Watch for Hurrricane Sandy on East Coast

I don't understand how people are running out of gas so soon. If they filled their vehicles' gas tanks by Sunday, parked and didn't drive Monday during the storm, how is it by Wednesday everyone seems to have empty gas tanks? Where were they driving the day after the storm that they used up full tanks of gas?

I ran across one story on TV of people using gas from their cars for their generator.

I heard people complaining on Tuesday that they had run out of diapers for their babies. They knew a storm was coming but they didn't stock up? What, they buy only two-days worth of diapers at a time?

I could see it as a money issue. Then again I gave one gal cloth diapers at a baby shower with a running out by accident situation in mind. Her mother (the grandmother) mentioned that they come in handy not just if you get caught without disposables but for burping.

We did without running water and electricity for about a week after Hurricane Hugo. Other people went even longer. We had stocked up on non-perishables, filled the car gas tank, filled the propane tanks for the grill, filled every possible container with tap water, had plenty of pet food, stocked up on cleaning supplies, etc. I even had all the laundry done and house cleaned before the storm since I figured I wouldn't be able to do that after the power went out. Because we were prepared, we were able to go around after the storm helping other people who had more damage.

One benefit we had back then was that most people still had land-line phones. We never lost phone service.

The system wants more than just what I entered inbetween paragraphs!

I ran across one story on TV of people using gas from their cars for their generator.
Well, then they made their choice. We did without a generator, just fine, but if people do use them they should fill up the proper containers ahead of time.

I could see it as a money issue.
Well, if there hadn't been a storm, how did they plan on diapering their kids this week?

Then again I gave one gal cloth diapers at a baby shower with a running out by accident situation in mind. Her mother (the grandmother) mentioned that they come in handy not just if you get caught without disposables but for burping.
Cloth diapers are excellent for burping and other protective and clean up chores. I made great use of them during the year that my daughter was wearing them. :)

Before storms we make sure our chain saws are ready; chains sharpened, extra chains, plenty of the right gas and oil mixes. We have a large saw, small saw, and pole saw. We also have manual saws and axes but prefer not to use them unless necessary. I have manual loppers of various sizes, and one on a pole.

I just heard on the news that some of the hotels are turning away the marathon runners who had reservations because the rooms are being occupied by storm victims. The hotelier said that the victims take priority over the runners.

Well, then they made their choice. We did without a generator, just fine, but if people do use them they should fill up the proper containers ahead of time.

Well, if there hadn't been a storm, how did they plan on diapering their kids this week?

Cloth diapers are excellent for burping and other protective and clean up chores. I made great use of them during the year that my daughter was wearing them. :)[/QUOTE

Neighbors had gotten together and shared a generator; thus using more than planned. This idea came after the storm. In other cases the generator may have been on longer at a time than expected. Or something using more electric than planned for needed to be plugged in.

The storm may have come right before payday. You have heard of people living from paycheck to paycheck?

We still don't have power in my building, but my brother does (where we're staying). Our biggest problem is finding a gas station that has gas or power to pump it. The good thing is that the subways are mostly running, but not in my neighborhood, but we have the buses. The problems we have here in lower Manhattan are nothing compared to Brooklyn and Staten Island and Queens. :(

Just thought of something I did a few years ago! I bought a 7" TV that has closed captioning and can run on batteries or AC. It helped some when I had power out after a storm that was straight line wind but I was only able to get one station because my antenna was bent over. I am far enough from the nearest broadcast towers to use a outside tower for reception rather than have monthly bills for service such as cable.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Preparing and following evacuation orders--personal responsibility.

This has nothing to with people not following evacuation orders , the city is a mess and bodies are still being found in the water , people dies while trying to
evacuate. I feel all the man power should be used to get the city back in shape and not for useless race! The race is waste of human resource .

This has nothing to with people not following evacuation orders , the city is a mess and bodies are still being found in the water , people dies while trying to
evacuate. I feel all the man power should be used to get the city back in shape and not for useless race! The race is waste of human resource .

Two rumors are going around:

1. Mayor B will cancel the race by tomorrow. He is letting the runners spend lots of money in the city before he cancels.

2. If the race goes on, people are threatening to line the route and protest by shouting at the runners as they go by.

I just heard on the news that some of the hotels are turning away the marathon runners who had reservations because the rooms are being occupied by storm victims. The hotelier said that the victims take priority over the runners.

Finally people are getting it that the victims come before a damn race ! I live on the coast line and I had asked my fire department how they would get out people that are bed bound and seniors in nursing homes ,the fireman said he did not know. I hope other cities and towns are better prepared than my city.

We still don't have power in my building, but my brother does (where we're staying). Our biggest problem is finding a gas station that has gas or power to pump it. The good thing is that the subways are mostly running, but not in my neighborhood, but we have the buses. The problems we have here in lower Manhattan are nothing compared to Brooklyn and Staten Island and Queens. :(
I'm glad that you're alright and that your brother's building has power.

I don't understand how people are running out of gas so soon. If they filled their vehicles' gas tanks by Sunday, parked and didn't drive Monday during the storm, how is it by Wednesday everyone seems to have empty gas tanks? Where were they driving the day after the storm that they used up full tanks of gas?

I heard people complaining on Tuesday that they had run out of diapers for their babies. They knew a storm was coming but they didn't stock up? What, they buy only two-days worth of diapers at a time?

We did without running water and electricity for about a week after Hurricane Hugo. Other people went even longer. We had stocked up on non-perishables, filled the car gas tank, filled the propane tanks for the grill, filled every possible container with tap water, had plenty of pet food, stocked up on cleaning supplies, etc. I even had all the laundry done and house cleaned before the storm since I figured I wouldn't be able to do that after the power went out. Because we were prepared, we were able to go around after the storm helping other people who had more damage.

One benefit we had back then was that most people still had land-line phones. We never lost phone service.

So do you want a gold star because you where able to go a week without
running water and electricity. What about people that have a lot health issues , I had clients that would not had last a week with no running water and electricity. I had to go out in storms to check up my clients that lived alone and had no famliy close by . ,

Look at brighter side, 200 years ago there is no EMT, no fireman, no cops no nothing and if Sandy hits same spot 200 years ago, there will be lots lots lots of deaths and injuries. Element of surprises is much worse back then.

Finally people are getting it that the victims come before a damn race ! I live on the coast line and I had asked my fire department how they would get out people that are bed bound and seniors in nursing homes ,the fireman said he did not know. I hope other cities and towns are better prepared than my city.

So do you want a gold star because you where able to go a week without
running water and electricity.
Nope. I'm trying to emphasize preparation. Days before the hurricane, I started this thread and included tips for preparation.

What about people that have a lot health issues , I had clients that would not had last a week with no running water and electricity. I had to go out in storms to check up my clients that lived alone and had no famliy close by . ,
That's exactly why they should evacuate or go to shelters. I read that many people refused to evacuate.

That's the reason those who can prepare or must evacuate should. That leaves then all the rescue and support resources for the people who really need the help, such as the elderly and infirm. It's not right to use up the resources on people who could have taken care of themselves. That leaves less for the people who really need it.

Look at brighter side, 200 years ago there is no EMT, no fireman, no cops no nothing and if Sandy hits same spot 200 years ago, there will be lots lots lots of deaths and injuries. Element of surprises is much worse back then.
Even in just 1938, when the hurricane, called the Long Island Express, hit that area there was very little warning. In fact, there was no warning.

Yeah, and today outcome still far better than back in 1938 anyway. I think the technology changes since 1990's has made the difference.

It was interesting, I'm getting several letters from almost all of banks that I deal with even mortgage. They offered financial relief if I was hit by Sandy, that is new to me. I never see like that in the past. I think it is good change. Looks like Banks now see that it is not worth bankrupt Americans and knew they will come back.

Even in just 1938, when the hurricane, called the Long Island Express, hit that area there was very little warning. In fact, there was no warning.

Marathon canceled!

Rumor was true, I think. Bloomberg knew he was going to call it off all along, but waited last minute to get more money out of them (restaurants, hotels, souvenirs, etc).

No marathon this Sunday:

The marathon will not take place in storm-ravaged New York City this Sunday, Mayor Bloomberg announced late Friday.

Bloomberg had defended his decision to hold the 26.2-mile race as scheduled on Sunday, although many New Yorkers complained it would be insensitive and divert city resources at a time when many are suffering.

Bloomberg earlier in the day said the marathon would "give people something to cheer about in what has been a very dismal week for a lot of people."
But after growing criticism, the event was put off.

"The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination," Bloomberg said in a statement. "We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, so we have decided to cancel it."

There was no immediate word on a new date for the event.
NYC Marathon Won't Be Held Sunday: Mayor | NBC New York

Marathon canceled!

Rumor was true, I think. Bloomberg knew he was going to call it off all along, but waited last minute to get more money out of them (restaurants, hotels, souvenirs, etc).

As well they should. Kudos to the hotel owner that said he wasn't kicking people out, with no where to go, for runners. Some people in NY have a clear understanding of priorities.

Laura

Glad to hear your OK, I guess you were pretty lucky from what I see here on the news. For people in Staten Island it will take a very long time to get back to "normal". I pray that once things are up in running in other areas, that those who are still without are remembered and taken care of. My prayers go out to all of those people. It is really, really sad.

Back