AIM Relay Calls

AngryOpr - I'm still clapping my hands.

Clapping.gif

Thank you for bringing this to our attention to prompt more awareness of how to use the relay services in a proper way. That will also enhance things up to make the phone call transition to be as smooth as possible.

Another question is - What can we do to make it easier? Are there other things that a deaf client can use to in order to make it easier on both the hearing user and the relay operator? Any tips would be very much helpful.

Sorry, I am with AngryOpr, I do find it annoying when people left away message even though we are talking at the moment. Never forget, it never bites to ask to turn their away message off ;)

with the confidentaility issues, morality police, attitudes on the job, overeager,overbearing bosses, its easy for people to lose perspective here. "I" for one know what you mean how AngryOpr feels. I also know how it feel when threaten when there is a hint of possiblity of our coversations being posted here. Both sides were correct. But the biggest problem here is that its not common sense the problem here, its the ethics. I am typing this with a sad and heavy heart. I can see all sides here, and i can forsee in the future something is going to change , and we are not gonna like it.:mad::hmm:

"Moron" not nice to deafie callers, they think a relay oper discrimated on deaf callers, you'll losing a customer while deafie caller notified all friend not use the "Relay 1" as your job company, they decided switched to Relay 2 company..

AngryOpr, you should get Angry Managment class. You can't force all deafies down while they want to use "Away" mode while calling relay, the reason deafie caller don't want other IM'er bothered messages while a relay calls.

I'm with many others and AngryOpr. I do find it annoying with someone leaving on auto away message on while they talk with me. Everytime I send reply and I get an away message, it's really annoying! The operator only needs a real conversation with a deaf customer, not a conversation with an away message that repeats and repeats which can be bothersome. My advise is to remind all the deaf people who has a habit with away messages who uses IM relay service.

"Moron" not nice to deafie callers, they think a relay oper discrimated on deaf callers, you'll losing a customer while deafie caller notified all friend not use the "Relay 1" as your job company, they decided switched to Relay 2 company..

AngryOpr, you should get Angry Managment class. You can't force all deafies down while they want to use "Away" mode while calling relay, the reason deafie caller don't want other IM'er bothered messages while a relay calls.

AngryOpr doesn't need to go to an angry management course, this person is trying to inform everyone about the way the relay service works, THIAT includes the recevier which can cause a few confusions. AngryOpr is not discriminating the deafies in the community, this user is just doing the job to let us know. So next time, turn the auto messages off, which you don't understand what AngryOpr said earlier in the thread, that it incudes in the " " and automatically relays ---- do you want a friend to tell you to piss off or what? Think twice, buddy.

Thank you very much. Like I said, for the most part my job is enjoyable. I appreciate people that appreciate us, and I don't expect any kind of praise (it is my job after all) but I really dislike when people talk down to relay operators like they are the scum of the earth. No different than treating your waiter at a restaurant like garbage.

You're very welcome, and You're absolutely correct I'm a firm believer in treating people the way you want to be treated. I don't know why some deaf people act the way they are, but I hope things will be better for you the next time you take calls from them. :) Best of luck to you.

My newest "away" message on my AIM:

[AWAY] I am an angry relay operator who is voicing for a nice, sexy deaf lady. I am an operator who SEEMS like a moron.

Don't forget to voice this away message every time it comes on because that is required by the company. Have a good day.

[AWAY] I am an angry relay operator who is voicing for a nice, sexy deaf lady. I am an operator who SEEMS like a moron.

Don't forget to voice this away message every time it comes on because that is required by the company. Have a good day.

Huh? :confused:

That's probably one of her blonde moments. :laugh2:

all angryop is trying to do is to offer a little friendly advice. nothing more, nothing less.

all angryop is trying to do is to offer a little friendly advice. nothing more, nothing less.

Agree, also I notice some of ADers around this thread misunderstood when he/she said "moron", he/she didn't mean by insulting us, he/she probably just are saying that it is making us look moron when leaving the away message because it will make the conservation a little weird.

Just my opinion.

Agree, also I notice some of ADers around this thread misunderstood when he/she said "moron", he/she didn't mean by insulting us, he/she probably just are saying that it is making us look moron when leaving the away message because it will make the conservation a little weird.

Just my opinion.

exactly. i didn't see anything in angryop's post where they called any of us (or deaf/hoh relay users in general) morons.

exactly. i didn't see anything in angryop's post where they called any of us (or deaf/hoh relay users in general) morons.

Correct, I would never make accusations like that, especially about an ENTIRE group of people. That would be totally immature. Whoever said it is right, I am just trying to tell you that it makes you SEEM like a moron. I am not saying that you are one, because I understand, especially after reading this thread, that many people were unaware of our policy of voicing everything, including the away message!

If you didn't know, you're not a moron. Even if you choose to leave it up you're not a moron, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the person on the other end of the phone line is likely to think less of you if you are continually repeating a totally unrelated message. Make sense?

As far as other things you can do to make relay calls "Easier" -- there is one thing that many people seem to misunderstand. If you call a phone number and it comes up with a "Recorded Message" or "IVR", meaning it is just a machine listing options, we have some strict guidelines (at my center) about how we can handle these calls.
For instance: If you call and the options are
"Press 1 for billing
Press 2 for scheduling
Press 3 for more options"

If ALL you tell us is "Get me live rep!" We CANNOT navigate the menu to "find" the option for a live rep. Unless, that option is actually listed (IE: "Press 0 for a representative") we need YOU to pick an option.
This can get very aggravating for both sides (Opr and Caller) when people don't understand this. We cannot just magically make a rep appear! Keep that in mind! I'll make a new thread for more questions.

Correct, I would never make accusations like that, especially about an ENTIRE group of people. That would be totally immature. Whoever said it is right, I am just trying to tell you that it makes you SEEM like a moron. I am not saying that you are one, because I understand, especially after reading this thread, that many people were unaware of our policy of voicing everything, including the away message!

If you didn't know, you're not a moron. Even if you choose to leave it up you're not a moron, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the person on the other end of the phone line is likely to think less of you if you are continually repeating a totally unrelated message. Make sense?

As far as other things you can do to make relay calls "Easier" -- there is one thing that many people seem to misunderstand. If you call a phone number and it comes up with a "Recorded Message" or "IVR", meaning it is just a machine listing options, we have some strict guidelines (at my center) about how we can handle these calls.
For instance: If you call and the options are
"Press 1 for billing
Press 2 for scheduling
Press 3 for more options"

If ALL you tell us is "Get me live rep!" We CANNOT navigate the menu to "find" the option for a live rep. Unless, that option is actually listed (IE: "Press 0 for a representative") we need YOU to pick an option.
This can get very aggravating for both sides (Opr and Caller) when people don't understand this. We cannot just magically make a rep appear! Keep that in mind! I'll make a new thread for more questions.

Yeah that's what I thought so :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your question. No, I haven't ever discussed that with my manager specifically. For the most part, it all come down to this: I am a human phone line. It is the Deaf/HH person's call and the hearing person's call, thus, we have practically no involvement either as operators or as management. The bottom line is: no one in any way, shape, or form, is to interfere with a relay call other than to make sure it's being facilitated correctly. These rules are in place because it's what keeps it YOUR call where you are able to say whatever you want at anytime no matter the subject matter without any interference from us. It's pretty much an all or nothing deal. Once you start trying to say "well perhaps we can at least....." then it would just spiral out of control as most things do when you take away restrictions.

Basically, that's the deal. I very much wish there was a place online or a pamphlet of some sort that laid out a few simple tips for using relay. I give kudos to the other operator when they stated this really isn't for us. Yes, it cuts down a bit on the annoyance, but most of the annoyance is when we know you meant to type something else or omit something particular or just have a computer malfunction and we can't comment about it at all. So we have to read it straight. Our annoyance SHOULD BE your annoyance, because we just want everything to go well. If we didn't like the Deaf/HH community, we wouldn't be working in our field in the first place.

Does that make sense?

?If ALL you tell us is "Get me live rep!" We CANNOT navigate the menu to "find" the option for a live rep. Unless, that option is actually listed (IE: "Press 0 for a representative") we need YOU to pick an option.

I'm so guilty for asking to get a live representative on line when it's not on the option menu :Oops: The reason I asked an operator to try to get me a representative is because none of the option on the menu is what I'm calling for. When the recorder on the other line ask for my phone number, and that is given, the recording repeats back to the menu board. It was very frustrate, it wasn't getting me anywhere to where I want to go. I know it's not the relay operator's fault, it's the company. That's why I ask them politely to try their best to get me a live representative on line, and after many tries, then finally a representative came on the other line. I'm sorry!! :lol:

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your question. No, I haven't ever discussed that with my manager specifically. For the most part, it all come down to this: I am a human phone line. It is the Deaf/HH person's call and the hearing person's call, thus, we have practically no involvement either as operators or as management. The bottom line is: no one in any way, shape, or form, is to interfere with a relay call other than to make sure it's being facilitated correctly. These rules are in place because it's what keeps it YOUR call where you are able to say whatever you want at anytime no matter the subject matter without any interference from us. It's pretty much an all or nothing deal. Once you start trying to say "well perhaps we can at least....." then it would just spiral out of control as most things do when you take away restrictions.

Basically, that's the deal. I very much wish there was a place online or a pamphlet of some sort that laid out a few simple tips for using relay. I give kudos to the other operator when they stated this really isn't for us. Yes, it cuts down a bit on the annoyance, but most of the annoyance is when we know you meant to type something else or omit something particular or just have a computer malfunction and we can't comment about it at all. So we have to read it straight. Our annoyance SHOULD BE your annoyance, because we just want everything to go well. If we didn't like the Deaf/HH community, we wouldn't be working in our field in the first place.

Does that make sense?

Yes. thats so tough. That would be a nice if there is a "feedback" forum somewhere. Anyone who rely on the ip relay and they would leave lots of good feedbacks between ip relay user and relay operator focusing on the ulilizing relay service, not personal involved. yep, thats too bad.

Back