Watch for Hurrricane Sandy on East Coast

It wasn't Bush that delayed, it was FEMA. They acted in a governmental inept way and dragged their feet. You also remember that when help arrived, they were shot at.

People were also told to evacuate, but they refused to listen.

Who is responsible to appoint the FEMA? from the president, for example - Clinton, GWB and Obama, so when trouble goes with FEMA - we blame on the president and the agent of FEMA.

Last - that was true because many poor people from New Orleans couldn't afford to leave, but after Katrina, we know that we need more help to relocate poor people to other area as preparation for hurricane.

Who is responsible to appoint the FEMA? from the president, for example - Clinton, GWB and Obama, so when trouble goes with FEMA - we blame on the president and the agent of FEMA.

Last - that was true because many poor people from New Orleans couldn't afford to leave, but after Katrina, we know that we need more help to relocate poor people to other area as preparation for hurricane.

Ray Nagin directed them to an unsanitary shelter that did not have food or water. He also did not give out a timely evacuation notice. He refused to use resources (such as school buses) to evacuate people.

And, if you are wanting to pin blame on someone, blame Ray Nagin, he did not have a contingency plan.

Without FEMA help, there was nothing could Ray Nagin do, except for make announcement about preparation for hurricane, so I just blame on our president and FEMA as majority part.

Ray Nagin directed them to an unsanitary shelter that did not have food or water. He also did not give out a timely evacuation notice. He refused to use resources (such as school buses) to evacuate people.

because FEMA didn't help with New Orleans at beginning, so of course, I blame on our president and FEMA.

To whom it may concern:

Please stop pointing fingers at Bush, Clinton, Obama, et al, before this thread gets locked. Thank you very much.

I don't think we will never be 100% prepared. I see history repeats itself. Anyone of you remember the bridge collapsed in Minnesota 5 years ago? So, what happened after they rebuild bridge? I remember government promise more improvements with bridges across the America, have anything done? Pretty much none! The truth is, government is not to be blamed. It is WE the people at fault! When bridge closes, alot of drivers and business fudging and trying to put it off at later date. It's all about convenience that many don't want to give up temporarily that easily. Just think about this, sure MTA wants to improve subway, but too many people scream and can't allow it to close. They are very dependent on it until, well its on time bomb.

Hey after Katrina done, did government improve the levee? So far none... Sad, know why? Cause American are in to save money and go cheap.

So, what lessons were learned from Katrina that were implemented in the preparations for Sandy?

I don't think we will never be 100% prepared. I see history repeats itself. Anyone of you remember the bridge collapsed in Minnesota. So, what happened after they rebuild bridge? I remember government promise more improvements with bridges across the America, have anything done?

Hey after Katrina done, did government improve the levee? So far none... Sad, know why? Cause American are in to save money and go cheap.

That why I'm not interested to live in New Orleans and not want deal with hurricane.

Really, does not matter much because anything can happen anywhere with least expectation. I have heard people saying "Oh it never happen in the past so how can anything go wrong? They don't really think ahead.

That why I'm not interested to live in New Orleans and not want deal with hurricane.

I took the doomsday prepper quiz and it said I would survive 4-8 months. My score is 55.

I need medical training above CPR and First Aid and a way to generate electricity.

I can grow a year round garden in my "bug out" location, which also has plenty of wildlife in a sparsely populated area in rugged terrain. You can grow veggies in a bay window. There is also a lake (renewable water source) with plenty of fish. I also know how to can veggies.

Its the medical emergency training, and the first aid kit (you need an RX for antibiotics) that I need to improve.

I may never need it, but it is good to know its there in case.

And no, the bug out vehicle is not EMP proof. Oh well ...

Usually colleges don't reopen until they are confident all is well there. What does the college website say about the facilities and services?

Are you a dorm student? If not, then bring your food with you, and try to travel with a friend.

I live off-campus... a 20 minute walk. I only live there during the weekday.
I will bring some food, some sterno, a lighter... I have no idea.
It's hard to tell if it's ok to go to New Jersey or not...

Really, does not matter much because anything can happen anywhere with least expectation. I have heard people saying "Oh it never happen in the past so how can anything go wrong? They don't really think ahead.

There are area to live that less likely to affected by natural disaster, but coastal cities in gulf/eastern coast and New Orleans are more prone to hurricane frequently, known as hurricane season.

There are many people that I met don't want live in coastal cities due to hurricane, I understand about how their feeling. If you want live in coastal cities so you know about any risks.

There are area to live that less likely to affected by natural disaster, but coastal cities in gulf/eastern coast and New Orleans are more prone to hurricane frequently, known as hurricane season.

There are many people that I met don't want live in coastal cities due to hurricane, I understand about how their feeling. If you want live in coastal cities so you know about any risks.

yeah, but if you live in the mid-west, you have to worry about Yellowstone erupting. Or, California, you have to worry about the "big one".

Disaster can happen anywhere. Don't live in fear, just be prepared.

We take hurricane as more seriously and tried to get preparation, so adopted the mandatory evacuation for people who live in coastal area and get response from FEMA more quickly. There are many people from out of state to help to restore the power and help to clean the mess.
We had all that before. I remember them doing all those things in 1989 for Hurricane Hugo. Also, those things really don't depend on the President.

Not all people took the evacuation or preparations seriously for Sandy but the President had nothing to do with that.

Really, I don't see anything that Bush did or didn't do that would have made a difference.

yeah, but if you live in the mid-west, you have to worry about Yellowstone erupting. Or, California, you have to worry about the "big one".

midwest? like Chicago? they have blizzard and snowstorm. :lol:

California? Yes because of earthquake.

I had deal with several disasters in my life, earthquake, hurricane, tornado and snowstorm.

We had all that before. I remember them doing all those things in 1989 for Hurricane Hugo. Also, those things really don't depend on the President.

Not all people took the evacuation or preparations seriously for Sandy but the President had nothing to do with that.

Really, I don't see anything that Bush did or didn't do that would have made a difference.

I don't agree with you, but saywhatkid doesn't want us to discuss about political, so let move on.

I don't agree with you, but saywhatkid doesn't want us to discuss about political, so let move on.

I would love to talk politics, but we are not supposed to do that. I want this thread to focus on the hurricane, not get locked.

Exactly

My score was 36%, but I don't have a farm or food storage. It said I would survive for only two to four months... At the least, I know my basic medical first aid, and my self-defense skill, through I don't have any gun. So, I tried another quiz for my family, unfortunately, it is too low score. It is about 19% because my family simply don't believe in doomsday or have no interest in buying or making pre-planned stuff. It kinda scare me that the quiz told me we could survive for only 1 to 2 weeks. Oof...

Oh, well. =/

Back