Watch for Hurrricane Sandy on East Coast

I dont believe that for a second...it was a very tough decision fo' the mayor. Runners from all over the world trained fo' months(fer the race). I mean think about it, visitors would probably want to git da hell outta there.

Too dangerous for runners to run on the streets b/c protestors would probably throw things at them..wouldnt be enough security for 26 miles...

Tim, I don't know if it's true that Bloomberg waited to that the runners can spend lots of money first. Lots of people were saying this rumor. I do know for sure that the runners would not have been safe. MANY people were saying they would boo them and worse, if they ran. That would have been terrible.

Sandy is much less severe than Katrina, so New Orleans was flooded in very long time after broke the levee system.

Sandy was the worst storm we had in a 100 years. It was horrible what happen in New Orleans after the storm and floods , people where dying on the streets!
FEMA did a horrible job in getting help and food to people and Bush when on TV and said Brown was going a great job! Man really can not control or stop Mother Nature she will only get her way in the end .
Plum Island spend 3 days pushing sand around on the beach to save people homes , most of the sand was washed away when Sandy hit. And we could get another storm next Tuesday night,if that storm is powerful it could wash away
the rest of the man made sand dunes . We had spend millions of dollars pushing sand around on Plum Island to try and save homes that do NOT belong on there is in first place. People should not be allowed to build any new homes when they'll only get flooded out again and put people life at risk trying to rescue them .

Tim, I don't know if it's true that Bloomberg waited to that the runners can spend lots of money first. Lots of people were saying this rumor. I do know for sure that the runners would not have been safe. MANY people were saying they would boo them and worse, if they ran. That would have been terrible.

I agree,Mims..it would be terrible. I think the rumor you're spreadin doesnt make sense..sorry! Bloomberg isnt a cruel guy,right? Oh yea, the race would have started in hard hit Staten Island. Im sure runners are on strict diet before they run a marathon.

If Bloomberg cancel the race at the very last moment, then I'd find it very disturbin and suspicious.

I agree,Mims..it would be terrible. I think the rumor you're spreadin doesnt make sense..sorry! Bloomberg isnt a cruel guy,right?

Oh no, I don't think Bloomberg is cruel at all. Maybe he's just a good business man, trying to get more money for the city before he canceled.

My university in Hoboken just announced they would resume classes Monday. I'm not sure if I should go or not. I'm worried they won't have food or that I'll get mugged.
I'm not sure if all the rumors are true though...

My university in Hoboken just announced they would resume classes Monday. I'm not sure if I should go or not. I'm worried they won't have food or that I'll get mugged.
I'm not sure if all the rumors are true though...
Usually colleges don't reopen until they are confident all is well there. What does the college website say about the facilities and services?

Are you a dorm student? If not, then bring your food with you, and try to travel with a friend.

I remember discussing (in another thread) about having a G.O.O.D. Bag ready to go at all times. (Get Out Of Dodge).

I have been "building/making" one over a course of time. Main items should be current road maps (and topo maps), first aid kit (a good one), flare gun, compass, water, clean socks, MRE's.

I also include a deer skinner knife and ammo. You never know what will happen, but it is good to be prepared if the inevitable does happen, and you don't have to go in a mad dash trying to get everything together. Having essential items all in a lightweight backpack is a good idea.

No, not really. What we learned from Katrina is that it takes less than 24 hours without electricity for people to turn on each other in mass mobs.

I'm going say whatdidyousay! as WDYS, that's short name to say.

WDYS is correct about Bush ran a lot of troubles with Katrina that made Michael Brown resigned from FEMA and the Katrina was very unprepared, so put our government in scramble to find a solution to deal with huge crisis in New Orleans.

Katrina was one of worst hurricane ever in 2000's.

So, what lessons were learned from Katrina that were implemented in the preparations for Sandy?

So, what lessons were learned from Katrina that were implemented in the preparations for Sandy?

We take hurricane as more seriously and tried to get preparation, so adopted the mandatory evacuation for people who live in coastal area and get response from FEMA more quickly. There are many people from out of state to help to restore the power and help to clean the mess.

I'm going say whatdidyousay! as WDYS, that's short name to say.

WDYS is correct about Bush ran a lot of troubles with Katrina that made Michael Brown resigned from FEMA and the Katrina was very unprepared, so put our government in scramble to find a solution to deal with huge crisis in New Orleans.

Katrina was one of worst hurricane ever in 2000's.

It wasn't Bush that delayed, it was FEMA. They acted in a governmental inept way and dragged their feet. You also remember that when help arrived, they were shot at.

People were also told to evacuate, but they refused to listen.

And, if you are wanting to pin blame on someone, blame Ray Nagin, he did not have a contingency plan.

You cannot trust Local, State or Federal Government entities to insure you of your own personal safety?

Personal safety is the responsibility of the individual.

Back