I hate speech thearpy...ughh

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
Even though I love to voice a lot, Speech therapy is a pain. My school have not gave me any speech Therapy for almost half the school in my freshman year. And I have just started, and i mean JUST started speech therapy about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Apparently their excuse was that they couldn't find a speech therapist.

I hate going to speech. I really do. I have been going to speech therapy since i was about 4 or 5 years old when I lost my hearing due to Auto Immune Hearing loss. I mean, They would have you repeat the same words you say everyday over, and over, and over again until you get it right. I tried telling my parents how I don't like speech but they kept saying it's good for me, that I have improved so much since i was a little girl. But still, I am TIRED of going to speech therapy. And that my mom and dad said it was a requirement for me to have speech Therapy to be in a hearing school. Which I don't think I believe that. I mean I can hear pretty well with my implant and my hearing aid. And I have a interpreter in case i need her. I talk every day with sign language. Everytime I have speech, I dread it. Because it's the most boring thing to do. I have to go every monday during advisory (or some of you call it homeroom) and then go to class.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I love to voice a lot, Speech therapy is a pain. My school have not gave me any speech Therapy for almost half the school in my freshman year. And I have just started, and i mean JUST started speech therapy about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Apparently their excuse was that they couldn't find a speech therapist.

I hate going to speech. I really do. I have been going to speech therapy since i was about 4 or 5 years old when I lost my hearing due to Auto Immune Hearing loss. I mean, They would have you repeat the same words you say everyday over, and over, and over again until you get it right. I tried telling my parents how I don't like speech but they kept saying it's good for me, that I have improved so much since i was a little girl. But still, I am TIRED of going to speech therapy. And that my mom and dad said it was a requirement for me to have speech Therapy to be in a hearing school. Which I don't think I believe that. I mean I can hear pretty well with my implant and my hearing aid. And I have a interpreter in case i need her. I talk every day with sign language. Everytime I have speech, I dread it. Because it's the most boring thing to do. I have to go every monday during advisory (or some of you call it homeroom) and then go to class.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!

You have a bad therapist. You should have your parents look around for other options. It shouldn't be something you hate and there are games and things to do to make it fun. Talk to your parents and to the therapist about it.

I know how you feel. I had different speech therapists growing up and I hated going to speech classes especially in high school.

Since u are in high school, you have the right to attend your IEP meetings and express to the IEP team that u feel you dont need speech therapy anymore.

Hang in there!

I didn't like it either, but before too long you will be an independent adult and can do what you want. :)

When I was in 7th grade, they stopped giving me speech therapy. Haven't gone back since. wished they had a writing therapy for me, but they put me in special education instead.

BTW, I am severely HOH with hearing aids (in 85 dbs) in both ears and my school was mainstreamed public. Sorry if I am no help, just sharing my experience :D

I know it's got to be different b/c you're older but Adam's ST doesn't just repeat the same words over and over-- that doesn't sound helpful... I'm sorry it's not a good experience for you... like Shel90 said you have the right to attend your IEP and help determine your goals... I hope it gets better for you.

u don't have to go to speech therapy. I already quitted when I was in middle school after transferred to school for the deaf.

I am really surprised to read your post. I loved to go to a speech therapy. I know it is a hard work, but it's good for you to be challenged. I had my speech therapy for a long time until I stopped when I was a freshman high school.

Do you have to practice your speech with a group of students? If yes, that's obvious. It's really best for you and your therapist to be in a small room for private which help you to focus your speech.

I never thought of what faire_jour said on her post. I think that she is right about a lousy therapist.

I am really surprised to read your post. I loved to go to a speech therapy. I know it is a hard work, but it's good for you to be challenged. I had my speech therapy for a long time until I stopped when I was a freshman high school.

Do you have to practice your speech with a group of students? If yes, that's obvious. It's really best for you and your therapist to be in a small room for private which help you to focus your speech.

I never thought of what faire_jour said on her post. I think that she is right about a lousy therapist.

I used to be in a VERY small group of students with speech last year. It was only 1 or 2 students. I found out the speech therapist...is not really a speech therapist. I guess. It's weird. But the school hired him until they can find a permament speech therapist.

I used to be in a VERY small group of students with speech last year. It was only 1 or 2 students. I found out the speech therapist...is not really a speech therapist. I guess. It's weird. But the school hired him until they can find a permament speech therapist.

Oh, what a bummer to find out that your speech therapist turn out that he is not a professional speech therapist. Look like the school is trying to find a cheap therapist because they could not afford a professional permanent speech therapist. How irony. I don't like going for speech therapist very much, either. I cried a lot every time I could not get the words or vowels right. If I get the vowel or word right, I get the star on my forehead. That was a relief to not have to go through that particular vowel or word. Learning to speak was hard and I still mispronounce words today. I know that I talked with a Deaf accent. Sigh. I don't even like going to the mainstream school with oral method with no interpreters and notetakers. :roll:

I am really surprised to read your post. I loved to go to a speech therapy. I know it is a hard work, but it's good for you to be challenged. I had my speech therapy for a long time until I stopped when I was a freshman high school..

Oh count me in. I love speech therapies, I was frequently praised a lot for having a good speech, I had speech all through-out my school years even when I was in senior at the high school. :)

You have a bad therapist. You should have your parents look around for other options. It shouldn't be something you hate and there are games and things to do to make it fun
On the other hand fairejour, actual speech (ie articualtion) therapy can be VERY boring. Language therapy can be a lot of fun, but once you get to the mechanics of sound, it can be very dull.

On the other hand fairejour, actual speech (ie articualtion) therapy can be VERY boring. Language therapy can be a lot of fun, but once you get to the mechanics of sound, it can be very dull.

I can relate to that experience. Some kids seems to like speech therapy, while other don't, and I am sure it's many different reasons, both in the therapist, the student and the environment. But deaf people should not be forced to continue if they hate it.

Once I was explained how speech works and that stuff, I did everything to get out of it because it got so pointless and waste of time. It's far better to learn to write and read, math, art and so on, gives one much much more than impressing hearing people with speech.IMO.

I managed to get out of it, btw :)

Maybe it is cuz the OP is tired of it and is not interested in speech therapy and want to spend time on other and more interesting stuff. I wanted to take classes in politics in high school but it conflicted with my speech classes so I couldnt take them. I wish I had known my rights back then..I definitely would have called my own IEP meeting and had the speech goals overturned.

I can relate to that experience. Some kids seems to like speech therapy, while other don't, and I am sure it's many different reasons, both in the therapist, the student and the environment. But deaf people should not be forced to continue if they hate it.

Once I was explained how speech works and that stuff, I did everything to get out of it because it got so pointless and waste of time. It's far better to learn to write and read, math, art and so on, gives one much much more than impressing hearing people with speech.IMO.

I managed to get out of it, btw :)

I agree...there is more to life than learning speech over and over and over and over again.

I never minded speech therapy. It was a good excuse to get out of class! :lol:

But, you know what? If you are going to want to have any form of good speech later in life as an adult, you should continue the speech therapy regardless of how boring you may think it is. Everyone tells me how well I speak now and I have my years of speech therapy to thank for it. It saves me from having to write or sign to strangers. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it's the truth for me.

I agree...there is more to life than learning speech over and over and over and over again.

I thought that your speech would have saved your life to land a job and social life in both deaf and hearing worlds.

I thought that your speech would have saved your life to land a job and social life in both deaf and hearing worlds.

It didnt do me much socially..I was still left out and ignored.

I have a job because I am fluent in ASL. If employers based good speech as a qualification for hiring someone, then that is discrimination.

Dont recall saying that my speech saved my life. I do recall saying in several threads here on AD that ASL saved my life.

It didnt do me much socially..I was still left out and ignored.

I have a job because I am fluent in ASL. If employers based good speech as a qualification for hiring someone, then that is discrimination.

Dont recall saying that my speech saved my life. I do recall saying in several threads here on AD that ASL saved my life.

It's good to know that you have succeeded your goal as well. :P

I had speech therapy in high school in year seven for about a year or 2 years. I had it 1-1 and several cochlear implant users that i know had it too, we had a rota and it changed but all of us had it weekly. I hated it to be honest because I had to miss PE but that was the only time I could have it. She helped me learn to say C, CH,S, and SH. She didnt teach me the same word over and over again, we used to play games and practice.

But in primary school(elementary) we also had weekly "speech" which wasnt formal, the deputy head was also a TOD and she used to play games with me and used to video our sessions so she could see how our speech improved over time. It was quite fun! We also had a "speech" session every morning with our class 1-1 and just playing games and getting us to pronouce things correctly etc.

I loved my primary school, small class sizes, the largest number of children in a class was 8 and there was only one class with 8 children in it.

Back