Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

It is to me.....that's the reason I didn't trust public schools with it! :)

Many of the teachers at my daughter's school taught for free or next to nothing. *shrug* Some teachers might try that at public schools too if they weren't affraid of having their house bombed by unions.... :lol:

I am glad that you find this whole thing amusing.

Nothing amusing about unions and how they are screwing our children actually.

Did the unions pass NCLB?

However, if you didnt find it amusing, then it sure didnt seem like it.

Since NCLB was passed...more duties were piled on but where is the increase in salaries since becoming so "highly" qualified? Before that, teachers just had certifications but since passing it, we had to take more classes and pass more Praxis tests but once we did all of that, did our salaries increase? No.
:ty:

Do you know why they added the requirements for certifications and testing?

Plus mroe and more and more paperwork...
What kind of paperwork? Who mandates it? Local school or state/federal programs?

more and more demands to teach to test...
Yes, that's terrible. I noticed that in the classrooms where I've interpreted.

mroe and more expectations from us to meet all different levels which makes us have to plan 2 or more different lessons plans for each class as opposed to one so that is very very time consuming.
Does that mean that the objectives are different for each plan, or does it mean that different methods are used for the same objectives?

More meetings, more workshops during the summer, and just little added duties that keep adding up.
Do the workshops enhance your teaching skills or maintain your credentials? I know that educational interpreters are required to maintain a certain number of CEU's every year. Some of the terps are reimbursed for their workshops but some pay out of pocket. If you have expenses, can you claim them on your income tax?

What kind of added duties? I know some school terps are required to drive school buses as an extra duty. Is it like that?

When all of that adds up, there arent enough hours during the day to meet all the demands and yet be able to plan quality lessons. It is just like rushing to beat the clock. The creativiness and thoughts to put into making lessons interesting and meaningful becomes harder and harder to do due to the mounting work that has nothing to do with classroom teaching itself.
So they've added a lot of administrative type stuff for you to do? What do you think is the reason behind that?

Solution is simple.....end public schools and school taxes. Make all schools private and let the market determine the value of teachers. Give tuition vouchers to poor children and require all schools to accept a minimum number of poor students.

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. But I would like to add that teaching should require more than just a 4 year degree and a one year credential. It is a very difficult profession--a practice. Just like medicine or law. One never masters the art of teaching; he/she simply practices it and hopes to do a better job than the day before, always making adjustments, retooling the lessons, reassessing the audience. We should not be shoving recently-graduated twenty-some year olds into the ranks. They need more extensive training than what they are getting right now.

We need the brightest of our young minds to become teachers, and we need to create the incentives to attract them to the profession.

Many of the brightest young minds are becoming teachers....at private schools.....for less pay....and less benefits.

It speaks volumes that teachers in private schools are not in an uproar over pay. Very likely that one reason a private education is so much better than a public education is that the teachers are there for the students.....not for the money.

Do you know why they added the requirements for certifications and testing?

What kind of paperwork? Who mandates it? Local school or state/federal programs?

Yes, that's terrible. I noticed that in the classrooms where I've interpreted.

Does that mean that the objectives are different for each plan, or does it mean that different methods are used for the same objectives?

Do the workshops enhance your teaching skills or maintain your credentials? I know that educational interpreters are required to maintain a certain number of CEU's every year. Some of the terps are reimbursed for their workshops but some pay out of pocket. If you have expenses, can you claim them on your income tax?

What kind of added duties? I know some school terps are required to drive school buses as an extra duty. Is it like that?

So they've added a lot of administrative type stuff for you to do? What do you think is the reason behind that?

Duties, like lunch duty, keeping track of meals, keeping track of how much tissue the students use in our classrooms and little things like that. It all uses up precious minutues during the workday when we could be focusing on making our lessons more meaningful for our students.

The federal is requring paperwork and data on every little thing when before it wasnt required. So the people up in the administration level are overwhelmed with more and more paperwork related to the politicial aspects of education leaving them no time to do the other stuff which is being handed down to us, teachers.

Planning different lessons with different objectives. I am teaching coin concepts to one group and division to another group for math, for one example.

My aunts are public school teachers and they say the same things are happening to them as well.

This is one viewpoint of NCLB:

5 Myths About No Child Left Behind
Myths About the Education Law Everyone Loves to Hate

By Chester E. Finn Jr.
Sunday, March 30, 2008

It's the 800-pound gorilla of U.S. education. The No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), the sweeping legislation enacted six years ago to improve public schools, seems to make a lot of people unhappy. But President Bush, undaunted by the barrage of criticism aimed at this beleaguered measure by states, teachers' unions and politicians on both sides of the aisle, is pushing Congress to reauthorize it this year . Many Capitol Hill observers believe that it won't survive without the political clout a new president and Congress would bring -- but after a starring role in five straight presidential elections, education is a bit player at best in the 2008 race. Could these widespread myths about No Child Left Behind have poisoned the well?

1. No Child Left Behind is an unprecedented extension of federal control over schools.

This allegation comes most often from Republicans who, claiming that they voted for the legislation only out of courtesy toward President Bush, have forgotten the bipartisan consensus that helped enact it. It's also a common complaint from state officials, who want fewer strings on their federal dollars.

But NCLB isn't compulsory. States that don't want to jump through its hoops are free to forgo their federal dollars. (Several, such as Utah, Nebraska and Virginia, came close to doing just that, but the lure of those funds helped them overcome their reservations.) The legislation isn't unprecedented, either -- it's just another incarnation of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, one of President Lyndon B. Johnson's Great Society monuments. That law's centerpiece program, known as Title I, has pumped billions of federal dollars into education for poor children over the past 43 years. And the Improving America's Schools Act, signed by President Bill Clinton in 1994, was No Child Left Behind-lite, with similar expectations for states and districts but fewer rules and timelines.

2. No Child Left Behind is egregiously underfunded.

This charge comes mainly from Democrats, including liberal lions such as Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy and California Rep. George Miller, who helped shape the law. It arises from the fact that NCLB, like almost every social program, was authorized at higher funding levels than have ever been -- or are likely to be -- appropriated. Viewed that way, nearly everything born in Washington is "underfunded."

The costs of complying with No Child Left Behind -- setting standards, testing children, publishing the results and intervening in low-performing schools -- are actually relatively modest. Instead of demanding more money for No Child Left Behind, critics should ask why states and local communities get such dismal returns on the half-trillion dollars, or nearly $10,000 per student, that they already spend on primary and secondary education every year.

3. Setting academic standards will fix U.S. schools.

No Child Left Behind asks state governments to set standards in reading, math and science -- to identify basic skills that students should have mastered by a given grade level -- and to test them accordingly. This follows an educational theory called standards-based instruction that says: State what children should know; measure their progress; and use rewards and punishments to help them succeed.

For this to work, of course, good standards have to be in place, and NCLB doesn't address the problem of mediocre or even downright silly standards. Compromises needed to pass NCLB left the law laid-back about standards yet fussy about what states and districts should do when those standards aren't met. The upshot: low expectations on one hand and too much micromanagement on the other. A few states, such as Massachusetts, California and South Carolina, have taken their job seriously. But the majority either expect woefully little of their students and schools or have developed such nebulous standards that nobody -- not parents, not teachers, not test makers -- can make out what students are supposed to be learning.

4. The standardized testing required by No Child Left Behind gets in the way of real learning.

Teachers' animus toward standardized testing has many roots, chief among them the grueling weeks of preparation and exams that they and their students endure every year. But the accountability made possible by standardized testing isn't all bad. If the test is an honest measure of a solid curriculum, then teaching kids the skills and knowledge they need to pass it is honorable work. Just ask any Advanced Placement teacher.

5. Certified teachers are better than non-certified teachers.

Lawmakers blundered when they confused "qualified" with "certified" teachers. There's no solid evidence that state certification ensures classroom effectiveness -- and the booming success of programs such as Teach for America, which sends recent college graduates into troubled schools, suggests that certification may be wholly unnecessary. By requiring certified teachers in every classroom, No Child Left Behind makes it harder for district and charter schools to attract energetic and capable people who want to teach but take a less traditional route to the classroom.

5 Myths About No Child Left Behind - washingtonpost.com

Opinions?

Please show us the facts and figures for that statement.

There is no proper source that I could find in last midterm election, except for Fox News donated $1 millions to Republican Party in last midterm election, also is Koch Brothers too and Republican Party is traditional pro-business that have a lot of benefits for corporation.
News Corp. gave $1 million to pro-GOP group - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/us/politics/20koch.html

For unions contribution, of course, most of them goes to Democratic Party.
Union Donations Democrats | Wisconsin Protests | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

For 2008 presidential election, I'm surprised about unions are not listed under contribution, just mostly corporations and universities for Obama. *GOSH*

Obama
Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

McCain
Top Contributors to John McCain | OpenSecrets

Anything could change in 2012, even more corporations may strong favor to Republican Party.

Many of the brightest young minds are becoming teachers....at private schools.....for less pay....and less benefits.

It speaks volumes that teachers in private schools are not in an uproar over pay. Very likely that one reason a private education is so much better than a public education is that the teachers are there for the students.....not for the money.

If they are doing it for free, how are they supporting themselves? Especially with gas prices going up? They got money growing on trees in their backyards?

Duties, like lunch duty, keeping track of meals, keeping track of how much tissue the students use in our classrooms and little things like that. It all uses up precious minutues during the workday when we could be focusing on making our lessons more meaningful for our students.
OIC. I get the lunch related duties (although they should be handled by people other than the teachers) but I'm flummoxed about the tissues. That's a new one to me.

The federal is requring paperwork and data on every little thing when before it wasnt required. So the people up in the administration level are overwhelmed with more and more paperwork related to the politicial aspects of education leaving them no time to do the other stuff which is being handed down to us, teachers.
I suspect federal dollars are attached to those requirements.

Planning different lessons with different objectives. I am teaching coin concepts to one group and division to another group for math, for one example.
Do you mean different groups within one class? Do you teach different grade levels?

I am glad that you find this whole thing amusing.

There are good and bad public schools in anywhere, depends on where are you from.

Public school is necessary for all students to enter since private school only accept some of students that they select to enroll.

I don't believe in government control over private school, only public school is fine to control. I believe that private school need be on their own.

OIC. I get the lunch related duties (although they should be handled by people other than the teachers) but I'm flummoxed about the tissues. That's a new one to me.

I suspect federal dollars are attached to those requirements.

Do you mean different groups within one class? Do you teach different grade levels?

Yes...and I wont go into how the public schools failed many deaf children hence all the different grade levels. It is nuts.

Since NCLB was passed...more duties were piled on but where is the increase in salaries since becoming so "highly" qualified? Before that, teachers just had certifications but since passing it, we had to take more classes and pass more Praxis tests but once we did all of that, did our salaries increase? No.

Plus mroe and more and more paperwork, more and more demands to teach to test, mroe and more expectations from us to meet all different levels which makes us have to plan 2 or more different lessons plans for each class as opposed to one so that is very very time consuming. More meetings, more workshops during the summer, and just little added duties that keep adding up. When all of that adds up, there arent enough hours during the day to meet all the demands and yet be able to plan quality lessons. It is just like rushing to beat the clock. The creativiness and thoughts to put into making lessons interesting and meaningful becomes harder and harder to do due to the mounting work that has nothing to do with classroom teaching itself.

I've heard rumblings, too, about NCLB and how bad/ineffective/whatever it is, it sounds like a good thing it is going to get thrown out. Right?

If they are doing it for free, how are they supporting themselves? Especially with gas prices going up? They got money growing on trees in their backyards?

Teach 3 or 4 classes a week and work in their actual profession full time.

There is no proper source that I could find in last midterm election, except for Fox News donated $1 millions to Republican Party in last midterm election, also is Koch Brothers too and Republican Party is traditional pro-business that have a lot of benefits for corporation.
News Corp. gave $1 million to pro-GOP group - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/us/politics/20koch.html

For unions contribution, of course, most of them goes to Democratic Party.
Union Donations Democrats | Wisconsin Protests | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

For 2008 presidential election, I'm surprised about unions are not listed under contribution, just mostly corporations and universities for Obama. *GOSH*

Obama
Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

McCain
Top Contributors to John McCain | OpenSecrets

Anything could change in 2012, even more corporations may strong favor to Republican Party.

As you see, big businesses contribute to Democrat candidates also.

If teacher pay is same as minimum wage or slightly better than minimum wage so many college students wouldn't interest to become teacher because they need have sufficient funds to have comfortable life in America, also able to repay the college loans after graduation. Right now, we have teacher shortage problem but they don't need anymore due to budget cut.

We are live in expensive society and you need have a lot of money to maintain the comfortable life.

I've heard rumblings, too, about NCLB and how bad/ineffective/whatever it is, it sounds like a good thing it is going to get thrown out. Right?
Is it going to be thrown out soon? If so, that would resolve a lot of these problems, I would think.

As you see, big businesses contribute to Democrat candidates also.

Yup, I'm surprised because I thought it was little but big contribution from unions at first place but it is not true.

One of my concern is, if we are weaken the unions by pass the right to work law and employees aren't required to join union or pay their dues so unions will be weaken as they may no longer contribution to Democratic Party so could make Democratic Party so weaker as Republican Party strengthen up.

Back