Anyone who involved or saw..

DWAV UPDATE:

Deaf Women Against Violence is no longer in services due to two main factors:

For Press Release

Date: September 12, 2003

Email: dwav@dwav.org

DEAF WOMEN AGAINST VIOLENCE: CLOSING ITS DOORS

Effective immediately, Deaf Women Against Violence (DWAV) is shutting down and is no longer providing services. It has filed for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

If anyone needs information or legal services to get protection from the batterer, please contact either Deaf Counseling Advocacy and Referral Agency (DCARA), California Center for Law and the Deaf (CalCLAD) or Legal Center for Families (LCFF). One of these agencies will help you directly or refer

you to another agency who can help you. Their phone numbers and website

addresses are:

DCARA- 877-DCARA88 (tty), 877-DCARA99 (voice), www.dcara.org;

CalCLAD- 877-DEAFLAW tty/voice, www.deaflaw.org; and

LCFF- 510-451-9261 (voice), www.lcff.org.

DWAV is folding under because of several significant factors. One of the most significant impact on the Board of Director's decision to file bankruptcy is a series of lawsuits that were filed within the Alameda County courthouse and the negative consequences that would result from these lawsuits. DWAV is one of the two defendants in these lawsuits brought on by

a previous landlord that began in August of 2002. During the process of

these lawsuits, we realized that we could not guarantee that any money fundraised or received from funders would go to the valuable services that DWAV provides for deaf survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. There was the enormous potential for funds from grants and donations to be seized by the plaintiff at the end of the lawsuits.

Another significant factor contributing to the closing of the Agency, like many other nonprofit agencies across the country, is the economic downturn. DWAV needs a combination of funding from government or private grants and donations from the general public to maintain its day-to-day operations. While DWAV was successful with several community grants, to date, a decision has not yet been announced by the Federal Office of Violence Against Women (VAWA), that DWAV was hoping would significantly fund one of our major programs, Deaf Women Legal Project (DWLP). This funding would have helped to pay for major obligations such as 2-year lease where DWAV currently resides. The long wait time (that is two and a half months overdue) for this announcement of refunding has seriously disrupted DWAV's cash flow to the point that we are being seriously immobilized, especially in light of the impending judgments from the lawsuits.

Thank you for the support that you have given to DWAV and the victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

DWAV Board of Directors

UPDATE!!

Since DWAV is no longer available to DV survivors.

But, Northern CA has a newly DV agency that called

Deaf Hope.

Check it out at www.deaf-hope.org

It was formerly established in Sacramento, now relocated in Castro Valley. Most recent CEO of the DV agency is Julie Rems-Smario. Pls keep in mind, the organization is immediately starting to provide emergency services to DV survivors. For Northern Californians need immediate services, so they can contact the email addresses:

services@deaf-hope.org

Julie Rems-Smario at julie@deaf-hope.org
Amber Hodson at amber@deaf-hope.org
Jane Whitney at jane@deaf-hope.org

Last edited:
It´s very sad to read all of your posts here. I found link thru Javapride in Miss P´s thread "Abuse in Gay relationship" so I add my link here what I had been thru.

I dont add my link in Miss P´s thread "Abuse in Gay relationship" because my story in my link is not belong Miss P´s thread but here.

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=6722&page=2&pp=20&highlight=Abusive+relationship

Liza, I know how you feel because your condition is almost similar as me. I had been through but I forgave my Dad after what he did to me in the past.

My mother is an acholic
My father is a gambler

Back