Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

My mother is a teacher. All her friends are teachers. I grew up around teachers and have talked to them about the profession of teaching many times. I know for a fact that private schools do not need to require their teachers to be certified, and most don't. As inadequate as I feel teacher certification is, it is much better than none at all. Teacher training is vital. Also, public schools require their teachers to stay on top of certifications and attend yearly workshops and trainings (often unpaid). Just because you know your subject well, doesn't mean you will teach well. Training is vital.
Our Christian school requires its teachers be certified, and to stay on top of certifications and attend yearly workshops and trainings also, so what's the difference?

As someone who is in a graduate program right now, I pretty much discount any graduate degree when it comes to preparing one to teach, unless the degree is in education itself, or if the degree included a REAL teaching component, not TAship (the vast majority don't). Graduate degrees tend to be very specialized, and only cover a few topics within a given discipline. That's the point of them. You are supposed to write a thesis or dissertation on a topic that has not been covered before. That's okay though, because that's the point of a graduate degree. But unless you plan to teach at the university level, a graduate degree does not do much to prepare you as an elementary or secondary teacher.
I'm not sure about all of them but I believe some of those with masters degrees are in the secondary school, and they relate to their specialty fields such as math, music, English, biology, etc.

Also, there are plenty of public school teachers with graduate degrees. My mother has advanced degrees, and so does my brother's girlfriend, who is also a HS teacher. Many high level administrators in the public school systems have PhD and MAs as well.
I didn't say anything about the public school teachers. I simply explained about the private school teachers.

You also seem to forget something: private schools are not required to provide free special education services for disabled (physical or LD) students. This is often a hefty part of a public school system's budget. In fact, many students with disabilities who attend private schools have their education paid for, either fully or in part, by the public school system.
I didn't forget anything. I know of students with disabilities who have attended our school and other Christian schools, and the schools did not receive any government money whatsoever.

It's true that Christian schools don't have the same broad scale of student base that public schools do because of the sheer numbers involved. It's also true that Christian schools don't get any help from government grants or reimbursements.

One example: When our school needed to install an elevator for one student, the parents' group held fund raisers to pay for it. The child got the access without using tax dollars.

The minimum wage is $10.25 here and I don't think people could live on it unless they live at home with their parents.

I should add that using your own school as an example is a fallacy in this case. There is much variance among private schools, district to district, county to county, state to state. Public schools, on the other hand, have a much more uniform code for qualifications, which can be used as a basis for comparison.

If you find me the same exact data for a large sample of private schools, than I may revise my opinion, until then, you've got to provide more than just one example.
You made a blanket statement about the socio-economic status of private schools. I merely refuted that by one example which proves that not ALL private schools benefit from socio-economic status. If you can make broad undocumented statements, I can refute them with my examples.

Like you said in this post, there is much variance. So your sweeping statement about socio-economic status can't cover them all.

In the example I gave, our teachers take the same state PRAXIS and certifications that the public school teachers do. If those are inadequate measures of qualification for teachers, well, that's another argument.

This question might be off the point a bit but I'm curious about how much a teacher can earn in one day if they do substitute teaching?

I hope US will recover from this and change their priorities because from what I have read is that oil subsidies and defence spending is the federal govt's main priorities. Maybe I'm wrong but still, it's apparent that education is not a top priority.

Teachers should be paid in accordance to what is expected of them.

There's a difference between having high expectations and unrealistic expectations. What the federal government, state government, school administrators, parents, and the community are all expecting out of me are mostly unrealistic and unfair.

I'm a teacher, not a magician.

I personally am opposed to unions. Sometimes I see high paying as justificable that is IF a worker holds valuable assets that pays dividend in long term. I am oppose over pay those worker who is lazy scumbag and isn't of any valuable. Why I opposed to unions? Simple put, if unionized worker didn't do their job as expected then it will take forever for employer to terminate that inefficient workers. This is just wasting of money, and I do not see point of unions. Of course, Unions were valuable back then when there is no safety, no OSHA, no nothing. Unions were there for safety, but now government already took over the safety known as OSHA so, whats point of unions? It is all about M O N E Y.

This question might be off the point a bit but I'm curious about how much a teacher can earn in one day if they do substitute teaching?
I don't know about substitute teachers but public schools in my area were paying substitute interpreters $50 per day.

I don't know about substitute teachers but public schools in my area were paying substitute interpreters $50 per day.

Substitute teachers at my husband's public HS make $50/day. You can make $65/day with full certification, including a masters in the subject area being taught.

I guess my view is that if a teaching job requires advanced degrees then why doesnt it pay like it?

Back