Broken furnance Part II

Your house is 100 years old? I think old houses aren't bad without AC, but new houses are worse.

This house is 40+ years old. It's not new.

This house is 40+ years old. It's not new.

Ok, 40 years house seems not designed to live without AC, but if built in 1920s, 1930s so it will be different story.

Our house is 9 years old.

Ok, 40 years house seems not designed to live without AC, but if built in 1920s, 1930s so it will be different story.

Our house is 9 years old.

That's new. This house was built in the late '70s early '80s, so it's quite old. They are upgrading it bit by bit. The furnace wasn't supposed to break down, but it became necessary to replace it.

My grandmother's house in Connecticut was built in the 1860's. It was a two-story house with a rough basement. She never had AC and the house was comfortable in the summer. Once in a while we had to use a table fan but that was all. Usually she would open the front and back doors and the air would go thru one screen, thru the house, and out the other. It was about one mile from the beach, so there was usually a nice breeze.

My grandmother's house in Connecticut was built in the 1860's. It was a two-story house with a rough basement. She never had AC and the house was comfortable in the summer. Once in a while we had to use a table fan but that was all. Usually she would open the front and back doors and the air would go thru one screen, thru the house, and out the other. It was about one mile from the beach, so there was usually a nice breeze.

That's a valuable house. Is it still in the family?

That's a valuable house. Is it still in the family?
It was sold when my grandma died in 1986. :( I loved staying in that house. Dormer bedrooms, formal staircase in the front and "secret" staircase in the back, extremely wide-plank wood floors, front porch where we would sit and rock, kitchen with sink pump and pot-belly stove, huge yard with lots of shade trees, a quick trip to the private beach . . . sigh.

It was sold when my grandma died in 1986. :( I loved staying in that house. Dormer bedrooms, formal staircase in the front and "secret" staircase in the back, extremely wide-plank wood floors, front porch where we would sit and rock, kitchen with sink pump and pot-belly stove, huge yard with lots of shade trees, a quick trip to the private beach . . . sigh.

Trip down memory lane tells me that house was a lot of good fun.

Trip down memory lane tells me that house was a lot of good fun.
It was. I spent a lot of overnights with my grandma. I really enjoyed my time with her. I learned a lot from her, too.

It was. I spent a lot of overnights with my grandma. I really enjoyed my time with her. I learned a lot from her, too.

No wonder you miss it. I can understand why. My family has a few properties formerly owned by relatives who were alive less than 5 years ago, and they stay in the family, and we take care of the properties.

In addition to that new furnace, we also have this:

Attachments

• Double Gas Meters.jpg
    Double Gas Meters.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 20
one for each apartment.... not both yours.

I do not live in an apartment. I live in a HOUSE. Those gas meters to to that house. If you've forgotten the size of the furnace we have here, I suggest you go back and take a good look, and you'll see why there are two.

I do not live in an apartment. I live in a HOUSE. Those gas meters to to that house. If you've forgotten the size of the furnace we have here, I suggest you go back and take a good look, and you'll see why there are two.

Unless you live in a factory...wait...they only have one as well....lol
Was the house a duplex at one time, converted to a single family? Wouldnt matter the size of the furnace, one gas meter is suffice to run an entire house...lol Im begining to think that house is just as messed up.

Unless you live in a factory...wait...they only have one as well....lol
Was the house a duplex at one time, converted to a single family? Wouldnt matter the size of the furnace, one gas meter is suffice to run an entire house...lol Im begining to think that house is just as messed up.

This house used to have one, but the gas company added another one, and don't ask me why, cause I :dunno: why they did that.

They may have put in one of the new smart meters that can be read remotely and didn't remove the old one which required someone to walk to the house to physically read the meter. Some meters just had an old part removed and a new part put on, but some meters may not have been working right and it could just have been easier and more cost effective for them to just put a replacement meter right there and leave the old one. You could always call the company.

My strategy for heating system, this morning has PAID OFF! I always like the idea of having dual (Hybrid) heating system. I have primary natural gas furnace and wood stove. Furnace and wood stove always work together automatically, just the type of fuel is mainly wood, otherwise it will use N'Gas when needed. I use Woodstove all the way. Well, last night I am not sure why it (Wood stove) didn't burn hot, just burning low and it was -4 degree outside. Natural gas furnace was supposed to take over this morning but it didn't. I am not sure if I got bad circuit board or clogged ventilation pipes. Will find out later on, just pushed my wood burning stove hotter.

Called the HVAC guy, told him no rush for me, focus on their customers that don't have heat at all. :) They will come whenever and tell me whats the problem and fix it. Whew no emergency surcharge for me EVEN when weather that cold!

My strategy for heating system, this morning has PAID OFF! I always like the idea of having dual (Hybrid) heating system. I have primary natural gas furnace and wood stove. Furnace and wood stove always work together automatically, just the type of fuel is mainly wood, otherwise it will use N'Gas when needed. I use Woodstove all the way. Well, last night I am not sure why it (Wood stove) didn't burn hot, just burning low and it was -4 degree outside. Natural gas furnace was supposed to take over this morning but it didn't. I am not sure if I got bad circuit board or clogged ventilation pipes. Will find out later on, just pushed my wood burning stove hotter.

Called the HVAC guy, told him no rush for me, focus on their customers that don't have heat at all. :) They will come whenever and tell me whats the problem and fix it. Whew no emergency surcharge for me EVEN when weather that cold!

Interesting, please come back to post when you learn something what went wrong with your wood stove.

Nothing wrong with wood stove, just N'gas furnace that won't fire natural gas. If it were not for wood stove, I will be screwed up for today.

Interesting, please come back to post when you learn something what went wrong with your wood stove.

Back