Oralists gone wild...............

Good point, let me clarify. I am neutral on the teaching methods. I believe it is best left to the parent. But, I am not neutral to the bashing and bullying on the subject. My justification on that (right or wrong) is that this site is for everyone deaf or with an interest in deafness. I find it unseemly for one deaf perspective to bash another deaf perspective. And, like I told Shel, my feelings like that go both directions. If people came on the site bashing the methods of deaf schools, I would be defending the deaf schools.

The school in question here had serious financial problems. Someone needs to answer for that. The deaf school in West Virginia has a financial situation looming too. We need oversight on that so that the school doesn't meet this same fate. That is how I see it anyway.

I guess my thing is, I don't like deaf people judging how other deaf people deal with their deafness.
I've never felt that spending on education was a bad investment. My feelings on giving money to schools differs. Seems that, no matter how large the bond is, when it gets approved, they are back with a new bond within 2 years. There is no accountability.

The first thing the school districts did in my area was cut bus service. That gets some parents involved, because they need to find a way to get their child home. When the bonds come up for a vote, those parents are leaning heavily to the "yes" side, due to their personal interest.

Eventually, the bond is passed. That is when you get to see them invest in intramural sports, new uniforms for football, etc. Way down the list is actual education tools. Sports are the way to get fame, and that seems to be the goal of the district.

I should also mention that the "yes" and "no" voters often had their support signs removed from their yards; sometimes replaced by the opposing sign. It gets ugly there. Glad I moved.

I've never felt that spending on education was a bad investment. My feelings on giving money to schools differs. Seems that, no matter how large the bond is, when it gets approved, they are back with a new bond within 2 years. There is no accountability.

The first thing the school districts did in my area was cut bus service. That gets some parents involved, because they need to find a way to get their child home. When the bonds come up for a vote, those parents are leaning heavily to the "yes" side, due to their personal interest.

Eventually, the bond is passed. That is when you get to see them invest in intramural sports, new uniforms for football, etc. Way down the list is actual education tools. Sports are the way to get fame, and that seems to be the goal of the district.

I should also mention that the "yes" and "no" voters often had their support signs removed from their yards; sometimes replaced by the opposing sign. It gets ugly there. Glad I moved.

No, I agree. I am ok with paying for schools. I think a vouchers system would work better and help hold schools accountable. I would prefer schools not be under the U.S. DOEd though. Like with the WV I have no problem with that school being publicly funded as long as they are successfully educating children. I do think they need to look at more cost effective structures. Same with Gallaudet. I have no problem with funding GU as long as they are meeting standards. I believe the school and staff needs to be held accountable for what they teachand what programs they offer as well.

Once again in this thread I am seeing some appear to believe that every HOH person has the same sever degree of loss. At least there have been a few posts in this one that seem to recognize how people differ. Please can everybody wake up to the fact that the amount of hearing loss can very greatly! And thus what works for education and life in general will too.
HOH kids STILL miss out on a lot of information. Yes, it's not as bad as say 35 years ago when Clarke kids could only hear 30% with their body worn hearing aids. But HOH kids STILL miss out on a lot of spoken language information, and hearing world experiances.
Even a lot of oral successes say they don't feel like they fit into the hearing world.....heck, we have a former poster who has professionally worked with kids who have appeared to do well orally.....the things she has heard basicly indicate that nothing much has changed. HOH kids are STILL dealing with the major downsides of oral only.

:confused:

No...

He said lots of hard of hearing people are mostly oral.

Full deaf people who do not have CI are much less commonly using speech.

Well obviously, since most full deaf unaided/unimplanted as kids people generally wouldn't have gotten speech training.

It seems like so many new posters always come in here complaining how they don't feel a part of the Deaf world but don't feel like they are part of the hearing world. Why do these oralists continue to deny them the right to access to ASL and the Deaf community? When is it gonna stop?

"Let's "fix" these poor deaf children so they can be normal like their hearing could counterparts." Ever thought maybe deaf/hoh children would feel more normal by having both? Hmm?

I don't get these people who support this philisophy.

Good point, let me clarify. I am neutral on the teaching methods. I believe it is best left to the parent. But, I am not neutral to the bashing and bullying on the subject. My justification on that (right or wrong) is that this site is for everyone deaf or with an interest in deafness. I find it unseemly for one deaf perspective to bash another deaf perspective. And, like I told Shel, my feelings like that go both directions. If people came on the site bashing the methods of deaf schools, I would be defending the deaf schools.

The school in question here had serious financial problems. Someone needs to answer for that. The deaf school in West Virginia has a financial situation looming too. We need oversight on that so that the school doesn't meet this same fate. That is how I see it anyway.

I guess my thing is, I don't like deaf people judging how other deaf people deal with their deafness.

This isn't other deaf people dealing with their deafness. This isn't a deaf perspective.........it's hearing parents trying to make their dhh kids as "hearing as possible" Most Signing schools DO offer spoken language therapies ......

It seems like so many new posters always come in here complaining how they don't feel a part of the Deaf world but don't feel like they are part of the hearing world. Why do these oralists continue to deny them the right to access to ASL and the Deaf community? When is it gonna stop?

"Let's "fix" these poor deaf children so they can be normal like their hearing could counterparts." Ever thought maybe deaf/hoh children would feel more normal by having both? Hmm?

I don't get these people who support this philisophy.

and that's including HOH kids.....we're not talking about kids who had maybe 30% access to speech with a body worn hearing aid. I think that says a hell of a lot!

This isn't other deaf people dealing with their deafness. This isn't a deaf perspective.........it's hearing parents trying to make their dhh kids as "hearing as possible" Most Signing schools DO offer spoken language therapies ......

Yes, parents making choices for their children. That is a parent's job. However, you are making a lot of assumptions. In fact, the guy I mentioned in the other thread has 2 deaf parents. My advice would be to stick to what you feel are the positives of your approach rather than tearing down others.

Yes, parents making choices for their children. That is a parent's job. However, you are making a lot of assumptions. In fact, the guy I mentioned in the other thread has 2 deaf parents. My advice would be to stick to what you feel are the positives of your approach rather than tearing down others.
Do they always make right choices for their deaf children? Hell no!

As a matter of fact, my wife was not happy with her parents' choice.

Chill out each of you all know who you all are. It isnt your worth time to agrue with someone you knew they will never change their mind. Its ok to give two sides of feedback, and its ok to share based on your experiences here and allow the parents to make decision. some parents thought their kids wont be like others, maybe they are right maybe they are wrong. No way for us to know if there is right or wrong. :dunno2:

Believe it or not, all parents make mistakes.

Chill out each of you all know who you all are. It isnt your worth time to agrue with someone you knew they will never change their mind. Its ok to give two sides of feedback, and its ok to share based on your experiences here and allow the parents to make decision. some parents thought their kids wont be like others, maybe they are right maybe they are wrong. No way for us to know if there is right or wrong. :dunno2:

Well said.

I agreed and I was not happy with my parent's choice over CI.

I am happy with my parents choice for me. :dunno2: But I am lucky to be in 1970's, not 2013 anyway.

I am happy with my parents choice for me. :dunno2: But I am lucky to be in 1970's, not 2013 anyway.

You are lucky, but I like to be younger. :)

I know some CI users abandoned the oral language and become a full time ASL users, especially at Gallaudet.

You are lucky, but I like to be younger. :)

I know some CI users abandoned the oral language and become a full time ASL users, especially at Gallaudet.

Yup. I think that a lot of oral successes will discover ASL around middle and high school, or even go to Gally/NTID and become fluent in ASL.
One of the things that concerns me about oral only is that their perception of Signing Deaf ed seems to be very out of date. Like they think that Deaf Schools are an exclusive NO ORAL TRAINING whatsoever zone. Many Deaf Schools have one on one speech therapy, and a lot of bi bi schools have voice on periods, and even spoken language classes (not a track, but classes) so dhh kids can practice speech skills. It really is QUALITY of speech therapy rather then quanlity.

Maybe the mismanagement of the funds were due to these oralists going wild on a party boat on Lake Havasu. They spent too much money on booze. :lol:

Maybe the mismanagement of the funds were due to these oralists going wild on a party boat on Lake Havasu. They spent too much money on booze. :lol:

I don't think we can rule out Peter Gabriel.

Back