Broken furnance Part II

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

Reba said:
a brand new furnace is only around 1000 installed ( thats just replacing an old unit... they wont have to install all new duct work. Hell my entire system including all ducts/sheetmetal was only $6300 installed. Took 2-1/2 days.
I wonder if they're also charging for removing the old system? These days every time something has to be removed from a house and disposed of seems to increase the cost exponentially.

That's what I'm thinking.

That is one thing I like about my house is that we still heat it with a wood stove. Long as we keep the wood cut its always in working order. unless of course the wood gets wet haha. thats been known to happen a couple times. being cold just plain sucks

I just got hit with a $375 heating bill on the electric furnace due to this extreme cold, but next year will be $0 as I will have the wood burners installed, plenty of wood once these trees are down. I got 3 years of burning just on 2 oak trees, then I have a bunch of ash and elm, also cherry, apples which I will set aside for smoking in the BBQ. So I got wood on my property for a good few years and I will pick up free wood throughout the year since I have a truck again. My buddy also has a wooded lot he wants clear and since its out in the open I can drop them with no issues and again free wood.

They are replacing the entire system in 8 hours. We have to be out of the house before they begin work. I'm gonna need to be up at 5:30 AM tomorrow to pack up a few things I'll need to keep busy. I also need to stop by the bank today to get what money I have left for lunch tomorrow.

Not quite the entire system would be my guess because I don't think they are going to replace the ducts......are they?

Tousi said:

They are replacing the entire system in 8 hours. We have to be out of the house before they begin work. I'm gonna need to be up at 5:30 AM tomorrow to pack up a few things I'll need to keep busy. I also need to stop by the bank today to get what money I have left for lunch tomorrow.

Not quite the entire system would be my guess because I don't think they are going to replace the ducts......are they?

Everything...... I think.

Sono, do you think maybe they will replace the ductwork in Mark's place because today's ducting is a lot smaller in circumference than those of yesteryear? If not, what other reason would there be to replace the ducting?

Tousi said:
Sona, do you think maybe they will replace the ductwork in Mark's place because today's ducting is a lot smaller in circumference than those of yesteryear? If not, what other reason would there be to replace the ducting?

Either way, I'll post a picture of the new one once it's completed and I have seen it.

I'm surprised. The picture of the furnace looked good but looks isn't everything apparently. Glad it's being replaced. Now they'll have years ahead of them with the new one.

I wonder if they're also charging for removing the old system? These days every time something has to be removed from a house and disposed of seems to increase the cost exponentially.

No, the hVAC company here sells the old used systems to scrappers ( as I tried to get a used blower from the one here to use for ventilation) they wouldnt let me since they get paid by the weight of the scrap metal. So they make money off the old units now instead of paying to dispose of, even appliance deliveries take them free now.

I'm surprised. The picture of the furnace looked good but looks isn't everything apparently. Glad it's being replaced. Now they'll have years ahead of them with the new one.

It had broken down twice in less than 30 days, and they said a replacement is necessary.

Sono, do you think maybe they will replace the ductwork in Mark's place because today's ducting is a lot smaller in circumference than those of yesteryear? If not, what other reason would there be to replace the ducting?

They may have to fabricate a new trunk since new units are smaller today.
the trunk connects the system to the existing ductwork, all ductwork is standard size so they dont need to change it as it is already in place. Here is my system for a 1400sqft house. it is a 3-1/2 ton system
The ac A-coil / intake is on the left side and the heat evaperator is on the right, it is set side by side instead of over/under like the normal furnace (it could be) but easier to change out if needed for repairs or if I convert to gas later ( which I am thinking to do)

Attachments

• hvac.jpg
    hvac.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
They may have to fabricate a new trunk since new units are smaller today.
the trunk connects the system to the existing ductwork, all ductwork is standard size so they dont need to change it as it is already in place. Here is my system for a 1400sqft house. it is a 3-1/2 ton system
The ac A-coil / intake is on the left side and the heat exchanger is on the right, it is set side by side instead of over/under like the normal furnace (it could be) but easier to change out if needed for repairs or if I convert to gas later ( which I am thinking to do)

We have an AC/fan unit outside. Completely different systems. Lemme snap a picture of the unit.

And our furnace IS a gas one.

Think we messed this one up pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_20140129_141805_0.jpg
    IMG_20140129_141805_0.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 19
When I lived in Chicago, that was normal. Snow/rain does not harm it.

Ditto, millions of AC units are like that. Think about it, if rain and snow damaged it you would think that by now companies would learn to cover it up.

Think we messed this one up pretty good.

No that is your central air condensor coil, that is not your furnace for heat, I have the same thing outside, but the heating/cooling units are in the basement, only the condensor coils are outside and that is only for your airconditioning...nothing to do with heat.

I will find something for you to help you before you screw yourself in the future if you have to own something.

Last edited:
ok here you go.... that little thing outside on the left is your picture, the big thing on the right is mine.... this is what a system looks like

Attachments

• hvac_04.jpg
    hvac_04.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 11
Back