Broken furnance Part II

My furnace picture, as promised

Attachments

• IMG_20140129_100353_0.jpg
    IMG_20140129_100353_0.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 20
Now you get why I said that. This is not cheap to maintain.

Right. From the looks of it, looks like it isn't too old or anything. Should last long time. Repairs make sense rather than replacing it but what do I know.

Glad things are back to normal for you now. Let's hope it doesn't break down again anytime soon.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

MangaReader said:
Now you get why I said that. This is not cheap to maintain.

Right. From the looks of it, looks like it isn't too old or anything. Should last long time. Repairs make sense rather than replacing it but what do I know.

Glad things are back to normal for you now. Let's hope it doesn't break down again anytime soon.

The thing is at least 40 years old. It's a late 1970's/early 1980's furnace.

Well, I just found out that they are indeed going to replace the entire furnace with a brand new one, starting tomorrow, and lasting from 8 AM to 4 PM or so.

whatdidyousay! said:
I prefer cute, fluffy baby kitties, thanks. They warm up my heart. That, and baby duckies, too.

Baby duckies grow up to be big ducks that can be nasty and poop nonstop.

True, but I'm not talking real life-- baby duckie pictures will suffice.

That is one thing I like about my house is that we still heat it with a wood stove. Long as we keep the wood cut its always in working order. unless of course the wood gets wet haha. thats been known to happen a couple times. being cold just plain sucks

Well, I just found out that they are indeed going to replace the entire furnace with a brand new one, starting tomorrow, and lasting from 8 AM to 4 PM or so.
That should make things a lot more comfortable at your house. :)

Reba said:
That should make things a lot more comfortable at your house. :)

Yup. Replacing that isn't gonna come cheap, though. We're talking at least $10K to replace it, possibly more.

That is one thing I like about my house is that we still heat it with a wood stove. Long as we keep the wood cut its always in working order. unless of course the wood gets wet haha. thats been known to happen a couple times. being cold just plain sucks
We have a wood stove, too. Love it! So far, in all our years with the stove, we haven't had to buy any wood, so it's been a good deal. TCS cuts his own wood, and once a year we either rent or borrow a wood splitter to finish it.

In a pinch, if necessary, we could actually heat water or cook on the top of the stove, too. Usually we keep a pot of water there to add humidity to the room.

Yup. Replacing that isn't gonna come cheap, though. We're talking at least $10K to replace it, possibly more.
At least you don't have to pay for it yourself.

When we have to replace our system (hopefully no time soon) it will come out of our pockets. Probably about $3,500 for the heat pump and $3,500 for the furnace. Ugh.

We have a wood stove, too. Love it! So far, in all our years with the stove, we haven't had to buy any wood, so it's been a good deal. TCS cuts his own wood, and once a year we either rent or borrow a wood splitter to finish it.

In a pinch, if necessary, we could actually heat water or cook on the top of the stove, too. Usually we keep a pot of water there to add humidity to the room.

Being so close to the ocean, you humidify your house. Is that just in the wintertime?

Being so close to the ocean, you humidify your house. Is that just in the wintertime?
Definitely just in the winter if we're running the heater or using the wood stove. Otherwise, we have too much humidity. In the summer we have 90-100% humidity. Whew!

Update: I am attempting to find out if the broken furnace has been repaired or not. If it hasn't, then a change of clothes and some personal needs are in order. Probably gonna need to collect some clothes and toss them in a suitcase or something.

My concern is that if they have to replace it, it's gonna cost between $10K to $20K to replace an entire furnace system.

a brand new furnace is only around 1000 installed ( thats just replacing an old unit... they wont have to install all new duct work. Hell my entire system including all ducts/sheetmetal was only $6300 installed. Took 2-1/2 days.

sonocativo said:
Update: I am attempting to find out if the broken furnace has been repaired or not. If it hasn't, then a change of clothes and some personal needs are in order. Probably gonna need to collect some clothes and toss them in a suitcase or something.

My concern is that if they have to replace it, it's gonna cost between $10K to $20K to replace an entire furnace system.

a brand new furnace is only around 1000 installed ( thats just replacing an old unit... they wont have to install all new duct work. Hell my entire system including all ducts/sheetmetal was only $6300 installed. Took 2-1/2 days.

They are replacing the entire system in 8 hours. We have to be out of the house before they begin work. I'm gonna need to be up at 5:30 AM tomorrow to pack up a few things I'll need to keep busy. I also need to stop by the bank today to get what money I have left for lunch tomorrow.

I wonder if they're also charging for removing the old system? These days every time something has to be removed from a house and disposed of seems to increase the cost exponentially.

Back