Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

or other idea to solve the problem with bad teachers.

I think that school need bring students with no misconduct problem to have interview or meeting with school administers to rate on teachers, if most students say teacher is doing nothing to do their job, such as sit in desk for 6 hours without any lectures so they can alert union to throw bad teachers out of their membership.

I don't know about the rest of the country.....But in Texas teachers in private schools are paid less than those in public schools generally speaking. The teachers that flock to private schools do so more for the surroundings and smaller class sizes.
Same here. Private school teachers get a lot less pay and fewer benefits than public school teachers. Several of the teachers at our Christian school moonlight as adjunct college instructors.

To answer Miss D's question, I know quiet a few people who could make good teachers but decide not to go into the field after working as teacher's aides for a while. They said "Forget it because it is too much work, too much responsibility, and no rewards for little pay." They quit to pursue careers in different fields. A few aids even have Master's degrees and were teachers but they stepped down because they felt that it wasnt worth all that stress. I am now agreeing with them after getting more and more duties piled on in the past 3 years to the point where I cant keep up unless I go in at 7AM and stay until 5PM which I have been doing lately and no raise, no bonus or anything else. I am starting to question myself to why do I even bother?

Dont want teachers to get paid a decent salary, but want to continue to add on all these requirement, increase the workload, and etc, pls do not complain about how bad the American educational system is.

To answer Miss D's question, I know quiet a few people who could make good teachers but decide not to go into the field after working as teacher's aides for a while. They said "Forget it because it is too much work, too much responsibility, and no rewards for little pay." They quit to pursue careers in different fields. A few aids even have Master's degrees and were teachers but they stepped down because they felt that it wasnt worth all that stress. I am now agreeing with them after getting more and more duties piled on in the past 3 years to the point where I cant keep up unless I go in at 7AM and stay until 5PM which I have been doing lately and no raise, no bonus or anything else. I am starting to question myself to why do I even bother?
What kind of extra duties?

Simple, get rid of the unions.....then get rid of the bad teachers. :)

oh, and sometimes bad teachers blame good parents *shrug*

Actually we should STRENGTHEN the unions and give them more media attention.

Some people assume that more pay for all teachers = better quality of teachers = Better education.

Honestly, I don't believe this would happen. There must be some sort of a rewards system in order for this to work.

Man, I am glad I am sticking with home schooling. Our local school district is now broke. They are going to begin to lay off teachers and support staff. the field trip account has been depleted and so, no more field trips for all locations. There are I think 2 school still under construction and no the construction has been halted. Our local private schools have no more room for students and have a waiting list of over 200 students. That's just for my county alone.

I may not have a set school schedule for my kids and they may not "do school" daily, but they do get the required lessons in before the end of June for the cut-off. I may have made bad decisions regarding my children's schooling, but I at least am not blaming anyone else for their failings. Daughter has such learning problems, that 2 have had 3 different school districts tell me that she is unteachable and needs to be institutionalized. Where do they get off. She is happy, she does learn and retains some, she can function daily on her own for the most part. My son, is a different problem and one I need to deal with.

Some people assume that more pay for all teachers = better quality of teachers = Better education.

Honestly, I don't believe this would happen. There must be some sort of a rewards system in order for this to work.

There is a reward system in place -- the system currently rewards those who go into the corporate work and only the most altruistic great candidates and the less competitive go into teaching.

You get what you pay for. A talented person with an undergrad degree can walk out of school and make $80K in the corp. world working 9-5 with lots of potential growth and benefits. That same talented person with an MA or two can look forward to making $30K as a teacher working 7-5 and can expect to move ALL the way up to $52K in 15 years. Which route will the more competive candidate with a couple of student loans on his or her head take if he or she isn't married to someone with a significant income?

Pay teachers like the well-educated talented professionals they have to be to get hired and the field will become very competitive -- only the best teachers will get jobs, only the best teachers will be teaching our kids. Rather than watching the best teachers work at some consulting firm somewhere making money for the best CEOs.

Although yours might be a point, I wasn't thinking about the quality of teachers; I was thinking about their pay.....

There is very ugly alternative: Disband the public school and let local to establish the charter school with voter approved and funded by property tax so they can look to hire good teachers.

I think that mandatory teacher evaluation isn't bad idea so you could pass the law to order union to adopt the monthly teacher evaluation to detect the bad teachers and let union to kick them out of their membership pool. I don't think it would work in state that where heavily union supporters are from, anyway.

At overall, it is not solution at all.

Good luck passing a law ordering the union to do something when the union is when one of the biggest, if the biggest, campaign donor

Actually we should STRENGTHEN the unions and give them more media attention.

:lol: Maybe that would work....people would see just how ridiculous unions are today and run them off.

Nah, anybody that tours an auto manufacturer or union construction site can see how worthless union workers have gotten.

$75/hr to push a button on a robot.... *smh* . Monkeys will do it for a banana and won't call in sick. Bring back the $5,000 cars!

:h5:

Rising tide...

Good luck passing a law ordering the union to do something when the union is when one of the biggest, if the biggest, campaign donor

so is corporations too.

Most corporations donate $$$$$ to Republican Party since most unions donate $$$$$ to Democratic Party.

There is a reward system in place -- the system currently rewards those who go into the corporate work and only the most altruistic great candidates and the less competitive go into teaching.

You get what you pay for. A talented person with an undergrad degree can walk out of school and make $80K in the corp. world working 9-5 with lots of potential growth and benefits. That same talented person with an MA or two can look forward to making $30K as a teacher working 7-5 and can expect to move ALL the way up to $52K in 15 years. Which route will the more competive candidate with a couple of student loans on his or her head take if he or she isn't married to someone with a significant income?

Pay teachers like the well-educated talented professionals they have to be to get hired and the field will become very competitive -- only the best teachers will get jobs, only the best teachers will be teaching our kids. Rather than watching the best teachers work at some consulting firm somewhere making money for the best CEOs.

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. But I would like to add that teaching should require more than just a 4 year degree and a one year credential. It is a very difficult profession--a practice. Just like medicine or law. One never masters the art of teaching; he/she simply practices it and hopes to do a better job than the day before, always making adjustments, retooling the lessons, reassessing the audience. We should not be shoving recently-graduated twenty-some year olds into the ranks. They need more extensive training than what they are getting right now.

We need the brightest of our young minds to become teachers, and we need to create the incentives to attract them to the profession.

so is corporations too.

Most corporations donate $$$$$ to Republican Party since most unions donate $$$$$ to Democratic Party.
Please show us the facts and figures for that statement.

Yep and I guess American kids'education isnt as valued by some people here.

What kind of extra duties?

Since NCLB was passed...more duties were piled on but where is the increase in salaries since becoming so "highly" qualified? Before that, teachers just had certifications but since passing it, we had to take more classes and pass more Praxis tests but once we did all of that, did our salaries increase? No.

Plus mroe and more and more paperwork, more and more demands to teach to test, mroe and more expectations from us to meet all different levels which makes us have to plan 2 or more different lessons plans for each class as opposed to one so that is very very time consuming. More meetings, more workshops during the summer, and just little added duties that keep adding up. When all of that adds up, there arent enough hours during the day to meet all the demands and yet be able to plan quality lessons. It is just like rushing to beat the clock. The creativiness and thoughts to put into making lessons interesting and meaningful becomes harder and harder to do due to the mounting work that has nothing to do with classroom teaching itself.

Yep and I guess American kids'education isnt as valued by some people here.

It is to me.....that's the reason I didn't trust public schools with it! :)

Many of the teachers at my daughter's school taught for free or next to nothing. *shrug* Some teachers might try that at public schools too if they weren't affraid of having their house bombed by unions.... :lol:

Back