AIM Relay Calls

AngryOpr

Reaction score
I am a relay operator. I would like to help you realize something. When you make an IP relay call through AIM and you leave your away message up, you sound like a MORON. As operators, we are required to voice everything from your end of the line. Meaning that every single thing we say is pre-emted with "Away Message: I'm not here!". Please. Stop doing this. Now go tell all your deaf friends to turn off their away messages before they make calls.

That's all.

Scammer? :run: for you lives. No wait it's not a scam...it's a warning?

It is not a scammer, Nathan. This person wanted to let you and all of us know, that it is a bit rude to let the other caller know if you wouldn't be here on AIM, such as incidated moron

Why should this be different from current Relay Operators with i711/IP-Relay sending us all the annoying auto-recorded messages and even links for us to return their calls?

First of all, this is not an authentic relay operator because one, a relay operator would not call us morons.

Two, i711/IP-Relay would have issued such message on their website and I have yet to seen one.

You can even see on the i711.com website under "Personal Announcement" section.

Personal Announcement. Going to be on vacation for a while? Out of the office for the day? Say so in your Personal Announcement. When people dial your i711 Call Me number, the i711 operator will read your announcement to callers, and they'll know to leave you a message. Change your announcement as often as you'd like.
source

Take the handlename - "AngryOpr". You think anyone will take that ID name seriously? Me, nope. :nono: First impressions...

First of all, this is not an authentic relay operator because one, a relay operator would not call us morons.

Two, i711/IP-Relay would have issued such message on their website and I have yet to seen one.

You can even see on the i711.com website under "Personal Announcement" section.

source

Take the handlename - "AngryOpr". You think anyone will take that ID name seriously? Me, nope. :nono: First impressions...

First of all, I am not affiliated with i711, and I am not familiar with whatever feature you are referring to.

I am speaking about when you make a relay call, using AIM, and your AIM screen name has the away message enabled. That means that everytime OUR relay screen name instant messages you with the hearing end of the conversation, YOUR screen name automatically replies with an away message. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

EX:

Deafie: Call 555-555-1232
Opr: Dialing... Ring... (answer) Hello?
Deafie: Away Message: I'm not here Hey Bob!
Opr: Hey, how are you?
Deafie: Away Message: I'm not here I'm good how are you?
Opr: I'm doing good, why do you keep saying you're not there?
Deafie: Away Message: I'm not here What are you talking about??

Yes we read that response, EVERY TIME. It is required by law. Yes, it is very annoying. And yes, I will call you a moron if you leave your away message on. This is outside the realm of my job. During the call, I will not mention it, but this is my free time and I am not required to be any more courteous to you than I would be anyone else. Not to mention the fact, I am trying to HELP you not sound like a MORON and facilitate the flow of your conversation.

Secondly, you are WRONG. I am in fact a relay operator. As far as calling you a moron is concerned, please see above message.

Yeah, I can see why it is annoying. I have gone through with a good friend of mine whose away message is always on. It is so annoying. I usually don't have the away message on.

Perhaps, the next time, ask them politely to turn their away message off?

This won't work, as per FCC regulation, all operators are NOT permitted to assist any customer other than RELAYING THE CONVERSATION. That that means is that relay Operator can NOT give personal interaction.

Perhaps, the next time, ask them politely to turn their away message off?

First of all, I am not affiliated with i711, and I am not familiar with whatever feature you are referring to.

I am speaking about when you make a relay call, using AIM, and your AIM screen name has the away message enabled. That means that everytime OUR relay screen name instant messages you with the hearing end of the conversation, YOUR screen name automatically replies with an away message. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

EX:

Yes we read that response, EVERY TIME. It is required by law. Yes, it is very annoying. And yes, I will call you a moron if you leave your away message on. This is outside the realm of my job. During the call, I will not mention it, but this is my free time and I am not required to be any more courteous to you than I would be anyone else. Not to mention the fact, I am trying to HELP you not sound like a MORON and facilitate the flow of your conversation.

Secondly, you are WRONG. I am in fact a relay operator. As far as calling you a moron is concerned, please see above message.

I am wondering if it bothers you so much. why don't you talk to your manager and let the manager whoever work for relay service on aim to make some announcement through AIM or in email somehow to spread out the words to let others know about it.

secondly, calling us a moron is a bad idea that's how you want us to start a flame war and cause problem between us and the operators. tsk tsk.

thirdly, quit your job so you would be happy not to say

"

anymore.

either quit your job or talk to your manager about it. your choice! i m sure that some of us are not aware about it.

or add your away message " turn your away message off and any questions contact the numbers thank you" will do.

Bingo - you are not an authentic relay operator.

One- you violated the confidentiality act.

Two- you are supposed to leave your work at WORK. Your home life is at HOME.

Three- See above post from diehardbiker regarding FCC.

Four- You are definitely not trained for this position.

Five - Think you are going to be a rabblerouser here, look elsewhere. :wave:

What she say...

CLEARLY, there are some misconceptions here about relay service, and confidentiality.

I in no way, shape, or form violated confidentiality in this post. Confidentiality means that I am not allowed to discuss the contents and details of the relay calls that I handled. I did not do so, I have simply discussed my position as a relay call operator, and made general statements about the relay PROCEDURE. That is not a violation of confidentiality.

Secondly, I think that you would be hard pressed to find someone who does not take some pieces of their work home with them. I am trying to make my life a little easier (it's no fun sounding like the moron voicing your away message every single time, either) as well as to help the overall call flow, AND HELP YOU AT THE SAME TIME. I am not saying that you ARE a moron. I am saying that if you leave your away message on while you make a relay call, the hearing party will PERCEIVE you as a MORON. Once again, I repeat. You will SEEM LIKE A MORON.

Lastly, diehard is right. According to FCC regulations, I, as a RELAY OPERATOR (Yes, I am really an operator) cannot make these sort of comments to you while at work. Hence, why I am doing it here. Honestly, if you have any other questions about relay, ask them. I would rather help you understand and make my life easier.

Have you ever discuss with your manager about what to do with this and fcc regulations. I dont know if it's ok for you to add status like an away message but not with the yellow post. Just a status. "if you plan to use ip relay here, and please turn your away message off and any questions calling the numbers" i thought it would make things easier for the both of us and operators. :shrug:

I don't really think this should turn into an argument. This would be a great opportunity for the Deaf and HH community as well as relay operators (such as myself) to work together to better the service. When we're on the job we can't really go "hey, you should turn off your away message because it's getting pretty confusing." Whatever appears on the screen must be said to the caller, (unless clearly obvious it's being directed at the operator, which the operator only knows if it starts... 'operator...')

We should be able to have civil conversations about relay both without breaking confidentiality, without spamming, and with an understanding between the two parties that its purpose is to better a service that is needed; for the Deaf and HH to call hearing parties, and for us to make a living and communicate with Deaf and HH friends.

Doesn't that make sense?

I don't think they intended to call you morons. I think they were just telling you what the hearing person on the other end of the phone might think; but perhaps they can concede a slight apology.

Mostly, I think we're both just talking about the things you can't possibly know about being a hearing party on the phone. It's not to say you're stupid, and it's not meant to offend you, but merely to teach about our phone culture and by doing so, perhaps we can make IP relay more efficient.

And, unfortunately, all relay companies do not run exactly the same. So where the original poster or I may have been trained to read everything on screen, perhaps others are not. But I think turning off your away message when making an AIM relay call is still just common courtesy, as it pops up every 3 minutes or so.

Are there any questions we could discuss about relay?

Kudos to this operator - he/she really brought up a good point. I never thought of it and I am guilty of that sometimes. Many of us have away messages and we still respond to IP Relay calls or other people. What I didnt relaize that the operator has to repeat my away message everytime I say something - no wonder if the person on the other end of the line will think Im crazy.

I appreciate it that you brought this to our attention. I think many misunderstood what you were trying to say. I dont see you breaking any confidentiality but undoubtedly this is unorthorox that you would come on tihs forum to tell us but yes I can imagine that you must be feeling exasperated from putting up with this example of poor phone etiquette.

I can see how relay operators invading alldeaf can be off-putting. Unfortunately there's no big "relay operator" forum. Jobs where people must retain confidentiality at all times can be emotinally draining and you have to have an outlet SOMEWHERE and SOMEHOW just to keep from going insane; again, without breaking confidentiality.

I'm sorry if we're unwelcome, but aside from other relay operators, you're the only culture we can really communicate with, especially over relay frustrations.

The large hope is that it will help us all.

I can see how relay operators invading alldeaf can be off-putting. Unfortunately there's no big "relay operator" forum. Jobs where people must retain confidentiality at all times can be emotinally draining and you have to have an outlet SOMEWHERE and SOMEHOW just to keep from going insane; again, without breaking confidentiality.

I'm sorry if we're unwelcome, but aside from other relay operators, you're the only culture we can really communicate with, especially over relay frustrations.

The large hope is that it will help us all.

I second that.

I learned something new! I didnt know that a relay operator will relay the away msg that was left on. Yes, i find it annoying when my friend leaves auto away on and when i send an im everytime and it repeats the away msg.

CLEARLY, there are some misconceptions here about relay service, and confidentiality.

I in no way, shape, or form violated confidentiality in this post. Confidentiality means that I am not allowed to discuss the contents and details of the relay calls that I handled. I did not do so, I have simply discussed my position as a relay call operator, and made general statements about the relay PROCEDURE. That is not a violation of confidentiality.

Secondly, I think that you would be hard pressed to find someone who does not take some pieces of their work home with them. I am trying to make my life a little easier (it's no fun sounding like the moron voicing your away message every single time, either) as well as to help the overall call flow, AND HELP YOU AT THE SAME TIME. I am not saying that you ARE a moron. I am saying that if you leave your away message on while you make a relay call, the hearing party will PERCEIVE you as a MORON. Once again, I repeat. You will SEEM LIKE A MORON.

Lastly, diehard is right. According to FCC regulations, I, as a RELAY OPERATOR (Yes, I am really an operator) cannot make these sort of comments to you while at work. Hence, why I am doing it here. Honestly, if you have any other questions about relay, ask them. I would rather help you understand and make my life easier.

See above the bolded statement.

You brought your work home and into this forum, cha-ching! You violated your confidentiality agreements. :giggle: Nice try backpedaling. :giggle:

Back