Anyone who involved or saw..

There are many places for domestic violence where they do provide a counselor for you girls.

Matt.. u dont know. It might not what happen. She might DID fell down. U didnt see what happen. All u saw her flying down to the ground. How can u be so sure? Just a thought.

My wife is beating me up with a baseball bat! Help!

j/k..

I've never actually witnessed a domestic abuse unless you call it mental abusing.

Originally posted by Sabrina

would you trust with Deaf people if you share your personal problem with them? Will they seal their ten fingers to respect your confidenality ?

Sabrina

Sabrina -- u DO have a valid point abt confidentality being broken constantly -- if i needed to get a DV support system i would go to 1 that caters to Deaf victims (so there would be no need for having terps and others into my case when its really unnecessary and there are cases where terps are known to blabbie too) -- uhmm of TRUSTING them -- thatll be quite hard i know Sabrina -- i would prolly just go by the persons' reputation and know if others have gone to whoever the counselor is and that counselor has a VERY good reputation for keeping confidentality and other information private i would go to that counselor not others -- just a matter of doing a lil "homework" first i imagine before choosing a counselor that would best fit ur needs

Originally posted by eternity
There are many places for domestic violence where they do provide a counselor for you girls.

There are not that many DV agencies (hearing ones) provide interpreters for Deaf DV survivors. They tend to get isolated in the shelters, services, etc cuz of communication barriers. They prefer to go to DEAF DV agencies, which I posted earlier. Eventually, more Deaf DV agencies will establish in other states where Deaf people live in dense population.

Originally posted by Fly Free
Sabrina -- u DO have a valid point abt confidentality being broken constantly -- if i needed to get a DV support system i would go to 1 that caters to Deaf victims (so there would be no need for having terps and others into my case when its really unnecessary and there are cases where terps are known to blabbie too) -- uhmm of TRUSTING them -- thatll be quite hard i know Sabrina -- i would prolly just go by the persons' reputation and know if others have gone to whoever the counselor is and that counselor has a VERY good reputation for keeping confidentality and other information private i would go to that counselor not others -- just a matter of doing a lil "homework" first i imagine before choosing a counselor that would best fit ur needs

I agree with you. Sadly, some terps can breach confidentiality. It is hard to protect Deaf survivors from other Deaf gossipers. For example, one Deaf DV survivor does not want student to see her during her session at the agency, so co worker told the student to stay there while the DV survivor has to leave out of the place. It is very hard to keep in control in the agency where other Deaf DV survivors do not see each other in the same place (few of them did see each other on occassions).

Originally posted by Oddball
There are not that many DV agencies (hearing ones) provide interpreters for Deaf DV survivors. They tend to get isolated in the shelters, services, etc cuz of communication barriers. They prefer to go to DEAF DV agencies, which I posted earlier. Eventually, more Deaf DV agencies will establish in other states where Deaf people live in dense population.

Oddball's right there isn t i know for a fact i had to make sure there was an interpeter for me, whilist when i was doing a group in CA, there wasn t jackshit.... and now slowly i mean ultra slowly thier starting to provide interpters and or a deaf DV like DWAV in SF, and one in VA that fly free mentioned, I wished there was one for the abuser to voulnteer in themselves to attend such a class and not be in denial I m RECONIZING the magtinude of shortage for those who need help JUST as the same for the victims too...

Originally posted by javapride
IF anyone KNOWS anything about this kind of programs for the offender which is ME, please contact me, cuz this is very important to me and would like to be able to do this and show myself I CAN do something like this

I ll do ANYTHING to get into program I know this is like a 12 step rehab type for me BUT anything that will make it worthwhile for my own self worth. thanks :)

Well, I suggest you to do your homework and look at yellow pages to find the specific programs for offender.. like anger managment sessions, for example. I am not very familiar with HI programs. I wish you good luck.

Deaf DV Agencies listings:

Some of Deaf DV agencies have websites and some other do not have..

Seattle- www.adwas.org
Hayward, CA- www.dwav.org
Castro Valley, CA - www.deaf-hope.org
Rochester, NY- www.asadv.org
South Barre, VT- www.dvas.org
Austin, TX- www.dawcas.org
Denver, CO- www.deafdove.org
Los Angeles, CA- www.lacaaw.org
Norristown, PA- www.laurelhouseonline.org/advan.htm
Jacksonville, IL (Chicago)- www.chicagohearingsociety.org/CHS
Washington, DC- www.deafdawn.org
Salt City City, UT- www.slcad.org

Des Moines, IA (used to have website, I dunno why it is gone)...call 515-281-7120 or contact Suzy Mannella at suzy.mannella@dhr.state.ia.us

St. Paul, MN- 651-487-8871 or contact Nancy Emery at dvddeaf@wyndtell.com

Boston, MA- 603-224-8127 or email Lisa Flynn at lisaflynn@aol.com

Columbus, OH- contact Cheryl Prusinski at prusinksk@osd.ode.state.oh.us

Detroit, MI- contact Diane Kinnee at pinegowild@aol.com

Honolulu, HI- contact Francine Kenyon at kenyon@hawaii.edu

Oklahoma- I have no numbers or website yet.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Sadly, some terps can breach confidentiality. It is hard to protect Deaf survivors from other Deaf gossipers. For example, one Deaf DV survivor does not want student to see her during her session at the agency, so co worker told the student to stay there while the DV survivor has to leave out of the place. It is very hard to keep in control in the agency where other Deaf DV survivors do not see each other in the same place (few of them did see each other on occassions).

yes some terps are known to breach confidentality which is indeed unfortunate *smh* as for the other clients seeing other clients at the support location -- yes it can be quite difficult to maintain the confidentality but then again if person A saw person B and know eachother and dont say anything to eachother then person A would not know what REALLY is going on with person B and person B could simply be there for some entirely different reason perhaps getting information for their own friend that is in need of services and is ashamed to do so on her own qq thats possible too uhmm

Deaf DV Agencies listings:

Some of Deaf DV agencies have websites and some other do not have..

Seattle- www.adwas.org
Hayward, CA- www.dwav.org
Sacramento, CA - www.deaf-hope.org
Rochester, NY- www.asadv.org
South Barre, VT- www.dvas.org
Austin, TX- www.dawcas.org
Denver, CO- www.deafdove.org
Los Angeles, CA- www.lacaaw.org
Norristown, PA- www.laurelhouseonline.org/advan.htm
Jacksonville, IL (Chicago)- www.chicagohearingsociety.org/CHS
Washington, DC- www.deafdawn.org
Salt City City, UT- www.slcad.org

Des Moines, IA (used to have website, I dunno why it is gone)...call 515-281-7120 or contact Suzy Mannella at suzy.mannella@dhr.state.ia.us

Minnesota, MN- 651-487-8871 or contact Nancy Emery at dvddeaf@wyndtell.com

Boston, MA- 603-224-8127 or email Lisa Flynn at lisaflynn@aol.com

Columbus, OH- contact Cheryl Prusinski at prusinksk@osd.ode.state.oh.us

Detroit, MI- contact Diane Kinnee at pinegowild@aol.com

Honolulu, HI- contact Francine Kenyon at kenyon@hawaii.edu

Oklahoma- I have no numbers or website yet.

this listing u have posted is GREAT!!!!! im impressed and thank u Oddball for posting them so anyone who wants to get in touch can anonymously get the information off of here and get in touch with the appropriate person -- wonderful! one thing is u listed Minnesota, MN -- do i take it it should be listed as Minneapolis Minnesota q

Originally posted by Fly Free
this listing u have posted is GREAT!!!!! im impressed and thank u Oddball for posting them so anyone who wants to get in touch can anonymously get the information off of here and get in touch with the appropriate person -- wonderful! one thing is u listed Minnesota, MN -- do i take it it should be listed as Minneapolis Minnesota q

St. Paul.. Thanks for correcting me. I edited it recently.

Originally posted by ShEiLdTaLiSmAn
Matt.. u dont know. It might not what happen. She might DID fell down. U didnt see what happen. All u saw her flying down to the ground. How can u be so sure? Just a thought.
She went flying backwards...like pushed. And her husband wasn't there to help, he was yelling at her.

Originally posted by prostock19
She went flying backwards...like pushed. And her husband wasn't there to help, he was yelling at her.

Her husband is an asshole jerk!! He is no good to her. I hope someday, he will get arrested for Domestic Violence.

It's sad and scary having a domestic violence happen right in the home. I used to be roommates with 3 other people -- all of us were using drugs and drinking alcohol....that was back in the early '90's in Los Angeles.
It was my mistake of moving in with them...I was only 20 at the time and I wanted my freedom outside the rehabilitional centre I was living in before. Boy was I greatly mistaken!
There was only one guy living with us 3 girls...he was involved in a relationship with one other girl living with us. Oh, I had to break up a lot of fights between them, nearly on a daily basis. It was terrible. (All deaf, FYI)
One morning, I was awakened by Lan (anonymous name) -- she was crying and covered with blood on her face. Her boyfriend, Eri, had beaten the crap out of her. I tried my best in helping them resolve whatever problems they had. I even tried suggesting that they split up for a short time and live separately...no use. I was stuck in a contract with the apartment (one year lease). I talked that over with the manager about the situation and they let me out of the contract 6 months into it without any penalties and had everyone else kicked out with penalties.
For a couple of months, I was unsure of where I'd be living next, ended up living with a HOH lady, Joyce, in downtown L.A. -- yikes! Never again will I live in downtown L.A. *brrr* It's one TOUGH part of L.A. I bumped into 2 different gangs (supposedly the most dangerous ones in L.A.) -- Bloods and Crips. Fortunately for me, they were nice to me. Phew!
Finally, I moved to West Hollywood and roomed with a good friend of mine who I went to school with years before. It was alright until I decided I had enough of L.A. and it's crazy lifestyle and moved back north into my parents'.

Goldie

Waterrats -- glad u got urself out of that situation and the gangs u mentioned about -- sounded like u were in the area of East LA qq

OK whatever, prostock.

As for waterrats, I'm glad u got out of there with no pentalies. :)
And out of the area that aint good for you.

well I saw some but not that often.. at all.. so.. It was unpleasant experience for me anyway.

Back