Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

No. Allow families to choose which route they want to take.
I think finances are doing that.

That's what we did. We paid our taxes for the public schools, and we worked hard and scrimped for our daughter's education.
Well done. I take nothing but good feelings from this.

I doubt that would be the scenario. Not every family would have to do that.
Correct. The ones that had to would most likely look into public school. After all, what kind of relationship would they have with their kids/spouse when they work 80+ hours a week?

That wasn't my quick reply.
No, but there are plenty of them around here. Most are something like "I work weekends and long hours to get where I am" and "If I can do it, anyone can do it" when not everyone has the ability to accomplish these things. Of course, there are exceptions. Who is to say?

I think finances are doing that.
That and taxes.

Correct. The ones that had to would most likely look into public school. After all, what kind of relationship would they have with their kids/spouse when they work 80+ hours a week?
If they weren't taxed so heavily, maybe that wouldn't be necessary.

That and taxes.

If they weren't taxed so heavily, maybe that wouldn't be necessary.
We don't agree. The people making $10 per hour are not paying a huge amount of taxes. I agree that a lot of tax dollars are spent poorly. However, when the roads fall apart and the police are understaffed, what should we do? Is this why the Conservatives tend to be more in favor of gun ownership, so they can police themselves? Is that what we should do, save tax dollars so we can use them to have front end alignments every year?

We don't agree. The people making $10 per hour are not paying a huge amount of taxes. I agree that a lot of tax dollars are spent poorly. However, when the roads fall apart and the police are understaffed, what should we do? Is this why the Conservatives tend to be more in favor of gun ownership, so they can police themselves? Is that what we should do, save tax dollars so we can use them to have front end alignments every year?
In our state, the gas tax pays for the roads, and local taxes pay for the police.

Even when the police departments are adequately staffed, one cannot depend on them for 24/7 full protection.

Many private schools offer needs-based scholarships. Our church's school provides scholarships for those families who need them.

In our state, the gas tax pays for the roads, and local taxes pay for the police.

Even when the police departments are adequately staffed, one cannot depend on them for 24/7 full protection.

Many private schools offer needs-based scholarships. Our church's school provides scholarships for those families who need them.

Then why are the roads all crap? Just curious.

I think I will bow out of this discussion now. It certainly was not the intended result for the thread. It went from a light-hearted joke thing to politics.

Yeah..don't forget that portion of lottery will go to education.

Yeah..don't forget that portion of lottery will go to education.
In South Carolina, it hasn't been spent the way people expected.

South Carolina Education Lottery - Education Wins

Most voters expected the lottery money to be spent on the elementary grades in order to improve the state's education level from the bottom up. Instead, most of the money went to supplement college education. There was a lot of statewide whining about that.

(I voted against the lottery, so don't look at me. ;) )

In South Carolina, it hasn't been spent the way people expected.

South Carolina Education Lottery - Education Wins

Most voters expected the lottery money to be spent on the elementary grades in order to improve the state's education level from the bottom up. Instead, most of the money went to supplement college education. There was a lot of statewide whining about that.

(I voted against the lottery, so don't look at me. ;) )
Good chance that some of those college students are buying the lotto tickets. Would you call that a "win-win" situation? :P

I think the lottery in Minnesota was to aid with the environment, in areas such as parks and trails. MN Lottery - Trust Fund It also goes to pay for programs related to public education, health and human services, and public safety, among others.

So what do we do? Do we close public schools and make all schools private? Is this another "woe is me, my taxes are paying for crap to let others have a free ride" kind of thing? Not everyone can afford to bypass the public school system. Should those parents work 2-3 jobs to provide this educational option? If all these people making $10 per hour worked 2-3 jobs, how high does unemployment go; 30-50%? Everyone seems to have a quick reply; "Get off your fat butts and work for it" but not all the results of that are considered. Some people are having a difficult time finding one job.

If we went fully private there could still be school taxes. But that money could be used for a financial aid program so that the poor and lower middle class could attend privates as well.

Back