Oralists gone wild...............

and lack of support.

That is a big factor. Many schools are suffering from lack of support in this economy. Many non profits too. A sponsor for one of my fundraisers who is usually good for $1,000 was only able to donate $40 this year.

That is a big factor. Many schools are suffering from lack of support in this economy. Many non profits too. A sponsor for one of my fundraisers who is usually good for $1,000 was only able to donate $40 this year.

in this case - lack of support is mostly due to a failed philosophy.

not surprising.

we did.

If you have any proof that the school's finances failed due specifically to the fact that people disagreed with the school's philosophy I would love to see it. That would be interesting.

If you have any proof that the school's finances failed due specifically to the fact that people disagreed with the school's philosophy I would love to see it. That would be interesting.

*shrug*

again - sorry that you don't see it.

There are many HoH that I met use mostly or some form of oral language, but that's very less common for full deaf without CI.

Yes I know....and that is super sad.......there are some voice off Deaf but they're in the minority... or are you saying that Deaf with HAs are more likely to be fluent in ASL?

There are many HoH that I met use mostly or some form of oral language, but that's very less common for full deaf without CI.

Yes I know....and that is super sad.......there are some voice off Deaf but they're in the minority... or are you saying that Deaf with HAs are more likely to be fluent in ASL?

:confused:

No...

He said lots of hard of hearing people are mostly oral.

Full deaf people who do not have CI are much less commonly using speech.

I have net several deaf people who have been mainstreamed and enjoyed it....or at least were glad they went.

Perhaps times have changed since "back then." Technology has certainly changed.

No. Not true at all.

What you and other "go oralism"/mainstreamers don't understand is that the ONLY difference between today's technology and yesterday's technology is that more audilogically deaf kids are functionally HOH with CIs....HOH kids STILL face a lot of the exact same downsides and issues that deafer kids deal with.

What you and other "go oralism"/mainstreamers don't understand is that the ONLY difference between today's technology and yesterday's technology is that more audilogically deaf kids are functionally HOH with CIs....HOH kids STILL face a lot of the exact same downsides and issues that deafer kids deal with.

What you don't understand, is that I am neutral on the issue. :)

I do understand your position. You state it often. The other side, a side that also cares about deaf children, disagrees with you. They believe their way is better.

I do understand your position. You state it often. The other side, a side that also cares about deaf children, disagrees with you.

neutral? you seem to be defending the "other side" quite vigorously...

tumblr_lvi44au9t11qjjfboo1_500.gif

There have been a lot of your posts in this thread for expressing your neutrality. Not sure I understand the need to make so many "neutral" posts, but it is your choice.

I think it is sad all the way around that schools close. I don't care what the curriculum is. Students suffer.

There have been a lot of your posts in this thread for expressing your neutrality. Not sure I understand the need to make so many "neutral" posts, but it is your choice.

I think it is sad all the way around that schools close. I don't care what the curriculum is. Students suffer.

Good point, let me clarify. I am neutral on the teaching methods. I believe it is best left to the parent. But, I am not neutral to the bashing and bullying on the subject. My justification on that (right or wrong) is that this site is for everyone deaf or with an interest in deafness. I find it unseemly for one deaf perspective to bash another deaf perspective. And, like I told Shel, my feelings like that go both directions. If people came on the site bashing the methods of deaf schools, I would be defending the deaf schools.

The school in question here had serious financial problems. Someone needs to answer for that. The deaf school in West Virginia has a financial situation looming too. We need oversight on that so that the school doesn't meet this same fate. That is how I see it anyway.

I guess my thing is, I don't like deaf people judging how other deaf people deal with their deafness.

Back