CPS teacher strike and Illinois area....

I thought about that. But realistically, if they want to get federal money, they'll probably have to establish some national minimum standards.

Mind you, I'm saying IF they don't want their $$$ to depend on local property taxes. If that's the case, something's gotta give.

Ah, yes I agree.

I have :) You are focusing on 2 of many accrediting agencies.
actually there are 6 major regional accreditation agencies for secondary education. You know what regional means, right?

It would make no sense for NJ schools to be accredited by SCA since it does not cover northeast region. For NJ school, they would be accredited by NJ state government and/or MSCSE. and Illinois schools would be accredited by their own state and/or NCA.

Oh look....UC has the same policy.

University of California - Eligibility & selection

Admission.......by........exception..... :cool2:
that's fascinating. Still doesn't prove your claim that most private schools go thru accreditation agencies.

All you have to do is prove your claim that most private schools go thru accreditation processes. This is very simple. Pick any state... find a total number of private schools. and then find a total number of them being accredited.

:)

I thought about that. But realistically, if they want to get federal money, they'll probably have to establish some national minimum standards.

Mind you, I'm saying IF they don't want their $$$ to depend on local property taxes. If that's the case, something's gotta give.

Good points.
That's what "No Child Left Behind" Act is for. It's a failure. National minimum standard is impossible.

Yea I thought so

"You see, some of us speak from experience rather than google." *chuckling* classic..... classic.... :lol:

:) You should get involved.....It's a great experience.

actually there are 6 major regional accreditation agencies for secondary education. You know what regional means, right?

It would make no sense for NJ schools to be accredited by SCA since it does not cover northeast region. For NJ school, they would be accredited by NJ state government and/or MSCSE. and Illinois schools would be accredited by their own state and/or NCA.

that's fascinating. Still doesn't prove your claim that most private schools go thru accreditation agencies.

All you have to do is prove your claim that most private schools go thru accreditation processes. This is very simple. Pick any state... find a total number of private schools. and then find a total number of them being accredited.

:)

"Major"

Meh, I feel no need to prove it. :) If people doubt the statement they are free to research for themselves. *shrug*

I think it is a fair point. Kids today have to learn computers which wasn't a thing in the past. But at the same time computers have given kids more learning resources.
But they've dropped other requirements of the past, (such as cursive writing, penmanship, Bible reading, singing, art, spelling, etc.) in order to allow more time for the "new" subjects.

When I interpreted some middle school classes that used smart board clickers or laptops, it seemed that a good portion of the class time was used passing out and collecting the equipment, replacing ones that didn't work, rebooting, explaining the process of each new task, etc.

More time is wasted in changing classes, loading and unloading backpacks, asking to go to the bathroom during class, and just plain goofing around. Then, there's sending kids to the office, retrieving kids from the office, being interrupted by PA announcements, and lock-down drills. (This was in the best public school of the best district; I can't imagine what happens in the other schools.) Because there were kids in the class that needed early dismissal from each period due to mobility problems, the teachers weren't allowed to teach anything during the last 10 minutes of each period. The Deaf students had to be dismissed from the final period early for their special bus, so no instruction was allowed during the last 10 minutes of the day.

Class time is also hurt by teaching to the test and the aching PC stuff that we didn't have to put up with years ago.
Yep.

"Major"

Meh, I feel no need to prove it. :) If people doubt the statement they are free to research for themselves. *shrug*

That's why I researched and confirmed that you're wrong. We all saw it thru your usual M.O.

oh well.

That's what "No Child Left Behind" Act is for. It's a failure. National minimum standard is impossible.
I was referring to funding for the physical plant, supplies, and staffing, not academic standards.

But they've dropped other requirements of the past, (such as cursive writing, penmanship, Bible reading, singing, art, spelling, etc.) in order to allow more time for the "new" subjects.

When I interpreted some middle school classes that used smart board clickers or laptops, it seemed that a good portion of the class time was used passing out and collecting the equipment, replacing ones that didn't work, rebooting, explaining the process of each new task, etc.

More time is wasted in changing classes, loading and unloading backpacks, asking to go to the bathroom during class, and just plain goofing around. Then, there's sending kids to the office, retrieving kids from the office, being interrupted by PA announcements, and lock-down drills. (This was in the best public school of the best district; I can't imagine what happens in the other schools.) Because there were kids in the class that needed early dismissal from each period due to mobility problems, the teachers weren't allowed to teach anything during the last 10 minutes of each period. The Deaf students had to be dismissed from the final period early for their special bus, so no instruction was allowed during the last 10 minutes of the day.

Yep.

Wow....SMH

That's why I researched and confirmed that you're wrong. We all saw it thru your usual M.O.

oh well.

I don't believe you did, you looked up 2 agencies. :lol: But if it makes you feel better to believe that, it's ok. I am sure most people here can see that when a University states "an occasional applicant from a non-accredited high school" like the UGA site, non-accredited applicants are the minority. Furthermore, I am confident that most posters here are intelligent enough to see that "admission by exception" would be applied to a minority of students and not a majority. Hence "exception".

But please feel free to believe what you want. :)

I really am wondering about this. How much of saying the kids don't do as well as years ago comes from being expected to do more advanced work to be considered at "grade level"?

Hi Jane B,

I wish I knew more about this. I know what you are saying is true - kids start learning certain concepts earlier in their education. I do not know the background, particularly as it relates to math. With reading, the introduction of reading skills comes much earlier in the curriculum, than in previous decades. If I can recall my college years (kind of a stretch) it seems to me that new ways of teaching reading were implemented which allowed kids to develop base reading skills earlier. So the topic of reading can be introduced earlier in the education process because the "way" you teach reading has changed and more easily absorbed by Pre-K-1 grade students.

I wish I knew more. tlk

Yep.

but did it produce a good result such as high percentage of graduation rate and college participation rate?

For example - my high school (grade 9-12) currently has 1,402 students with 15.44 student/teacher ratio and has 97.13% graduation rate. NJ has 71.1% college participate rate as of 2008 and I believe my school has about 90% college participation rate judging from my grade and my brother's grade.

10% - some went into military. some go straight into family businesses or work. very few "gave up" in life.

I don't believe you did, you looked up 2 agencies. :lol:
I'm not quite sure what kind of difficulty you're having in understanding this simple thing. Other agencies from different region cannot accredit this school not from same region since it's regional based. And there are no "many accreditation agencies." There are basically 6 accrediting agencies formally recognized by 50 states.

Example of Kansas Department of Education recognizing regional accrediting agencies - Recognized K-12 Accrediting Agencies

I see that Kansas listed only 5... either it does not recognize NWAC or forgot to add one more :lol:

But if it makes you feel better to believe that, it's ok. I am sure most people here can see that when a University states "an occasional applicant from a non-accredited high school" like the UGA site, non-accredited applicants are the minority. Furthermore, I am confident that most posters here are intelligent enough to see that "admission by exception" would be applied to a minority of students and not a majority. Hence "exception".

But please feel free to believe what you want. :)
Yes... because the high schools accredited by those 6 agencies I've listed produce a majority of students applying to accredited colleges. And there are few other "independent" accrediting agencies specifically for private schools and I'm sure most colleges do accept it.

So they're assuring those students from non-accredited schools and also home-schooled students that they can apply.

I'm not quite sure what kind of difficulty you're having in understanding this simple thing. Other agencies from different region cannot accredit this school not from same region since it's regional based. And there are no "many accreditation agencies." There are basically 6 accrediting agencies formally recognized by 50 states.

"Basically"? Only 6? :hmm:

Yes... because the high schools accredited by those 6 agencies I've listed produce a majority of students applying to accredited colleges.

That is really amazing seeing that you claimed this earlier...

In case you didn't know, most public schools are not accredited

And there are few other "independent" accrediting agencies specifically for private schools and I'm sure most colleges do accept it.

You are sure? Interesting.....but irrelevant. Whether or not a college accepts a certain accreditation does not change the fact that it is an accreditation.

but did it produce a good result such as high percentage of graduation rate and college participation rate?
It was a middle school, not high school.

Back