Social worker is after me…

I find this whole thing pretty odd. A social worker is one of the most overworked people. For them to make the time to talk with the parents due to hearing aids issue is very strange. Hearing aids according to insurance companies are consider cosmetic feature, Why would a case worker or someone whom alerted to social services is making it a necessary feature if the insurance companies don't.

Before you say what does insurance have to do with it ? Just think about the big picture - HA is a big expense. It shouldn't be a burden to the parent nor the child. Why should the HA be a burden to the child/parents if social services will not cover from A to Z associated with HA costs/operation.

There must be SOMETHING dangerous to the child that happened not to wear the hearing aids in order for social services to step in. Keep in mind, they need to refute the fact having a HA on at the time something happened "would have been prevented from harming the child" !

Now - having said this, for social services to give the child a pack of batteries is only small drop of water in the bucket for cost of having HA's. CI will not be even better.

I only can hope you can keep us posted on what happened, the outcome of this. I for one will find this case interesting. I will be pulling for you and hope you will be able to get something done without anymore interference.

I have a friend who happen to be like that due they are all Deaf family... So the Social Worker did show up and asking that kind of question. What they did... "come in... let me show you ..." (kid name), do you want wear it? (give hearing aid to kid) and kid will show action to social worker throw and stomp... told social worker, great.. i spend money for your visit...

I am very :shock:!!! Glad you contacted with your lawyer!

Unbelieved :ugh:

Gee - This is really absurd for a social worker to step in and to make a decision to say a child should be wearing the HA and/or CI.

I have to wonder, Does that social worker have too much time on his/her hands to be rifting this up?

I just find this unusual because most of time time, When someone is specializing in the social worker's field - They are also required to brush up their knowledge on various disabilities among other situations. I also find this ironic because you'd think a social worker would have known about the ADA (American Disabilities Act) and the amendments that comes along with it. (I guess in this case, this social worker didn't have a clue about it?)

Either way, I hope you'll (to the OP) able to get this sorted out because this is really something imperative to be pressed on. Everyone else on this thread has basically covered up all these advices.

I'm appalled by your experience and I hope it doesn't come down to needing legal representation. The social worker certainly seems to be under the impression that being deaf is a terrible affliction and your kids need "saving" from deafness. Sometimes the road to hell really is paved with good intentions. :roll:

We did have part of the meeting. The interpreter was only told that she was needed for 30 minutes and had to go after 45 minutes. There will be a meeting set up in the big city some time next week to continue what was started. We left after the interrupter left but the lawyer stayed.

The social worker that came to our house was still under probation and is going to be fired for this (so they say). We were told that she did not check in with her supervisor before she came out to our house. They are still investigating who called this in because most of the paperwork is missing. I think it has something to do with a teacher at school that has a 6 year old that is HOH and can not afford HA’s for the kid.

Zerodog I don’t think you need to worry too much about having money for a lawyer. The lawyer that were using told us there would not be a charge unless it goes to court and we win something but I hope it dose not go this far.

thanks for the update. keep us posted of the outcome as you confirmed part of our disbeliefs that we found the whole thing strange to begin with.

just wow..... it sounds like some kind of "personal favor" for school faculty. this whole thing sounds fishy... sounds like social worker didn't expect to get shitfaced by this... :mad2:

good work, cattlefarmer! :applause:

:ugh2:

Violation breach alert!!!

that's right.... my dog's Domestic Dissent nose is acting up!
dogrunsmilie.gif

Social workers can be an ass**** to people, but they need to have better understanding in its culture.

I don’t think it was the school board. I think it was a teacher that is a friend of a new social worker but were not sure.

I don’t think it was the school board. I think it was a teacher that is a friend of a new social worker but were not sure.

yea that's why I said school faculty. Sounds like you're gonna win this case! :cool2:

I don’t see why it would matter to someone as long as my kids were health, made good grades, had a good stable home, loving parents, and were able to commutate in a vocal world. I don’t want to say that my kids get everything they want but they do get every thing they need plus most of what they want.

The social worker that came to our house was still under probation and is going to be fired for this (so they say). We were told that she did not check in with her supervisor before she came out to our house. They are still investigating who called this in because most of the paperwork is missing. I think it has something to do with a teacher at school that has a 6 year old that is HOH and can not afford HA’s for the kid.
GOOD! Hey have your kids befriended the six year old with has? Maybe it has something to do with resentment like " these kids have hearing aids that they don't use and my kid needs a ha but we can't afford it" sort of thing.

I had social services show up at my farm on Friday. She was there to talk to me about my 9 year old. We think it was a teacher that called them. She dose not like to wear her HA’s at all but will use her right one for school and sometimes when we go out. She caries one HA with her when she walks out of the house in case she needs it.

The social worker thinks we should wear our HA’s all day. She asked why we did not get CI for her yet. She wants us to get CI’s on both sides of her by July. I put in my HA because I had a phone call and took it right back out it sent her over the edge. She found out I had a second kid that had HA’s and saw her with out them and all most had a heart attack.

I could tell she knows nothing about deaf people and the technology there is for us. She did not even talk to our doctors to find out anything about our conditions. I really want to go to town and talk to her supervisor but I know I would say something and make it worse. She did make a few threats if we do not meet a few of her requests.

Both of my kids are pissed because I sent them to school with both of there HA’s in even though they both gave me a set of batteries.

What would you do?
Is being deaf that bad that I need to push my kids to wear both of there HA’s all day?
Both of my deaf kids can get CI’s but should I push them to get them if they do not want the surgery and they can live a normal life with just wearing HA’s?

oh boy that brings some memory back.. I had similar happened to me, one day I took my young son to the audiologist, that time he wasn't walking just yet, he was very slow at that, he was about 2 years old, and the audiologist asked me why he wasn't walking, I just explained that he was just being slow in development... then she asked me why he wasn't wearing hearing aids and i explained again that he hates wearing them... so I didn't make him wear them... then she told me about CI, and I told her No I decided not to encourage him to have one and that stupid b**tch got pissed off at me! and then 3 days later, I got called by Child protection service because my son wasn't walking and wasnt wearing hearing aids! they came and checkd him out and saw nothing wrong with him and never bothered us again.. that was little over 2 years ago..

I think it is nothing wrong with your kids not wanting to wear hearing aids, that is normal.. don't let them get to you.

This is unbelieveable... the first I've heard of such thing as social worker to show up just because of HA or CI. Sounds like there is corruptions with that teacher and the social worker... I hope he/she will get fired and they will not bother with you again.

Keep us update on how things go and good luck :)

After reading this and I can understand how you feel when the social worker showed up at your house unexpected at that time. It happened to me but in a different situation but my case have been closed for almost a year. I know that feeling when the social worker tell you this and that and knowing nothing about deaf culture so it is time for them to get into the workshop about deaf culture .

I am glad thing are looking up for you at this time.

Back