Social worker is after me…

cattlefarmer

Reaction score
I had social services show up at my farm on Friday. She was there to talk to me about my 9 year old. We think it was a teacher that called them. She dose not like to wear her HA’s at all but will use her right one for school and sometimes when we go out. She caries one HA with her when she walks out of the house in case she needs it.

The social worker thinks we should wear our HA’s all day. She asked why we did not get CI for her yet. She wants us to get CI’s on both sides of her by July. I put in my HA because I had a phone call and took it right back out it sent her over the edge. She found out I had a second kid that had HA’s and saw her with out them and all most had a heart attack.

I could tell she knows nothing about deaf people and the technology there is for us. She did not even talk to our doctors to find out anything about our conditions. I really want to go to town and talk to her supervisor but I know I would say something and make it worse. She did make a few threats if we do not meet a few of her requests.

Both of my kids are pissed because I sent them to school with both of there HA’s in even though they both gave me a set of batteries.

What would you do?
Is being deaf that bad that I need to push my kids to wear both of there HA’s all day?
Both of my deaf kids can get CI’s but should I push them to get them if they do not want the surgery and they can live a normal life with just wearing HA’s?

oh crap

a hearie wanted us to be a hearies wannabe sheesh
not very supportive person RMEE.

you don't have to push your kids to wear HA's let your kids have decision i don't wear HA's but sometimes

Seriously, Social Services came for "HA or CI" issue why your kids dont wear them either HA or CI? that is SO new to me. :shock:

I am not the right person to give the opinions to tell you what to do with your kids about CI or HA.

I dont have CI and i soemtime wear my HA. My life has a pretty normal life with or without HA. :shrug:

i am sure someone else will give you the better answers. I replied is becasue i am VERY SHOCKED with SOCAIL SERVICES SHOWED UP because of the HA and/or CI, NOT abuse children or enviroment home at all.

I am very appalled when I read your story about a social worker showed up at your place. She made some threats to you. It is so wrong. Your children have rights not to wear hearing aids. If you feel so harassed, maybe you should talk to her supervisor about it. Or get a lawyer if they still threat you. I know it may be tough for you.

Obviously, a social worker knows nothing about Deaf culture and your children's conditions. I am sorry about it happened to you and your kids.

:eek3:

I had social services show up at my farm on Friday. She was there to talk to me about my 9 year old. We think it was a teacher that called them. She dose not like to wear her HA’s at all but will use her right one for school and sometimes when we go out. She caries one HA with her when she walks out of the house in case she needs it.

The social worker thinks we should wear our HA’s all day. She asked why we did not get CI for her yet. She wants us to get CI’s on both sides of her by July. I put in my HA because I had a phone call and took it right back out it sent her over the edge. She found out I had a second kid that had HA’s and saw her with out them and all most had a heart attack.

I could tell she knows nothing about deaf people and the technology there is for us. She did not even talk to our doctors to find out anything about our conditions. I really want to go to town and talk to her supervisor but I know I would say something and make it worse. She did make a few threats if we do not meet a few of her requests.

Both of my kids are pissed because I sent them to school with both of there HA’s in even though they both gave me a set of batteries.

What would you do?
Is being deaf that bad that I need to push my kids to wear both of there HA’s all day?
Both of my deaf kids can get CI’s but should I push them to get them if they do not want the surgery and they can live a normal life with just wearing HA’s?

You don't need to push your kids to wear both of HA's all day. Their choices, not a social worker's choice. She is wrong. Just let your kids to tell social worker that they don't want CI.

You can contact NAD at NAD, National Association of the Deaf, home page, home, deaf - National Association of the Deaf and make some noises. I pray that social worker to get fired for making threats to you and your kids.

There is no law that said people MUST wear CIs/ HAs,you need to get a lawyer ASAP. The worker is in the wrong and you should file a complaint against the worker.

Oh my gosh, social worker push you to having your children wear hearing aid or cochlear implant. Unbelievable !! That case will be close at the court, I am positive, you will win the case with an good attorney. :)

I got a letter from DSS when my two sons were little because they can't speak well at two years old. Babysitter filed 52A as neglect because parents are Deaf, not able to speak well. The judge closed the case and make social worker take ASL class. I won the case !

Oh boy, most of social workers are idiot and know nothing about Deaf culture and language.

Stay strong and fight for your right !

Oh my gosh, social worker push you to having your children wear hearing aid or cochlear implant. Unbelievable !! That case will be close at the court, I am positive, you will win the case with an good attorney. :)

I got a letter from DSS when my two sons were little because they can't speak well at two years old. Babysitter filed 52A as neglect because parents are Deaf, not able to speak well. The judge closed the case and make social worker take ASL class. I won the case !

Oh boy, most of social workers are idiot and know nothing about Deaf culture and language.

Stay strong and fight for your right !

oh my god!! what is wrong with social workers that they did not even take any workshops about deaf cultures. :roll:

Fight for yours and your children's rights!! Do it asap.

I know this thread may be overwhelming for you. Don't give up!!

I called her supervisor and have set up a time to talk about what happened. I did tell him I will need an interrupter because my wife and I would rather sign then be vocal. I did give him a few numbers to local interrupters that are deaf (this would send them over the edge) because he did not know anyone to call.

She wants my kids to get CI’s. They are both fine with HA’s but have offered both of them CI’s but don’t want the surgeries. I have printed up some info to take with me if needed. My lawyer (for my farm business) is going to call me back with someone in the city close by that deals with handicapped discrimination cases.

Were not going to give up and I don’t take what she told us as threats more like jokes. I’m thinking about pulling all my kids out of school and take them with me to this meeting.

I never heard of this kind of situation that your children must wear HA all day. Obviously, social worker has no knowledge about deaf culture. I really can't make assumptions, perhaps the deaf children must wear HA allday at school? Have you checked with teachers or in a student handbook that requires HA allday? This sounds pretty odd to me. I hope you get to win this case:)

I'm appalled... this is illegal in every way. i highly suggest you to hire the lawyer. what the school and social worker did is, I believe, ILLEGAL

What would you do?
OUTRAGEOUS!

Hang in there, and stay strong.

So wrong of the social service to imply that your kids must wear hearing aids all the time. Doesn't your girls have interpreters at school. That is the ADA requirement. Not hearing aids and CIs.

Let us know how this plays out.

Wishing for the best.

I am sorry to hear about this. It is very wrong what your social worker did. I wish you the best of luck in resisting her as this is NOT RIGHT.

We make them wear one hearing aid at school, carry at least one set of batteries, and to keep it turned on. I can not enforce a rule on how loud there HA is when there at school. All my kids are on A and B students.

There are a few simple things that we asked form the school. They are allowed to have one dose of brand X Advil a day at school if needed with out calling a parent. They can opt out of watching a movie and do report instead at there choice. If important notes are given orally they must get a copy of them by the end of that day form the teacher. They have the option to go to a different room when taking a test at there choice. They do not need or want interpreters.

I do have a lawyer that is coming to this meeting. He about flipped out when he heard what the social worker told me. When I faxed over the report she left me and for some reason I could still hear him after turning off my HA. This was the first time I have been able to talk on the phone without a HA.

I find this whole thing pretty odd. A social worker is one of the most overworked people. For them to make the time to talk with the parents due to hearing aids issue is very strange. Hearing aids according to insurance companies are consider cosmetic feature, Why would a case worker or someone whom alerted to social services is making it a necessary feature if the insurance companies don't.

Before you say what does insurance have to do with it ? Just think about the big picture - HA is a big expense. It shouldn't be a burden to the parent nor the child. Why should the HA be a burden to the child/parents if social services will not cover from A to Z associated with HA costs/operation.

There must be SOMETHING dangerous to the child that happened not to wear the hearing aids in order for social services to step in. Keep in mind, they need to refute the fact having a HA on at the time something happened "would have been prevented from harming the child" !

Now - having said this, for social services to give the child a pack of batteries is only small drop of water in the bucket for cost of having HA's. CI will not be even better.

I only can hope you can keep us posted on what happened, the outcome of this. I for one will find this case interesting. I will be pulling for you and hope you will be able to get something done without anymore interference.

I am very appalled when I read your story about a social worker showed up at your place. She made some threats to you. It is so wrong. Your children have rights not to wear hearing aids. If you feel so harassed, maybe you should talk to her supervisor about it. Or get a lawyer if they still threat you. I know it may be tough for you.

Obviously, a social worker knows nothing about Deaf culture and your children's conditions. I am sorry about it happened to you and your kids.

:eek3:

Now this make me thinking about pre-paid legal or lawyer to pervent that problem... due... doctor say that our baby will more likely to be DEAF. Funny, the doctor asked, "is that okay if your child being Deaf again?" I was like..gee.. we can providing kid better this moment because I AM DEAF AND BEING THERE AND BEING LEFT SPOT WITH NOT ENOUGH EDUCATION AND NOT GOING HAPPEN TO MY KID!

Anyway (ahem).... that part is.... scary me because where I live that they believe and strong is oralism...

suggest some feedback for us?

Back