Are you afraid to fly?

Malfoyish said:
I'm not afraid of flying. I'm afraid of NOT flying. :)

ah, that's a good posting/quotation ! :)

I'm not afraid to fly. I've never had problems on the plane. I can actually sleep during take-off and landing! ;)

I prefer to fly with Aeroplane (airplane) and helicopter, than drive a car for hours and hours on a long distance, no thanks! I've been flying for a number years!
Its one of my dreams to fly in a Hot Air Balloon one day. :cool:

My wife bought me a new Flight Simulator Professional Edition 2002 for my early Christmas. :) Can't wait to "virtually" fly, to re-learn what I've learned when I soloed on an actual airplane. :)

Can't wait to renew my student pilot certificate (3rd class medical) to return back to flight training (in the air!)

Piper Cherokee, Piper Cherokee, take me into air, high and far away!

Linux Gold...good luck with that. Its a lot of fun. For a time, I had considered getting my license (and may still do so). All of our traffic plane pilots are instructors on the side so I could get my flight time while flying for traffic without forking over a lot of cash. As you know, flying is pretty expensive so its a good offer that I might take them up on.

Taylor said:
Linux Gold...good luck with that. Its a lot of fun. For a time, I had considered getting my license (and may still do so). All of our traffic plane pilots are instructors on the side so I could get my flight time while flying for traffic without forking over a lot of cash. As you know, flying is pretty expensive so its a good offer that I might take them up on.
You should try to go for SLA, Sport Light Aircraft, License which went into effect this year. It requires less hours than private pilot, but with limitations to privileges. It only requires 20 hours of flight training compared to 40 hours for private pilot. The only downfall about SLA license is that you only can fly 2 seater airplanes and only can fly during the daylight. I'm thinking about taking SLA license then go for private pilot because I already logged 18 hours on my flight log. BTW, flight instructor on the side is called "Dual" i.e. dual cross country, etc...

No i am not afraid of Flying and would like to go on Flying again in one day
Mommyof3

Taylor,

Those pix are great!

Now, how about some pix from this flight:

MIG- 25PU Foxbat Flight Experience Gift
Fly off this earth to the edge of space!!

Very few people have seen the Earth from a breathtaking vista of 82,000ft (25 kms)! From the cockpit of a MiG-25, your view directly overhead fades into the darkness of space - you are literally on the edge of space. Below you, the curvature of the Earth is awesomely apparent, and the horizon is 715 miles that's nearly 1100km across. Flying at Mach 2.5, or one mile every two seconds, a trip in the MiG-25 "Foxbat" is a unique flight mission that is the closest most people get being an astronaut...
This is for real: http://www.uniqueideas4gifts.co.uk/mig-fighter-flight.html

Reba,
That would be very, very cool although I don't know how much confidence I would have in a plane left over from the old communist period of russia. There is a radio station in DC that interviewed a woman who was about to fly on that trip. She had won the trip in some sort of contest. I never did get to hear the follow-up interview after her trip (hope she made it ;) )

Taylor said:
...I don't know how much confidence I would have in a plane left over from the old communist period of russia.
I don't know either. It was a MIG Foxbat that crashed at the Paris Airshow when the pilot was showing off.

My hubby has flown as a passenger in an Air Ukraine plane, which was a former Soviet Aeroflot plane. It was pretty bad. It had to be jump started by hooking its battery to the battery of an airport pickup truck. Also, each time they landed, they turned off the heater during layovers (winter time), to save fuel. Brrrr! His luggage arrived a day late, and it was totally wrapped in duct tape, like a mummy.

Russian aircraft, military and civilian, do not have good maintenance records.

LOL...That must have been an exciting trip for him. Makes you realize just how good Southwest and the domestic airlines are. I've heard some bad things about all of the old aircraft from the Soviet Union. They will fly it if they think it even has a chance of getting off of the ground. Its the staying up part that frightens me. At least in that MIG, if something went wrong, it would probably be over pretty quick :(

Taylor, Cool photos ! I'm not too far from ya...
A friend of mine is very blessed cuz
he and his family own a boat dock
near Pentagon area; it was
one of the best places to sit and relax on his boat
while watching these planes and fireworks...
it's a real quiet place right
in the middle heart of D.C.

Taylor, Cool photos ! I'm not too far from ya...
A friend of mine is very blessed cuz
he and his family own a boat dock
near Pentagon area; it was
one of the best places to sit and relax on his boat
while watching these planes and fireworks...
it's a real quiet place right
in the middle heart of D.C.

Yes, the potomac is a nice, scenic river. I enjoy going to Old Town Alexandria on occasion. There is also a park (the name escapes me right now) that is right next to the airport and you can sit under the planes as they are landing and taking off...reminds me of that one scene in Waynes World where they are on the hood of the car looking up when the planes are coming over. Its a nice place to enjoy an afternoon in the summer and provides for some great photo ops. The only thing I don't like about the potomac is the wonderful odor that emits from it ;)

Taylor,

Can you do me a small favor? Take a picture of airplane taking off runaway, preferably including runaway itself with airplane on the end? I'm trying to create a banner for DeafAviator, and so far I am unable to find the best picture of an airplane taking off. Can you do that for me?

Thanks,

I will see what I can find. I feel your pain though as I'm trying to come up with a logo for the site I was telling you about previously. Let me see what I can find. Most of my pictures are from inside the plane looking out. Somewhere I have a great picture of a large jet landing at National that was taken from that park I was just referring to. Its a view from rear and you can see the gears and flaps down with exaust trails....Let me see if I can dig that up in one of these piles..LOL

Taylor heres a challenge!! Fly and take pictures of camp david.

Actually, it is restricted. I've flown near there in the proper airspace. I probably could have seen it if I knew what I was looking for. When the President is there, the restrictions are increased and we really can't fly any further north than Frederick, MD

I'm not afraid of the height.

Just a second thought, as long as I use the fasten belt in the transportation: an airplane, a car, a train, etc. :)

Taylor...who do you do traffic reports for? I live in Northern VA area, I work at Navy Annex (part of Pentagon) by Pentagon. I know that area is restricted for your flight area... am I right??

I see constantly of helicopters with president logos emebled on them, army helicopters. you name it....I don't think I have seen small plane like yours...just assuming air space is probably restricted?

We get occasional fighter planes flying over our building to honor the people who are being buried in Arlington Cemetery. Almost everyday...Yes Folks, I was there when 9/11 attacked the Pentagon.

Off point, know anyone is interested about adopting my cat? Cheers. :)

Back