Watch for Hurrricane Sandy on East Coast

I heard in the case of New Jersey, there was a conflict between what the state governor had urged people to do <evacuate> and what the mayor of one of the seaside areas said people should do <local shelters>.
So people took the advice of the mayor and have ended up stranded.

I also wonder if many <not all> on the East coast just didn't have the same awareness or concern for the hurricane like people in South-east hurricane-prone areas do.

As well they should. Kudos to the hotel owner that said he wasn't kicking people out, with no where to go, for runners. Some people in NY have a clear understanding of priorities.

Laura

I saw one hotel owner say on TV it was a matter of helping his neighbors or having out of town people staying at the hotel and he said it was going help his neighbors . I agree Kudos to the hotel owner ! I hope all the granola bars and water that going to be given to the runners with be given to the people that really need them.

Nope. I'm trying to emphasize preparation. Days before the hurricane, I started this thread and included tips for preparation.

That's exactly why they should evacuate or go to shelters. I read that many people refused to evacuate.

That's the reason those who can prepare or must evacuate should. That leaves then all the rescue and support resources for the people who really need the help, such as the elderly and infirm. It's not right to use up the resources on people who could have taken care of themselves. That leaves less for the people who really need it.

Do you remember in during Hurricane Katrina, people the living in nursing homes where abandoned and left to dies , I am saying some people can't evacuate unless they helped out of the building . These are the people I
worried about . I know people should evacuate when they're told to , but they can't be left behind to dies . I hope the people that refused to leave have learn something and will leave if there is another storm. and one is coming next week on Tuesday night.

I haven't had class all week. My university is in Hoboken.

I also have no way to get there from where I am now.
The MTA Hudson Line is closed.
NJ transit is closed.. NJ Transit Still Shut Down, No Timeline for Service Resumption | Transportation Nation

I was surprised to see the water gushing into the PATH station in Hoboken through the elevator.
Hurricane Sandy: Live Updates - ABC News
I use that station two times a week to commute to class. I bought my first couple of tickets from the ticket box that's in that shot.

Hoboken has huge pizza. Like 36" pizzas, I think. They are so big they need two plates to serve one slice. There's only one pizza place open now. The rest of them have been closed since Monday.

I didn't go to Hoboken last Monday for class because classes were cancelled. I wouldn't have been able to make it to Hoboken anyway -- they had cancelled all the trains. The apartment where I stay during the weekday hasn't had power, water, or gas since Monday. The apartment was also apparently flooded by a couple of feet on the first floor, but I am on a higher level.

It's really weird for me to be home up north for such a long time, but I guess I am one of the lucky people. The only direct damage I'm going to have to face is a fridge full of bad food when I go back to Hoboken.

But right now my friends in Hoboken don't have power in their houses. There is public charging stations where people have to go out to plug in their phones. There's no gas because there's no power to pump it. Supermarkets are only taking cash and only sell non-perishables. It must be a really strange, wild experience to be in Hoboken right now, and I'm glad I'm not there right now, but I also feel strange because I should be.

One of the neighborhoods in NY had a sign up "FU Mayor and your marathon!" Don't blame them at all...it's like trying to hold a marathon in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Laura

One of the neighborhoods in NY had a sign up "FU Mayor and your marathon!" Don't blame them at all...it's like trying to hold a marathon in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Laura

Sandy is much less severe than Katrina, so New Orleans was flooded in very long time after broke the levee system.

Sandy is much less severe than Katrina, so New Orleans was flooded in very long time after broke the levee system.

Very true, but look at it from their perspective...they're without gas, power, food has gone bad, they can't get to their jobs...they're waiting for assistance and the mayor wants a marathon. I'd be angry too. Clearly it's not Katrina but it doesn't make what they're going through in NY and NJ any easier.

Laura

Very true, but look at it from their perspective...they're without gas, power, food has gone bad, they can't get to their jobs...they're waiting for assistance and the mayor wants a marathon. I'd be angry too. Clearly it's not Katrina but it doesn't make what they're going through in NY and NJ any easier.

Laura

Yup, I think it is good idea to cancel the marathon, so NYC needs more time to recover, prior to election day and if no electricity then switch to ballot paper.

That was not pretty weather in 1-2 weeks before election. :(

my siblings are pretty restless without power since monday. They have low gas.:(

yea nieces and nephew too!

My friend's gay neighbors hosted Hurricane Irene party during Hurricane Irene. They did host a pre Hurricane Sandy-Frankenstorm-Halloween party last friday.

Correction: pre Hurricane Irene party.

I am fine and breathing. I stay over at my friend's house because my apt has no power..still.

I was in the line for gas and it took me 10 minutes to get gas. NJ now rationalizes gas for NJ residents in 12 counties. I plan to go to Mercer county or southern NJ to get gas without getting in any long assed lines.

Gov. Christie signs order to ration gas in 12 N.J. counties | NJ.com

Drivers with the last digital of license plates will gas on even or odd days. ABC letter considered as odd days. Gas bins are not considered. Wow.

Coastal cities on Jersey Shore are badly damaged. Even Seaside Hts and Atlantic City. Hurricane Sandy missed me by 80 miles. The parts of NYC and Jersey City got flooded due to wave tides.

I am fine and breathing. I stay over at my friend's house because my apt has no power..still.

I was in the line for gas and it took me 10 minutes to get gas. NJ now rationalizes gas for NJ residents in 12 counties. I plan to go to Mercer county or southern NJ to get gas without getting in any long assed lines.

Gov. Christie signs order to ration gas in 12 N.J. counties | NJ.com

Drivers with the last digital of license plates will gas on even or odd days. ABC letter considered as odd days. Gas bins are not considered. Wow.

Coastal cities on Jersey Shore are badly damaged. Even Seaside Hts and Atlantic City. Hurricane Sandy missed me by 80 miles. The parts of NYC and Jersey City got flooded due to wave tides.

Yikes. I spoke with my sister a while ago. my niece wasn't prepared last sat so she had to wait for one and half hour on line and got a 10 gallon limit on and they cant fill th gas cans. she said that people are fist fight over this. :shock:

So you think it is ok to give up? American is not based on giving up, but rather rebuilding and move on. If you guys look at American history you will see it differently.

When marathon goes, the world sees the background, trust me they will have more respect for NYC.

Bringing bottled water is not that hard comparing to restore the rest. PLUS it is not 100% power outrage, there are power available in parts of NYC.

Wut?

oh well, Bloomberg changed his mind anyway.

Marathon canceled!

Rumor was true, I think. Bloomberg knew he was going to call it off all along, but waited last minute to get more money out of them (restaurants, hotels, souvenirs, etc).

I dont believe that for a second...it was a very tough decision fo' the mayor. Runners from all over the world trained fo' months(fer the race). I mean think about it, visitors would probably want to git da hell outta there.

Too dangerous for runners to run on the streets b/c protestors would probably throw things at them..wouldnt be enough security for 26 miles...Thats why Knicks played tonite(thank you for beatin the Heat) and Giants will play this Sunday...(enough security)

The governor of New Jersey is a fat arse...he's a belly monster..he need to hibernate. :lol:

EDIT: Several runners learned Bloomberg's decision at the airport and were upset about it. They just flew in this afternoon.

Yikes. I spoke with my sister a while ago. my niece wasn't prepared last sat so she had to wait for one and half hour on line and got a 10 gallon limit on and they cant fill th gas cans. she said that people are fist fight over this. :shock:

When Atlanta went through a gas crisis a couple of years ago, they would have a Sheriff holding a shotgun at the pumps.

Back