AIM Relay Calls

[Mod's Edit - Previous Quote removed]

Make your own phone calls, I'm sure a potential employer will find:

"Hi, My name is John Doe, I think I'd really benefit your company because [AWAY MESSAGE] HEY GUYS! JUST GOT BACK FROM VEGAS, IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have many years of computer software experience...."

Yeah. We're total jerks.

Last edited by a moderator:
See above the bolded statement.

You brought your work home and into this forum, cha-ching! You violated your confidentiality agreements. :giggle: Nice try backpedaling. :giggle:

Not being able to direct these kind of comments at relay users while in operator status isn't a confidentiality breach just because it's against FCC regulations. The FCC has a lot of non-confidentiality related rules. One of the main ones being that we can have no emotion or opinion; also, that the Deaf/HH party must conduct the entire call THEMSELVES. That means picking their own options and saying whatever they want, and who are we to tell you you don't mean to let someone know you're away... especially when the hearing party has no idea you're using AIM and therefore a mistake has occured and that's why the conversation has become outrageously confusing.

Bringing work home with you and breaking confidentiality is not the same thing. The original poster has not broken confidentiality.

Make your own phone calls, I'm sure a potential employer will find:

"Hi, My name is John Doe, I think I'd really benefit your company because [AWAY MESSAGE] HEY GUYS! JUST GOT BACK FROM VEGAS, IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have many years of computer software experience...."

Yeah. We're total jerks.

like i said, she can quit.

Kudos to this operator - he/she really brought up a good point. I never thought of it and I am guilty of that sometimes. Many of us have away messages and we still respond to IP Relay calls or other people. What I didnt relaize that the operator has to repeat my away message everytime I say something - no wonder if the person on the other end of the line will think Im crazy.

I appreciate it that you brought this to our attention. I think many misunderstood what you were trying to say. I dont see you breaking any confidentiality but undoubtedly this is unorthorox that you would come on tihs forum to tell us but yes I can imagine that you must be feeling exasperated from putting up with this example of poor phone etiquette.

I don't think it's unorthodox but I appreciate your levelheaded response. Once again, realize that this is an attempt on my part to bridge the gap between deaf culture and hearing culture. I may have come off as abrasive, but that is just because I sometimes get sour with the things I deal with day in and day out. (such as this). I don't mean to offend people that use the service or imply that all relay-users are morons, I'm simply trying to help the process.

dead money said:
like i said, she can quit.
You have got to be kidding me. You, as a deaf/HH person, should be appreciative of relay operators if nothing else. We are, after all, providing a service to you, FOR FREE. Guess what, I don't get free phone service. I pay for mine. Your disrespect truly angers me. If I didn't like my job overall, I would quit. But, I have no major issues with my job, although at tabla stated, it does become emotionally draining to have no outlet.
This is one issue that I have with the way the service is used, I wouldn't quit over such a small issue. I'm simply trying to resolve an issue. Why don't you "quit" using relay service?
Trust me, us operators would be much happier if such unappreciative deafies never placed phone calls with us. We wouldn't miss you.

Hey, folks, this was just some friendly advice, jeezzz.

You have got to be kidding me. You, as a deaf/HH person, should be appreciative of relay operators if nothing else. We are, after all, providing a service to you, FOR FREE. Guess what, I don't get free phone service. I pay for mine. Your disrespect truly angers me. If I didn't like my job overall, I would quit. But, I have no major issues with my job, although at tabla stated, it does become emotionally draining to have no outlet.
This is one issue that I have with the way the service is used, I wouldn't quit over such a small issue. I'm simply trying to resolve an issue. Why don't you "quit" using relay service?
Trust me, us operators would be much happier if such unappreciative deafies never placed phone calls with us. We wouldn't miss you.

if this isnt a "major" issue, you wouldnt be calling us morons with the username AngryOpr...and im sure someone would love doing your job in a heartbeat should u leave. But nooooo, u come on here and bitch about it. And dont even bring up the fact you have to "pay" for your service. If we got it so good, you would've stabbed your eardrums with a rusty butter knife ages ago. Sure, some people aren't the brighest crayons in the box, but that doesnt account for all deaf/hoh people using relay. Go wait tables or something, take all that harnessed anger and point it towards a rude customer who you KNOW you can fuck over right then and there. Seems to fit your personality.

Last edited:
if this isnt a "major" issue, you wouldnt be calling us morons with the username AngryOpr...and im sure someone would love doing your job in a heartbeat should u leave. But nooooo, u come on here and bitch about it. And dont even bring the fact you have to "pay" for your service. If we got it so good, you would've stabbed your eardrums with a rusty butter knife ages ago. Sure, some people aren't the brighest crayons in the box, but that doesnt account for all deaf/hoh people using relay. Go wait tables or something, take all that harnessed anger and point it towards a rude customer who you KNOW you can fuck over right then and there. Seems to fit your personality.

HAHA! That was hilarious. :laugh2: Thanks for bringing the conversation back down to fun.

So, what else is new with relay?

if this isnt a "major" issue, you wouldnt be calling us morons with the username AngryOpr...and im sure someone would love doing your job in a heartbeat should u leave. But nooooo, u come on here and bitch about it. And dont even bring the fact you have to "pay" for your service. If we got it so good, you would've stabbed your eardrums with a rusty butter knife ages ago. Sure, some people aren't the brighest crayons in the box, but that doesnt account for all deaf/hoh people using relay. Go wait tables or something, take all that harnessed anger and point it towards a rude customer who you KNOW you can fuck over right then and there. Seems to fit your personality.

What you fail to realize is that this sort of thing has minimal impact on ME. This post is more for the benefit of people who USE relay. Like I said, it's slightly irritating to have to repeat the same away message over and over again, but at the end of the day it is not my conversation that comes off like a big joke. So yeah, it benefits me slightly to post this up, but it could benefit you much more than it could ever benefit me. The point of using relay is to facilitate communication between a Deaf/HH and a Hearing person, and if something like an away message is interfering with communication, I see nothing wrong with pointing it out to the people who use the service.

If you're so "offended" by it, or whatever seems to have your panties in an uproar, then don't listen. I'm not going to quit my job, but if you leave up your away message you are ultimately hurting no one but yourself because you leave the hearing party with a negative impression of you and your communication skills.

And I'm not saying that deaf/HH people have it great, I'm not saying that I would prefer to be deaf (nor am I saying that it would be a negative thing, mind you). I am saying that as far as relay goes, you have a pretty good deal. You run into the occasional bad operator, but I assure you I am not one of them. I take my job pretty seriously and I do the best that I can to relay the conversation properly, which is why I'm here. If I was a shady operator or had a serious issue with the people who use relay, I would say it in the phone calls.

Trust me, if all I was after was self satisfaction from bitching for the sake of bitching it would be MUCH MUCH MUCH more satisfying for me to verbally (or through text, rather) abuse the hell out of the people that actually do the irritating things directly. Instead, I am posting this up as more of a public service announcement, something to help all people involved in the relay process. Take it or leave it, hate it or love it. It's honestly just some advice. Thanks to the people that realized that and have taken it well.

Have you ever discuss with your manager about what to do with this and fcc regulations. I dont know if it's ok for you to add status like in your away message but not with the yellow post. Just a status. "if you plan to use ip relay here, and please turn your away message off and any questions calling the numbers" i thought it would make things easier for the both of us and operators. :shrug:

???

AngryOpr - well said.... well said.

Clapping.gif

I too have a pet peeve when talking with someone with their away message on. It is annoying to see their AWAY message repeatedly showing up in convo line by line.

I'm with you 100 percent, AngryOpr, It's rude and annoying when people leave their away message up when making a phone call. I can't blame you for being upset, You have every right to be. And I'm not one of those "morons" who would do that. ;)

And for some of you people here, This relay operator is doing you a favor by making the call for you, why are you giving her a hard time? Just take her advice and stop putting your away messages up, simple as it is. If you don't like it then make your own calls without their help, Let's see how you could do it by yourself. :laugh2:

AngryOpr (or any Relay Operators)... if one is away (idled) and don't have the away message turned on, would you know they are idled/away from the computer/phone? Don't know if youse use the actual AOL IM/AIM client to see all the status.

I can only speak for myself, I'm deaf and I do very much appreciated the 24-hour service you have provided that allows people who are Deaf, Hard of hearing to place their calls. I'm very glad you brought this to our attention, and I hope this doesn't happen again. ;) If there is anything else that we should know, feel free to say so. ;)

I can only speak for myself, I'm deaf and I do very much appreciated the 24-hour service you have provided that allows people who are Deaf, Hard of hearing to place their calls. I'm very glad you brought this to our attention, and I hope this doesn't happen again. ;) If there is anything else that we should know, feel free to say so. ;)
Count me in. :)

To be honest, This relay operator have NOT violated any regulation at all. He or she has NOT mentioned exact name of person, who he/she calls, what the conversation about, None of these confidential information shared yet.
He or she only say IN general which gave NO hints of who, When, where, what, etc.

Bingo - you are not an authentic relay operator.

One- you violated the confidentiality act.

Two- you are supposed to leave your work at WORK. Your home life is at HOME.

Three- See above post from diehardbiker regarding FCC.

Four- You are definitely not trained for this position.

Five - Think you are going to be a rabblerouser here, look elsewhere. :wave:

AngryOpr (or any Relay Operators)... if one is away (idled) and don't have the away message turned on, would you know they are idled/away from the computer/phone? Don't know if youse use the actual AOL IM/AIM client to see all the status.

Nope. at least not at the company I work for. All we can see is your client type (If it's AIM, Java applet, etc) and your screen name or IP address. We have a special counsel and all we get is the text that you send to us. For instance in the IM convo if it says
YourScreenname: Hey!
All our screen shows is "Hey!"

Also, I think the "idle" feature only applies if you haven't done any actions on AIM for a while. So, initiating the relay call would automatically take you out of "idle" status.

Thank you very much. Like I said, for the most part my job is enjoyable. I appreciate people that appreciate us, and I don't expect any kind of praise (it is my job after all) but I really dislike when people talk down to relay operators like they are the scum of the earth. No different than treating your waiter at a restaurant like garbage.

For everyone that said they appreciate the information: You're welcome!! If you have any other questions about relay/the phone system go ahead and ask. I'll answer the best I can.

They really wouldnt do that because they try to make using relay as... "friendly" as possible. Meaning that they don't want to discourage you from using relay even a little bit or even imply that you are doing something wrong. It's just a thing where they wouldn't bother doing it because it doesn't actually affect the ability to relay calls. All it affects is the ability of the conversation to be understood.

Back