Sign language and grammar

InnocentOdion

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Can you guys explain how the grammar of your sign language works? (Please state which one it is) For example, how do you make a question, and how does the layout of certain sentences work (see below)

It's hard to find a good source of information on the grammar of sign language. You can find find information on ASL grammar on Wikipedia, but I don't trust it from there.

I'd also like to know more about why in ASL & BSL one would say something like, "How many brother I have? Three". Why is it said this way, as opposed to "I have three brother", or "I have brother three". I believe it's called a rhetorical question, but don't hold me to it. :ty::ty: Since at the moment I am still learning BSL, I use sign in English-esque grammar.

This is a good resource:

Green Books: Teacher's Resource on Grammar & Culture B320 $39.95

One of the Green Book Series. This volume of the American Sign Language series explains in depth the grammar and structure of American Sign Language (ASL) while also presenting a description of the Deaf community in the United States. Written for teachers with minimal training in linguistics, it includes many illustrations, examples, and dialogues that focus on specific aspects of the Deaf community. [Charlotte Baker-Shenk and Dennis Cokely; (1980) 496 pages; soft cover; ASL]
Green Books: Teacher's Resource on Grammar & Culture

It depends on the type of sign language.

SEE is more accurate than ASL when it comes to grammar structure.

you could argue that SEE is in fact a language, its just not a natural language, its made up.

and how can 1 language be more grammatically correct than another language?

i think you meant to say SEE is more gramatically similar to english than ASL....at least i hope so.

you could argue that SEE is in fact a language, its just not a natural language, its made up.

and how can 1 language be more grammatically correct than another language?

i think you meant to say SEE is more gramatically similar to english than ASL....at least i hope so.

Actually, you can argue that and linguists have done it successfully for some time. SEE is not a language, it is a mode of language, i.e. English. It follows all of the grammatical rules of English and the syntactical rules of English. Therefore, it is an accurate protrayal of English grammar. However, it is not an accurate portrayal of ASL grammar, as ASL does not follow the linear arrangement and sytactical and grammatical structures of English. I did not say that SEE was more grammatically correct than ASL. I simply said it is grammatically correct in ASL criteria, but in English criteria.

I can sign Japanese Sign Language, Signed Exact English, AMerican Sign Lanauge, plus I can speak and write Japanese, English, Chinese, and Spainsh. In my personal opinion, every thing that I have signed, spoke, or written is a language. Withought ASL, SEE, or any other "languages", no one would be able to communicate in any form. Jillio said that SEE is MCE (Manually Coded English). MCE is a "language" where he or she can sign and speak at the same time. American Sign Language, it's not possible to speak and sign at the same time because the grammar is not in proper order. For example, if i try to speak in english in "japanese order", my sentences will not make any sense to English speaking people. ASL is great for spatial relationships, facial expression, and body langauge whereas SEE or MCE is purely manual forn of language (proper word order grammar). Everyone have their own language. I ususally use ASL outside of my home while I use SEE with my wife becuase that is the language she learned as she grew up. My wife is 100 percent deaf and she uses SEE. I first learned SEE in NC and when i moved to Okinawa, i went to DODD (Department of Defense) school and learned Japanese and American Sign Language. So I am fortunate to learn those "languagues" durning my childhood unto my adulthood. My children can sign some, speak japanese, english and spainish! So in reality, my opinion, the more you learn and be open minded, the easier it is to accept and respect the languages of the world and signs of the world as well.

Where have you been, Vampy? SEE is not a sign language.
If it is not a sign language, then why does it stand for "Signing Exact English". "Signing" isn't signing?

Sign language is a form of language that involves signing.

Of course, SEE is a topic of arguments cuz some believe that SEE isn't a sign language... while others do. ;)

No. It is not. Just because you call something "sign language" doesn't make it a language. Just like, with all due respect,

In my personal opinion, every thing that I have signed, spoke, or written is a language.

You have very impressive language skills but that doesn't turn SEE into a language. There are very clear linguistic rules about what is a language and opinion doesn't enter into it. (Well, they get fuzzy when it comes to dialects but SEE isn't even close to a dialect.) An invented sign system is not a language.

I have nothing against SEE, I am not trying to "demote" it in the many communication tools we have available to us. As both an interpreter and as an English teacher for the deaf I and my students use it all the time and it's a wonderful help when trying to produce English in signed form. However, it is not a natural language and it is not a signed language. It is an invented code for English.

I would think the best way to describe SEE is a hybrid of English Language and Sign Language.

If it is not a sign language, then why does it stand for "Signing Exact English". "Signing" isn't signing?

Of course, SEE is a topic of arguments cuz some believe that SEE isn't a sign language... while others do. ;)

Because it adheres to the linguistic arrangement of ENGLISH. Written English is not a language in and of itself, either, even though you can see it and it uses print symbols to convey spoken words.

To be a separate language, there are numerous linguistic criteria that must be met. ASL meets those criteria, and therefore, is a separate and complete langauge. SEE does not meet different criteria, it assumes the criteria that identify ENGLISH as a language. Therefore, the language is ENGLISH, the mode is SEE.

Manually Coded English (MCE) is a signed mode of the English language. English is the language, MCE is the mode. MCE itself is not a language.

MCE is a mode of English. Manually coded English
Morse code is a mode of English. learn morse code
Braille is a mode of English. ...Braille: Deciphering the Code...
Semaphore is a mode of English. Semaphore alphabet

None of the above are languages.

English is the language; the modes are ways of expressing that language. The modes are not themselves languages.

Back