Oralists gone wild...............

That is horrible. If I ever see that I will certainly call them out.

That was basically what I got from the pro oralists all of my life. Like I said, I feel nothing about this school shutting down. I know those teachers can find jobs elsewhere. They support the philosophy that the majority of society supports. It is the children who get hurt from this... nothing new.

I don't believe this at all and I think that is a hateful thing to say. There is absolutely no reason at all to believe these teachers don't love and care about those kids just as much as the teachers in a deaf school. No reason at all. They just have a different philosophy. Not better. Not worse. Just different.

Oh trust me.....it happens. The teachers are DEVOTED to the oralist philosophy.....

Oh trust me.....it happens. The teachers are DEVOTED to the oralist philosophy.....

That doesn't make them bad people that.....

don't really give a crap about deaf children. They just want to feel like they're "restoring an outcast to society"

As I said, they just have a different philosophy than you. I would bet they care just as much.

That was basically what I got from the pro oralists all of my life. Like I said, I feel nothing about this school shutting down. I know those teachers can find jobs elsewhere. They support the philosophy that the majority of society supports. It is the children who get hurt from this... nothing new.

It might be hard for those teachers to find jobs. The economy isn't exactly doing well plus there are only 3 months left in the school year. I hope they do. I was looking at pictures of those kids. They looked pretty happy to me and judging from the parents comments this will be a big loss for them. I think everyone loses here.

It might be hard for those teachers to find jobs. The economy isn't exactly doing well plus there are only 3 months left in the school year. I hope they do. I was looking at pictures of those kids. They looked pretty happy to me and judging from the parents comments this will be a big loss for them. I think everyone loses here.

Happy? Sure, those school for HoH children - up to 12 years old and they don't start realize about negative on school until they become high school student.

I found out about ASL is less common on HoH students than deaf students because HoH students are well benefited from HA and FM so could start language development at very earlier age as toddler. HoH students have different characteristic than deaf students.

Of course, they wont show pictures of unhappy children. It is all about marketing.

Happy? Sure, those school for HoH children - up to 12 years old and they don't start realize about negative on school until they become high school student.

I found out about ASL is less common on HoH students than deaf students because HoH students are well benefited from HA and FM so could start language development at very earlier age as toddler. HoH students have different characteristic than deaf students.

Foxrac, yes you're right that the schools for oral deaf kids don't recognize that middle and high school are extremely tough....and they expect those kids to experience inclusion?!?!?!?!
You're wrong that HOH kids have a different experaince. The ONLY thing that differenates hoh kids from deaf kids, is that hoh kids have a bit more access to sound. They STILL experience ALL the downsides and stuff that deaf kids do. The ONLY reason why HOH kids aren't exposed to ASL and Deaf culture and Deaf ed, is b/c of audist "experts" who think that HOH kids don't "need" ASL and stuff like that. But if that were true, then we wouldn't get a plethora of hoh as kids adults here saying they wish they'd learned ASL and gone to dhh classes and been exposed to Deaf culture.

Yes, many hoh kids can aquire spoken language easier ......but a lot of them still have spoken language issues that are so significant they still need spoken language therapy (not just articulation and boring mechanical stuff like pitch, volumne etc)

That doesn't make them bad people that.....

As I said, they just have a different philosophy than you. I would bet they care just as much.

Not nessarily bad people, but they are following a really bad philosophy. Seriously, they do not realize the downsides of their philosophy b/c they've got the Warm and Fuzzies about how WELL the kids are doing orally. They don't see the kids being made fun of, they don't see the kids being ostracized, they don't see the kids who are 28 and have very superficial social connections in the hearing world, ( I cannot tell you all the random deaf guys who used to message me on AIM who were desperate for a girlfriend) they don't see the kids who don't feel like they fit in.....they don't see a lot of the very real downsides, that REALLY severely negatively affects REAL kids that oral only brings.
Yes, it sucks that a school was closed. I've brought up that sure Clarke/St. Joseph's/ CID/Tucker Maxon/Sunshine Cottage/Moog/DePaul/Oralinga are oral, but at least the kids there were schooled with other kids like them. They have a connection there. I mean I know people who were alumn of say Mystic Oral School (a school for the Deaf) who were cheering the closure....yes, they feel a connection to the Deaf School, but HATED their methods.....and you'll hear that a lot with alumn of oral schools....they feel very close (especially if they lived in the dorms or attended for a very long time) but hate the methodology.

and Txgolfer, they do not want to acknowledge the downsides of oral only. One of my friends was active in AG Bell, and spoke on a teen panel about the realities and downsides of oral only. They asked her never to speak at an AG Bell conference again.

Not nessarily bad people, but they are following a really bad philosophy. Seriously, they do not realize the downsides of their philosophy b/c they've got the Warm and Fuzzies about how WELL the kids are doing orally. They don't see the kids being made fun of, they don't see the kids being ostracized, they don't see the kids who are 28 and have very superficial social connections in the hearing world, ( I cannot tell you all the random deaf guys who used to message me on AIM who were desperate for a girlfriend) they don't see the kids who don't feel like they fit in.....they don't see a lot of the very real downsides, that REALLY severely negatively affects REAL kids that oral only brings.
Yes, it sucks that a school was closed. I've brought up that sure Clarke/St. Joseph's/ CID/Tucker Maxon/Sunshine Cottage/Moog/DePaul/Oralinga are oral, but at least the kids there were schooled with other kids like them. They have a connection there. I mean I know people who were alumn of say Mystic Oral School (a school for the Deaf) who were cheering the closure....yes, they feel a connection to the Deaf School, but HATED their methods.....and you'll hear that a lot with alumn of oral schools....they feel very close (especially if they lived in the dorms or attended for a very long time) but hate the methodology.

Again, everyone here is aware that you disagree with their philosophy. I am sure they disagree with yours as well and believe you cannot see the downsides of your philosophy. Can we please end all of the negativity and bias. It is unfair to others.

and Txgolfer, they do not want to acknowledge the downsides of oral only. One of my friends was active in AG Bell, and spoke on a teen panel about the realities and downsides of oral only. They asked her never to speak at an AG Bell conference again.

Understood. They have a different philosophy.

Foxrac, yes you're right that the schools for oral deaf kids don't recognize that middle and high school are extremely tough....and they expect those kids to experience inclusion?!?!?!?!
You're wrong that HOH kids have a different experaince. The ONLY thing that differenates hoh kids from deaf kids, is that hoh kids have a bit more access to sound. They STILL experience ALL the downsides and stuff that deaf kids do. The ONLY reason why HOH kids aren't exposed to ASL and Deaf culture and Deaf ed, is b/c of audist "experts" who think that HOH kids don't "need" ASL and stuff like that. But if that were true, then we wouldn't get a plethora of hoh as kids adults here saying they wish they'd learned ASL and gone to dhh classes and been exposed to Deaf culture.

There are many HoH that I met use mostly or some form of oral language, but that's very less common for full deaf without CI.

Back