AIM Relay Calls

tabularasa and angryop,

do you have any questions you'd like to ask us? i'd be more than happy to answer some of them. :)

AngryOpr and other relay operators,

Why is that when I call via relay and get an automated message, why do they ALWAYS say (recording to relay) and I have to wait ten or more minutes before they can start typing out the entire message? I really hate that. They used to start typing right away as soon as they hear the message, and so I can pick which option/number to press I want as we go along, instead of having to wait ten minutes or more, and by the time he or she types the message, if I want to pick an option they have to redial and then press the number for the option I want and so on. It takes up a LOT of time and I don't really have the time for this. This started happening about a year ago. Before that, they never ever had a problem starting to type out the entire message right away as soon as they hear it, and it was always so much easier. Why did they change this? Now, it's so much harder, and it grates on me. I should be able to "hear" (read) the message as soon as it starts, like a hearing person. I want to and I should be able to use the phone and use their automated system and pick out options just like a hearing person is able to do so. Why did they have to change this to what they are doing now? It was working so well before they started the whole (recording to relay) thing, and well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but now they changed it and now it doesn't work so well for us. It wastes a lot more time for us, takes up more of our time, and make things harder for us. Those times are the times that I actually wish I was fully hearing. I am not ashamed of being Deaf at all, but I have to admit, it does make some things more difficult for me, to be honest. It's not always easy being Deaf. It's really frustrating at times. :(

i don't understand the difference between (recording to relay) and (automated system). do they mean the same thing and is this just a difference in terms used by each ca?

Why is that when I call via relay and get an automated message, why do they ALWAYS say (recording to relay) and I have to wait ten or more minutes before they can start typing out the entire message? I really hate that. They used to start typing right away as soon as they hear the message, and so I can pick which option/number to press I want as we go along, instead of having to wait ten minutes or more, and by the time he or she types the message, if I want to pick an option they have to redial and then press the number for the option I want and so on. It takes up a LOT of time and I don't really have the time for this. This started happening about a year ago. Before that, they never ever had a problem starting to type out the entire message right away as soon as they hear it, and it was always so much easier. Why did they change this? Now, it's so much harder, and it grates on me. I should be able to "hear" (read) the message as soon as it starts, like a hearing person. I want to and I should be able to use the phone and use their automated system and pick out options just like a hearing person is able to do so. Why did they have to change this to what they are doing now? It was working so well before they started the whole (recording to relay) thing, and well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but now they changed it and now it doesn't work so well for us. It wastes a lot more time for us, takes up more of our time, and make things harder for us. Those times are the times that I actually wish I was fully hearing. I am not ashamed of being Deaf at all, but I have to admit, it does make some things more difficult for me, to be honest. It's not always easy being Deaf. It's really frustrating at times. :(

I can totally relate to that. My boyfriend has personally seen how it can take me 30-40 minutes to make a call (especially one that's automated, and we have to wait for the entire message to be relayed, just like you said, and redial, and then press options and finally get to something,) and HE can do the exact same call in 5-10 minutes max (he is hearing.) Makes me frustrated I can't do that in the same amount of time, not even close! I have started to have him make more calls for me than I ever used to. (Which he doesn't mind at all, thankfully!)

Last edited:

Not sure on this one, that is a relay company thing. Our company, we start typing as soon as the message hits, and like was discussed earlier, we TRY to get it all, but sometimes we paraphrase or type "(too fast)" to get the most important stuff across. If you want the message in it's entirety from us, all you have to do is ask and we will redial until we get it all. So, I would suggest changing services or asking your opr to help you out by typing it right away. I'm assuming you mean they are "gathering information", which is a term a lot of the relay services use when they are getting the whole recording down.

We don't do that, but I don't think I can give out which service I work for, so you may just have to shop around until you find one that doesn't do that. :lol:

Not sure on this one, that is a relay company thing. Our company, we start typing as soon as the message hits, and like was discussed earlier, we TRY to get it all, but sometimes we paraphrase or type "(too fast)" to get the most important stuff across. If you want the message in it's entirety from us, all you have to do is ask and we will redial until we get it all. So, I would suggest changing services or asking your opr to help you out by typing it right away. I'm assuming you mean they are "gathering information", which is a term a lot of the relay services use when they are getting the whole recording down.

We don't do that, but I don't think I can give out which service I work for, so you may just have to shop around until you find one that doesn't do that. :lol:

Paraphrasing or saying "too fast" is fine, I understand that. It's (recording to relay) that I don't like, especially if you are able to hear the message and it's not too fast. I've asked my opr toooooo many time to please type right away and they always refuse. I use IP-Relay. I use that one because then I can make phone calls from my Sidekick on AIM when I am out and about, and I do not have access to a computer or a TTY.

Are you unable to give out which service you work for just in the general forum, like AD, or is it okay to tell me in PM? If you can tell me in PM, I'd really appreciate it, cause I want to change to your service if possible, especially if I can use your service using my Sidekick. If you absolutely can't tell me at all in any way, that is OK, and I respect that. I don't want you to get fired/terminated. Losing your job would totally suck!

Back