Social worker is after me…

I think employed by CPS because of her badge. I'll find out with a phone call.

I think employed by CPS because of her badge. I'll find out with a phone call.

Whether or not she is a licensed social worker makes a difference, too. They are licensed by the state independent of their employment. Most employees at CPS are not licensed professionals.

Wow, this is an interesting story. I'm sorry you have to go through this - but keep fighting.

unlicensed and she's throwing her weight around threatening to take the kids?? sheesh.

Wow!

First of all I should let you know that I am hearing, and I am beside myself after having read your post! I can't believe that a social worker (acutally I do believe) would do this. Obviously this individual has NO knowledge of deaf culture. I am so sorry for what you and your family are being put through. I am just learning about deaf and their culture, the deaf are truly inspirational to me. Maybe I am more accepting of different situations facing us do to growing up with a disabled parent??? My mother had polio as a child and her entire life has walked with a crutch, now that she is getting older she has resorted to a walker. Not that I feel being deaf is a handicap! I love reading post that people make to different websites, because it allows for me to learn deaf culture. My sister has a hard of hearing friend, and an aquaintance of my husband's has a deaf daughter with CI, other than that I don't know anyone deaf or hard of hearing, that is outside of school. I wish I could offer you advice. I know in my son's case we suspected ADD we could ask our school board for a child advocate, but in your case if there isn't anyone on the school board that is deaf you are SOL. I would look into your legal rights! Best of luck and please keep me posted as to what happens!

I had social services show up at my farm on Friday. She was there to talk to me about my 9 year old. We think it was a teacher that called them. She dose not like to wear her HA’s at all but will use her right one for school and sometimes when we go out. She caries one HA with her when she walks out of the house in case she needs it.

The social worker thinks we should wear our HA’s all day. She asked why we did not get CI for her yet. She wants us to get CI’s on both sides of her by July. I put in my HA because I had a phone call and took it right back out it sent her over the edge. She found out I had a second kid that had HA’s and saw her with out them and all most had a heart attack.

I could tell she knows nothing about deaf people and the technology there is for us. She did not even talk to our doctors to find out anything about our conditions. I really want to go to town and talk to her supervisor but I know I would say something and make it worse. She did make a few threats if we do not meet a few of her requests.

Both of my kids are pissed because I sent them to school with both of there HA’s in even though they both gave me a set of batteries.

What would you do?
Is being deaf that bad that I need to push my kids to wear both of there HA’s all day?
Both of my deaf kids can get CI’s but should I push them to get them if they do not want the surgery and they can live a normal life with just wearing HA’s?

We did have part of the meeting. The interpreter was only told that she was needed for 30 minutes and had to go after 45 minutes. There will be a meeting set up in the big city some time next week to continue what was started. We left after the interrupter left but the lawyer stayed.

The social worker that came to our house was still under probation and is going to be fired for this (so they say). We were told that she did not check in with her supervisor before she came out to our house. They are still investigating who called this in because most of the paperwork is missing. I think it has something to do with a teacher at school that has a 6 year old that is HOH and can not afford HA’s for the kid.

Zerodog I don’t think you need to worry too much about having money for a lawyer. The lawyer that were using told us there would not be a charge unless it goes to court and we win something but I hope it dose not go this far.

They can not do anything to us. Well my kid did drop the last jar of homemade strawberry jam today. I almost gave them a reason to step in ;-) .

The lawyer is dealing with social services. By Monday I should have a report from the school board. I did get a call off the news paper and looks like it will be covered on the front page on Saturday if they can get all there interviews done on time. I’m thinking the school board will hush them out or will not cover all the facts.

Wednesday morning the ball will get rolling a lot better. Were pressing charges on the social worker for criminal trespassing and some other charge? I have an interview with the layer and the newspaper. There planning on take pics after school at our house.

Jiro read this right.
It is all going to coming down to a teacher and a social worker that did not follow there procurers for harassment of the public.

Babyblue
I will post a link to the article if it makes it into the paper. We did an interview this morning with them. They will be out after school is out to ask more questions and stuff. They were mostly after information on being deaf, there lifestyle, there technology, and stuff like that. I’m sure it helped them when it comes down to better research now that they have more of an idea. I did leave them a bunch of rescores and some numbers of people to call and talk to.

Secetblend
You might say that but I will only push this till I’m satisfied that the people with wrong doing get what they have coming to them. So far the teacher and the social worker are the only ones at fault. I can not be but so pissed at the school board or social services because a few people went out and did what they wanted to.

The teacher is on unpaid leave pending the outcome of there investigation. The social worker has been fired and I have charged her for criminal trespassing and slander.

I know this is a sue happy world but it only looks like 2 people did this not the school board or SS. As long as the school board and SS dose there investigations fairly then how far can I push this before I become part of the problem. I would love to get this story out to the public but only if it is told with some explanation to the deaf lifestyle.

I do not want to become an outcast where I live. I don’t want to have to send my kids to private schools and home schooling is possible but do not want to go there.

I'm sorry cattlefarmer.......I am trying so hard to follow your situation but unfortunately I can't......I do want to help you but this is where I am having problems. So--help me out? ....:)

The issue I am having is that the dates don't add up.

I noticed that you posted this on Monday January 26th, 2009--talking about the previous Friday when the social worker came to your house--was Friday January 23rd or was it the week prior to that? January 16th, 2009?

Secondly, when a complaint is filed against a social worker, licensed or unlicensed, with Child Protective Services. They have to launch an investigation which takes time. They will interview the social worker and the teacher as well as interview you to make their decision.

Having them tell you that the social worker is going to be fired when the complaint is first made without an investigation on the same day that this gets posted?? Something is not right. Especially in this time frame as Child Protective Services don't move that fast when a complaint is made. Afterall has any of us ever gotten a straight answer from a governmental bureaucracy?

Third--the teacher being out on unpaid leave for possibly calling in a complaint to the social worker about the hearing aids? That sounds not kosher as school districts only force teachers to take unpaid leave when the teacher has blatantly violated a child by sexual assault, harrasment, along those lines. Being on unpaid leave for this????

Something doesn't make sense......

So--help me understand this. Thanks! :)

By the way--congrats on having 4 daughters. No doubt they are the apple of your eye--just like mine was. :)

Byrdie I understand where you’re coming from.

I had a visit on the 1-23

I was told that the social worker was going to be fired because she was still on probation. For what she is on probation for I’m not 100% sure. They did not say when she would be fired, but said she would be fired.

The school board said that the teacher would go on to unpaid leave because she admitted to talking to talking to the social worker about us and gave her our info. Because she gave out our information this is considered child endangerment, slander, and it is also a privacy issue because it was not done using the school policy. If the policy that was set up by the school board to protect the rights of students and there families then she would have nothing to do with this.

If your child was endangered by a teacher and admitted to it, do you think the school board would let them keep teaching, give them leave with pay, or leave with out pay until the investigation had been done?
No mater how you look at it she admitted to giving out info that lead to the harassment of my children, my wife, and I. just giving out the information would come down lack of privacy.

No mater how you look at it she admitted to giving out info that lead to the harassment of my children, my wife, and I. just giving out the information would come down lack of privacy.

schools are very very very very stickler about FERPA law and I'm appreciative of that.

Here is how it works with the school system. Teachers are mandated reporters. That means if they suspect child neglect or abuse in any way, they are mandated by law to report to CPS within 24 hours of the suspicion. If they do not report it, they are liable for legal prosecution. Once they report to CPS, it then becomes CPS's obligation to follow up on the complaint and make sure that the child is safe.

Even though this teacher may hqave jumped the gun, so to speak, if it is written into this child's IEP that hearing aids are to be worn during class times, and the hearing aid is not being worn, she followed the law in reporting this. CPS then followed their legal obligation by sending an investigator to check on the child's welfare.

I don't particularly agree with the philosophy of forcing a child to wear a hearing aid, but the fact of the matter is, these people were doing what they are mandated to do under the law.

My suggestion would be that you call an IEP meeting and have the IEP amended to include the fact that the child will not be wearing their hearing aid at all times. Of course, you will need to come up with a reason other than she simply doesn't want to wear it. Typically it would be that she receives so little benefit that the hearing aid interferes with her ability to discriminate visual information.

As the investigator is unlicensed, there isn't much you can do epcept file a complaint with CPS regarding her attitude. That will be handled internally.

Yes we have an IEP every year. It says one HA at all times and that it has to be turned on. It dose not say anything about the volume of the HA but says ONE has to be worn during the school day.

It also has in it…
The can get one dose of Advil through the school nurse program as needed per day without calling home; the few times one of them needed Advil they do have to call on of us because of the way the nurse program is set up.
They have the option to go to a different room to take a test. This is needed from time to time.
Any important notes that are given by mouth must be given to the child by the end of the school day.

Yes we have an IEP every year. It says one HA at all times and that it has to be turned on. It dose not say anything about the volume of the HA but says ONE has to be worn during the school day.

It also has in it…
The can get one dose of Advil through the school nurse program as needed per day without calling home; the few times one of them needed Advil they do have to call on of us because of the way the nurse program is set up.
They have the option to go to a different room to take a test. This is needed from time to time.
Any important notes that are given by mouth must be given to the child by the end of the school day.

Well, there you go.

It also has in it…

Then the teacher was doing her job as well as the social worker for following the IEP.

She has ONE HA in when at school and says she keeps it turned on. Yes she dose turn it down a little so she can consecrate during times that they are to do something that dose not involve verbal communication. I do see your point that if she has one HA in and she has to switch out the batteries during a time that nothing is going on that she is breaking the IEP, I would think that she has changed the batteries at school because there mostly used at school.

None of my kids are in a class or have been in the class of this teacher. Would she know what the IEP for my kid is? If she did know would it be snooping or would she need to know all the IEP’s for the school. She teaches a different grade of advanced math and has nothing to do with LD, ED, or the special needs programs.

So yes if she saw my daughter change the batteries in the one and only HA that she is using when she was on school grounds and she has a reason to know what her IEP had on it then yes I could under stand if she said something. For her to go to the point of her calling the law or CPS is slightly going above and beyond for the fact that she changed the batteries for her HA.

The point is she talked to someone that worked for CPS. She did not call CPS and make a report. I could see her talking to someone to ask what they thought about a situation. But at the point she put a name to the situation is where she broke our privacy. If the CPS person she was talking to thought action needed to be taken then she should have informed her to call 911 or call CPS to make a report. According to CPS there was never a report made. But for some reason there was a home visit made. We were also told CPS that we were not in there system.

If you want to get picky yes they do have a reason to come out and visit us for the day I took 3 of my kids to school and the 2 of them did not have ONE HA on them when we were talking to the principal. But this happened after CPS showed up. Yes I am guilty of forcing my kids to not go to school that day when they could have gone.

She has ONE HA in when at school and says she keeps it turned on. Yes she dose turn it down a little so she can consecrate during times that they are to do something that dose not involve verbal communication. I do see your point that if she has one HA in and she has to switch out the batteries during a time that nothing is going on that she is breaking the IEP, I would think that she has changed the batteries at school because there mostly used at school.

None of my kids are in a class or have been in the class of this teacher. Would she know what the IEP for my kid is? If she did know would it be snooping or would she need to know all the IEP’s for the school. She teaches a different grade of advanced math and has nothing to do with LD, ED, or the special needs programs.

So yes if she saw my daughter change the batteries in the one and only HA that she is using when she was on school grounds and she has a reason to know what her IEP had on it then yes I could under stand if she said something. For her to go to the point of her calling the law or CPS is slightly going above and beyond for the fact that she changed the batteries for her HA.

The point is she talked to someone that worked for CPS. She did not call CPS and make a report. I could see her talking to someone to ask what they thought about a situation. But at the point she put a name to the situation is where she broke our privacy. If the CPS person she was talking to thought action needed to be taken then she should have informed her to call 911 or call CPS to make a report. According to CPS there was never a report made. But for some reason there was a home visit made. We were also told CPS that we were not in there system.

If you want to get picky yes they do have a reason to come out and visit us for the day I took 3 of my kids to school and the 2 of them did not have ONE HA on them when we were talking to the principal. But this happened after CPS showed up. Yes I am guilty of forcing my kids to not go to school that day when they could have gone.

In order for the CPS worker to have come to you, a complaint had to be filed. All it takes to file a complaint is to to "talk" to a CPS worker.

I'm not saying that the CPS worker acted ethically in her approach. I'm just saying that all involved acted in accordance with the law. Therefore, your solution lies in calling a new IEP meeting and having the IEP changed.

“In order for the CPS worker to have come to you, a complaint had to be filed.”

I was told by a supervisor at CPS that there must be a record made by the person that is concerned at the CPS office before a visit can be made. There was no report made to a CPS office. If a social worker sees something walking down the street they must report it to the office before they can intervene; this can be done as simplify as a phone call. I’m sure there have been times that someone is beating a child in the view of the public and for them to take the 90 seconds to make a report is ridicules.

Lets skip all the shit and talk about the facts.

There was no report was made into the CPS system. It was made straight to worker that step out of line and made it her responsibility to come to my house with out the proper paper work being done at the office. I was not in there system until after I had made a phone call. They came to my house before I was in there system so this could not of been a follow up.

The teacher admitted to talking to the social worker and giving out our info. All this could have been over heard witch turns it in to slander and depending on who heard it could possible lead to child endangerment.

I would under stand that if a report had been made to CPS and then someone came to my house and told me that my child was at school with out her HA.

But for a social worker to show up at my door and tell me that my child should have her HA on when under my roof is invasion of privacy unless there is concern of the child’s danger. At this point she should of also told me I need hearing dogs for my kids for when there in the shower and when sleeping because at this time no HA is being worn.

What point dose someone have the right to tell me that both of my deaf children HAVE to get CI’s in both ears when they do not even properly qualify for them in both ears?

The IEP says ONE HA at all times and be turned on. I’m looking at the paper right now. But you are right I should change it to where it says NO HA is to be warn and they both get interps witch would hurt them more in the long run because they would not get the verbalization skills that they will need in the real world.

“In order for the CPS worker to have come to you, a complaint had to be filed.”

I was told by a supervisor at CPS that there must be a record made by the person that is concerned at the CPS office before a visit can be made. There was no report made to a CPS office. If a social worker sees something walking down the street they must report it to the office before they can intervene; this can be done as simplify as a phone call. I’m sure there have been times that someone is beating a child in the view of the public and for them to take the 90 seconds to make a report is ridicules.

Well, actually, if a social worker sees something going on as she/he is walking down the street, their licensure demands that they intervene. But this is not a licensed social worker we are talking about. It is an unlicensed employee of CPS. If a licensed social worker sees someone beating a child, and does not call 911 immediately, she/he is subject to having their license revoked. That license is independent of any institution by which they are employed.

Lets skip all the shit and talk about the facts.

There was no report was made into the CPS system. It was made straight to worker that step out of line and made it her responsibility to come to my house with out the proper paper work being done at the office. I was not in there system until after I had made a phone call. They came to my house before I was in there system so this could not of been a follow up.

Then that is an issue for CPS to deal with. I don't know about your state, but in my state, and all others that I am aware of, phone calls to CPS are all logged. If this employee misrepresented herself as acting in an official capacity, then it is an internal matter with CPS.
The teacher admitted to talking to the social worker and giving out our info. All this could have been over heard witch turns it in to slander and depending on who heard it could possible lead to child endangerment.

No, slander does not come into play. The best you could come up with is a breach of confidentiality, but, as a mandated reporter, the teacher is protected for her action.

I would under stand that if a report had been made to CPS and then someone came to my house and told me that my child was at school with out her HA.

But for a social worker to show up at my door and tell me that my child should have her HA on when under my roof is invasion of privacy unless there is concern of the child’s danger. At this point she should of also told me I need hearing dogs for my kids for when there in the shower and when sleeping because at this time no HA is being worn.

What point dose someone have the right to tell me that both of my deaf children HAVE to get CI’s in both ears when they do not even properly qualify for them in both ears?

No one has the right to do that. I never suggested that they did. But you are going to have a hard time proving that is what happened. Especially since you claim there is no documentation at CPS of the visit.

The IEP says ONE HA at all times and be turned on. I’m looking at the paper right now. But you are right I should change it to where it says NO HA is to be warn and they both get interps witch would hurt them more in the long run because they would not get the verbalization skills that they will need in the real world.

You have two options. Either abide by the IEP as written, or have it changed.

I just called CPS and asked the person that answered the phone if all there calls were logged by a computer system and he told me they were. I asked about them being recorded and he told me they were. If someone did call then it should have been found by now.

If a CPS employee to take away the rights of my family when no one was in danger and there polices were not followed for the actions that they made do you think I should sit on my ass and let them do it to other people or stand up for my rights?

wikipedia
“In law, defamation (also called calumny, libel, slander, and vilification) is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image. Slander refers to a malicious, false and defamatory spoken statement or report, while libel refers to any other form of communication such as written words or images. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism. Related to defamation is public disclosure of private facts, which arises where one person reveals information that is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person. Or an untruthful oath.[1] "Unlike [with] libel, truth is not a defense for invasion of privacy."[2]
False light laws are "intended primarily to protect the plaintiff's mental or emotional well-being."[3] If a publication of information is false, then a tort of defamation might have occurred. If that communication is not technically false but is still misleading, then a tort of false light might have occurred.[3]”
If she reviled any information on my IEP or said that she changed her batteries then it slander.

There is a report that she came to my house. It states that both of my deaf kids must wear BOTH hearing aids at all times and I have to get CI’s put in all 4 ears.

We do abide to the IEP. Yes it dose get pulled off her head when the batteries are low to change the batteries. So I will tell her to let it die and just sit there. That way she follows the rules that were set up by keeping one HA on her head when at school and keeping it turned on. If the switch is on and the batteries are dead oh well. It will only happen a few times a year so it should not be a big deal. But yes I will go to the school and change the IEP to say that they can change there battery as needed to ensure the HA works.

Back