Are you afraid to fly?

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
I am! Theres a lot of reasons i wont fly.10 years ago i flew for the first time. My hearing clooged bad and i got sick threw up on the plane i was terrified. Another reason is fear of arabs and 9-11.Another one is harrasing airport security. Youll feel like a criminal now when you go though them gates. Amtrak doesnt treat me like that. Amtrak treats me like a satisfied customer. No delays and no baggage lost. But only if amtrak build new hi speed trains it would be worth wild to travel again. Current trains can run up to 100MPH. We need a tran goes 150-200MPH to cut time travel in half right now from orlando to baltimore takes 17-20 hours I like to arrive in baltimore just under 12 hours. get on 9AM arrive at 9PM Auto train takes 16 hours to get there i like auto train take under 8 hours. Greyhound Bus takes 22 hours to get to baltimore.So how would you like to travel?

I usually travel by car, but if I'm in a hurry to get in long distance fast, I would fly in the airplane. I am afraid of height and it's hard on me when flying in plane...but that had'nt stopped me from flying. Once I'm on the horizon high in the air and the plane isn't bouncing in the air, I'm fine...but by the time it's time to land, my panic comes back some and I just take a deep breath and say a prayer....smile

i dont scare of fly but worried abt wreck airplane thats all.. i am think postive.. ;)

I love flying. I've been flying for a number years and enjoy it every time. I do know what you mean about terrorists and 9/11 and security being a pain in the ass. Since then, I don't enjoy flying commercially as much as I used to. Small private planes are a lot more fun (although very cramped). One of the benefits I have still being involved in radio is flying around DC as a traffic reporter. Here are some pictures that I've taken although I have boxes and boxes of photos that I've never posted onto the web.

http://www.thmedia.net/shadow/

Taylor can you try to fly over Baltimore`s camden yards twin stadium conplex? take photos of them? Or even to FED EX field? FED EX field is the bigest stadium i have ever been to!

We can't fly over Fed Ex now while there is an event going on (pre 9/11 we could). I have some pictures in one of those boxes. Now all I can get is an empty stadium, although its still neat to look at. I do miss the 'old days' when we could fly around during a game and there were fireworks...it was very, very cool. I don't know what the restrictions are in Baltimore regarding the stadiums. I'll talk to one of the guys that flys in the Baltimore market and see if he either has any photos or can get some.

Taylor, Thanks for sharing these Cool pictures ...

Flying on a private or corporate plane are
much better than commerical planes...
i recalled a business friend invited me
to fly his plane circling over Alcatrez prison
in SF bay area ... Awesome ! That was
before 9/11. Unfortunately I have the
fear of flying more than before...

As my instructor said that to me once... 'if you want to get rid of your fears... get a parachute and fly with me'. So I did... clients, instructor and I got on airplane and climbed up to 20,000 feet and jumped off with parachute. Ever since that day, I no longer able to feel any fear when I ride in any form of motor-vehicles like airplanes or speedboats.

"Nothing to Fear but Fear Itself".

Edit: Oh yeah, I went parachuting two times in my lifetime.. and will do that some more in the future. I loved it.

I don't mind flying but it is too expensive, so usually we drive places.

I don't mind flying at all as long I keep myself busy reading the newspapers.

I do keep my eyes open and get prepared to get out safely if anything should happen to the plane I'm riding in.

I don't really enjoy flying, it's too cramped and after seeing some movies where the plane crashes, I get a bit nervous. But I've been flying for years, and I'm more relaxed when flying, although it'll be my last option.

Fears

WHEN ME AND MY BROTHER HIS WIFE NOW HIS EX, SHE WAS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT FOR AA AIRLINES, SHYT I WA SCARED I FOUND WAYS TO OVER COME THAT I STARTED TO TALK TO THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT THEY ARE SEXY SOME OF THEM, BUT ANYWAY THEY FIX MY FEAR OF FLYING BY FLIRTING WITH THEM AND ORDER SOME MIXED DRINK FROM THEM BUT MAN THEY WERE MARRIED SHOOT ! BUT ANYWAY THERE ARE SOME WOMEN ON THE FLIGHT YOU CAN TALK WHATEVER YOU FEEL BUT MAN AS SOON AS WE LAND IN CALIFORNIA I WAS LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW AS THE PLANE WAS SLOWING DOWN AS I LOOK OUT THE WINDOW MY WING SIDE WAS HANGING OVER THE OCEAN WHEN THE PLANE WAS TURNING AROUND AFTER IT CAME TO COPLETE STOP, SO I SAID SHYT TO MYSELF I TOLD THE ATTENDANT WHIC IS A FEIND OF MY BROTHER EX TO ORDER ME ANOTHER DRINK I WAS LIKE WHEW. :naughty:

Taylor said:
I love flying. I've been flying for a number years and enjoy it every time. I do know what you mean about terrorists and 9/11 and security being a pain in the ass. Since then, I don't enjoy flying commercially as much as I used to. Small private planes are a lot more fun (although very cramped). One of the benefits I have still being involved in radio is flying around DC as a traffic reporter. Here are some pictures that I've taken although I have boxes and boxes of photos that I've never posted onto the web.

http://www.thmedia.net/shadow/

Is the freeway airport code W00? I've been thinking about landing there when I get my pilot's license. I'm currently logging 18 out of 40 hours necessary to acquire a license after FAA exam.

I'm planning to set up http://www.deafaviator.com -- it might be a good way for you to share your photos? I'm currently learning PhpNuke and will be a while before it is fully up and running.

I LOVE FLYING!!! :)

I used to fly and it is more money to fly so I guess I would take a drive on the road. If It is emergency then take airplane....

LinuxGold said:
Is the freeway airport code W00? I've been thinking about landing there when I get my pilot's license. I'm currently logging 18 out of 40 hours necessary to acquire a license after FAA exam.

I'm planning to set up http://www.deafaviator.com -- it might be a good way for you to share your photos? I'm currently learning PhpNuke and will be a while before it is fully up and running.

I LOVE FLYING!!! :)

Yup....thats the airport W00. I've only flown in and out of it a couple of times...that was usually because we were flying traffic and got caught in bad weather. If your from this region, you know it can be a terrible thunderstorm on one side of DC and sunny on the other side and the thunderstorms don't last that long. Usually we can dodge the storms, but occasionally we have to sit them out somewhere. Freeway was always convenient for that. (On a safety note, we won't fly if they are calling for bad weather...I'm referring to the small cells that pop up briefly in the summertime).

I always get a bad feeling when I'm around that airport because that is the airport where our company has had its only Fatal Accident
That was a long time ago but I guess I'm just a little superstitious at times. I also get nervous around those powerlines that run next to the runway.
At our home airport, we also have powerlines closeby that we come in close to when we are on final....(I'll never understand why they like to put powerlines next to airports ;) )

As for your site, I've seen you mention it before and wanted to drop you an e-mail about it. I am also working on a related site but it has more to do with accidents and safety. If you need a hand putting your site together, don't hesitate to let me know. I'll also be more than happy to share any pictures. Most are boring to the average person, but I do have some good ones. If you remember the bad tornado that hit La Plata awhile back, I took some pictures the following day. There is a lot of damage visible and you can follow the path of the tornado...when It wasn't hitting houses, it was cutting a valley through the woods and the trees are all laying in a spiral.

Last edited:
I love flying, and wouldn't hesistate to fly around whenever I needed to.

Raven, there are already trains in Europe that normally cruise at 125 mph, and they are not high speed trains. The high speed trains go a lot faster. I think the world record was 500 kph or so. I took the Eurostar from Brussels to London, and it went 300 kph. It was cool. In the Northeast, there is the Acela train with Amtrak which is supposedly to be high speed train, leaving Boston and arriving in Washington DC 3 hrs later. I dont know what its status is now, as it kept being postponed and all with the constructions.

Flying....it's allright. I flew twice but I don't like to fly in the air during the storm....AHH! it scared me.

i love flying its just wonderful expierence for me because u feel free :D

i have no fear of flying.. but i have impatient with those security problems and check-ups.. its the worse annoying i had after the 9/11

i love to fly... when sept 11 happened... its not stop me from flying.. because airport security is so tight after tht happ.. i been flying number of years. i always enjoy see ground tht look so tiny and look like it is toys tht we can play with it.. i tends fly plane abt 4 time a year..

I love the feeling once the airplane goes off the ground and going up very fast, very unusual feeling but hate the feeling of landing make me think of one of the landing wheels doesn't work... ahhhh

Back