Those who decide not to get a CI

Wirelessly posted

If you don't like the quote, just cover your ears(oops turn off your hearing aid or ci) while I'll shout deaf can do anything but hear. You don't have to hear it if you don't want to hear it.

Why is he not entitled to his opinion, because it differs from yours?

He is pointing out that the quote does not reflect a portion of the deaf community such as himself, who can do anything including being able to hear.
Rick

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
deafgal001 said:
Did I say he isn't entitled?

you did, hes just an angry noob
[nhl]I'm not going argue back and forth over a quote so if he have opinion about then so be it.But it isn't going stop people from using so if he doesn't like it he can ignore it. The only time I'll stop using it for deaf people like him if he stop saying" you don't speak for all deaf" when we care about deaf children and education. He basically told us off. The reason I said that because he doesn't want people to think he can't hear and I don't want people to think oral only is the answer.

Last edited:
The deaf can do anything except hear exactly like a hearing person at all times. Better? lol

The deaf can do anything except hear exactly like a hearing person at all times. Better? lol

How about just a little edit from the original quote: "Deaf people can do anything."

You know, some have died from the CI. That's very scary.

Can you please post some references ? Google has zero results for "death by cocular implant"

Also please clarify what you mean by that..

They have died from the CI itself ??
malfunctioning device ?
malpractice on the part of the doctor ?
infection or complication from the implant surgery ?

How about just a little edit from the original quote: "Deaf people can do anything."

Except become soldiers, airline pilots, DJs, firemen, police officers, security guards, telemarketers, air traffic controllers amongst many other professions.

Can you please post some references ? Google has zero results for "death by cocular implant"

Also please clarify what you mean by that..

They have died from the CI itself ??
malfunctioning device ?
malpractice on the part of the doctor ?
infection or complication from the implant surgery ?

It's "cochlear" .. that might be why you didn't find results on Google.

As for deaths, they vary for different reasons -- contracting spinal meningitis, complications from anesthesia, etc. The percentages are low, but they exist.

I almost think that the statement is beginning to become a little outdated. That with the advances going on in the science, technological or medical field these days it's kind becoming more along the lines of "Deaf people can do anything and also hear better."

Deaf/hh people can (have the ability to) hear. So, that quote is factually wrong.

Did you know you guys have rights to create a new quote of yours ? :aw:

Except become soldiers, airline pilots, DJs, firemen, police officers, security guards, telemarketers, air traffic controllers amongst many other professions.

Your list includes many health and safety professions .. And I agree with some of them ..However you are making a very generalized statement and using absolute terms.

While it may be true that you want the fireman that enters the burning house to be able to hear someone crying for help. is hearing REALLY required to put out a fire ? Attach a hose to a hydrant ? Drive a truck from the fire house to the alarm site ?

DJ ?? I am assuming the term DJ is referring to the 'normal' profession of DJ AKA "artist that plays music"
As a singular example , You may want to research frankie wilde ..
Official Frankie Wilde Website
( most djs's mix based on the bass line .. which in most clubs can be felt.. I also happen to know a dj that performs without using any headphones at all .. all the information he gathers from the next track is via visual cues / spectrum displays and he has full hearing )

Security guard ?? Only if you limit the definition to someone acting in a role that requires hearing.. Sitting in the back room watching monitors , and texting information about problems would not require hearing.

You also mention air traffic control and pilots .. While it is true NOW , it may change in the very near future. Did you know that the US FAA is trying to implement a traffic control system based on GPS that will remove any requirements for actual vocal communication with traffic control during 'normal' operations.

Solder is another one that is a very broad profession. I have knowledge ( a friend of my grandfathers ) of at least one person that served in the US Army during WWI that lost he hearing during his teen years. I will concede that it is only one person , and likely he had to sneak by the normal screening process .. But it does bring up the point that there are many jobs that can be classified as "solder" and not require hearing.

There are no absolutes in defining a profession. someone without the ability to hear can be an asset to most any organization. Even as a telemarketer , someone with experience using a TTY could place sales calls to other TTY users and likely understand the nuances of that method of communication better then someone that does not use one.

It's "cochlear" .. that might be why you didn't find results on Google.

As for deaths, they vary for different reasons -- contracting spinal meningitis, complications from anesthesia, etc. The percentages are low, but they exist.

No results found for "death by cochlear implant".

same results

I am considering one .. which is why I would like to know more .. Not trying to start any arguments here.

all of the information I have found is that it is complications from the procedure .. the original comment read as if the CI itself has killed someone.

No results found for "death by cochlear implant".

same results

I am considering one .. which is why I would like to know more .. Not trying to start any arguments here.

all of the information I have found is that it is complications from the procedure .. the original comment read as if the CI itself has killed someone.

No, I understand you're not trying to start an argument.

There are documented statistics that some CI surgeries have resulted in deaths.

I did a lot of research myself when I was considering one a couple years ago (I ended up not, based on test results.) You can also go to Cochlear's website, or AB's website. (Med-El is not for everyone.) I also don't know what state you are in or where your closest CI surgeon is, but the larger the facility and CI doctors and audis, the more likely you will get to choose for yourself which brand you want to go with.

Cochlear's website is: Cochlear - Implants for Children and Adults - Bionic Ear Hearing Implant | Cochlear

AB's website is: Advanced Bionics: The world's best performing, most reliable cochlear implant systems

Just so you know, AB has a recall going on right now.

When I did all my research, the next step was to meet with a CI audi. I called a hospital near my home only to learn that there are only 3 hospitals (CI centers) in my state that do CIs, so I had to call one of those next. I made an appt. with a CI audi (about a 2 month wait). We did about an hour of testing (db loss, word discrimination, sentence discrimination, speech vs. sound discrimination, etc.) Then my CI audi spent another 2 hours discussing the surgery, the risks (including the death stats,) the mapping afterwards, and the differences between the different brands. From there, if I had opted to go forward, I would have had an MRI and a visit with a psychologist (to make sure I fully understand what I'm getting into), and then surgery.

So, see what you can find online, and find where your closest CI audi/surgeon would be, and make an appt. to learn about the entire process.

My CI audi also had a list of CI users that had CIs from that hospital that would be willing to meet with me before a surgery so I could ask questions, etc.

Perhaps you couldn't. I don't see any regulations or requirements that restrict any of these professions to my daughter. I know at least 2 deaf & HOH officers in the USNavy. I know I've read of at least one deaf police officer on this forum. There's a deaf airline pilots association, so assuming that means there are deaf pilots...

Wirelessly posted

There are careers that expect you to pass a hearing test.

Are those military guys late deafened? Its easier to get in a career as hearing than HOH or deaf.

Umm....I already know that.

And your point is?
That the statement may be a bit outdated at this point with the overemphasis on the "can't hear part". Generally speaking, deaf people can hear better than they did when that statement was made.

Huh?

Yes, there are many of us who can speak without needing a CI.

It is not important if it is good enough to be a news announcer. That is something I don't care for.
Yes, but and I could be mistaken, but I think some of the deaf telling the parents that they were able to speak without the CI may possibly be overestimating their speech skills.

That first of all, I think that sometime perhaps on a subconscious level some of the deaf think they speak very well.... that is for a deaf person or even compared to some of the other deaf people that may hardly have any speaking capabilities. But still doesn't necessarily have hearing-like speech.

Or may even at times been told by other deaf people that they speak very well. Sometime some of the deaf with lesser speaking capabilities tend to think deaf people with more speaking capabilities "speak very well".

Or may at times even been told by some of the hearing people that they speak very well while underestimating the extent that the hearing person was still looking at it from a "deaf perspective". That they may have also come across some of the other deaf people who didn't speak as well.

Wirelessly posted

There are careers that expect you to pass a hearing test.

Are those military guys late deafened? Its easier to get in a career as hearing than HOH or deaf.

Yes, they are late deafened (deafened on the job, itself), deafgal.

Back