules.

But it can be done with 300 people on board, using the TRS or an inteprreter between the cokcpit or captioning radio....

Deaf can do anything, except join the military. There are deaf doctors, nurses, professors, pilots, engineers .. you name it.

Back