"why would they use him and not just a hearing asl interpeter???"

I've never seen a CDI work off a teleprompter or lip reading. The CDI has always been part of a team with a hearing partner. I suppose nothing is impossible but I would be surprised if a teleprompter was used. Of course, that wouldn't work in a two-way communication, such as the Q&A time with the press.

"there were a ton of hearing people who said that they should just stick to hearing interpreters because they aren't "distracting"."

with comic ignorance this assumes interpreting should cater to the hearing. :crazy:

"there were a ton of hearing people who said that they should just stick to hearing interpreters because they aren't "distracting"."

with comic ignorance this assumes interpreting should cater to the hearing. :crazy:
That's one of the things I was pointing out that irked me. I think the issue is that there are many hearing people who know nothing about deaf culture and can say or assume stupid things.
For example, my first semester in college one of my teachers threw away the sheet of accommodations made by accessibility services and yelled super slow with exaggerated lips, (she wrote it down on paper after I just stared unable to make out what she was saying) "It's not my fault that you have an issue and are needy. If you can't keep up then drop out." < totally illegal and she went down to complain about having a "special needs" student in her class which of course resulted in her termination from her job.
So I'm not surprised that some hearing people are acting like they have a say on who can and can't be a certified to interpret. Not all people seem to get it that ASl interpreters aren't their to entertain or just be added as a cool decorative thing.

Stuff like that ^^^ just makes me SMH and wonder why some people just don't get it. There are a number of disabilities out there, not just deafness, and these people who don't get it are just stupider than f**k. What planet did they come from?

So kind of off topic, am I the only one who didn't know there are deaf terps? Mind blown!!
It is not really commonly used, so that doesn't surprise me. Don't feel bad about not knowing. They're more used in certain settings such as courtrooms, legal proceedings, and the like. So it would not be common for you to come across one, probably.

Last edited:
So kind of off topic, am I the only one who didn't know there are deaf terps? Mind blown!!

What AC said. The only reason I learned about them is that sometimes CDIs interpret for DeafBlind in a scenario where there is already a hearing interpreter for a lecture or similar.

Although I have known about them, up until recently, I had only seen them paired with a DeafBlind person. There is an annual Deaf Studies conference that started a few years ago in Amherst, MA. That event tries to provide equal access for everyone. They have hearing interpreters, CDI interpreters paired with DeafBlind participants, CDI terps on stage either using more pure ASL or International Sign Language because this event draws people from other countries, CART (many oral deaf/hh in attendance) , and speech.

Back