I hate speech thearpy...ughh

My daughter's speech therapist said about 10%....until CI's. Now it is closer to 90% (ci kids, not profoundly deaf with hearing aids, they are still about 10%)
fairejour, on the other hand that's not really an impartial source. Most kids with CIs can pick up speech abilty......but the question is can they develop clear easy to understand speech on a par with hearing kids? Since even most hoh kids tend to have articualtion, pitch and volumne (as well as significent language errors) I doubt that CIs allow strict equality in the area of spoken language.

I hated speech classes too. Its a necessary evil. If your speech isnt good, the mainstream will assume youre retarded. Try to make the most of it.

Some speech teachers are better than others. I had one that made me feel like an idiot.

I dunno, sometimes I think its best for the deaf to be mute and only communicate through terps, rather than letting their intelligence be judged through their speech.

I wonder who's fault for not taking care of your speech. Is it you or your parents?

If you knew that your speech isn't good, then why do you complaint about it?

Why can you try to be a positive that might help you to get in the right path? If you knew that your speech is fair, then that is still okay as long as you can talk well.

It's interesting that some of you have accomplished with your ASL skill, then that's good. But, you could bring along with some of your speech, then that would be also good. I probably think that some deafies made their own scapegoats for their speech problem like this "I hate my speech."

I know many deaf people from an oral school (not oral sex, oops) changed their mind to learn more about sign language which is, of course, great.

The result after they finished their college before George Bush became president, they can't find a good job because of their lack of communication with their boss who never met a deaf person in his/her department. Many of them are working below level of employee class such as working in the building's basement or a sort of hiding an office at the corner. It is very common nowadays that they never get promoted after working for many years.

Why do I have to discuss this one? Is it really about speech issue for the future jobs? Most deafies are paying their house mortgage that cannot afford to loose their house if they don't get a job. Beside, it's same thing for hearing people.

I think that you should never give up your speech no matter how hard it is. You need to practice your speech by reading a baby or easy book once a while. This would be significance for you. (Note, I NEVER say that ASL is bad. I sign ASL with my deaf friends.)

I have told my mom and dad taht i haven't have speech thearpy up until a few months ago. My mom have called my school asking them if i would ever have speech. and they said to her that they were looking for a therapist. because the old therapist who used to work there, moved to michigan i think. and they couldn't find a replacement. But then they found a man who works part time i think, he works at a hospital, and something else i think. But he has a book where he had me say words and say the word in a sentence. and he uses that book all the time for my speech and nothing else really. And, I was like: "kill me noww." Because I have been to speech for years now. And My mom and dad had never really given me a break on speech. I told them so many times that i didn't want to go to speech but they said I had to go. All because my speech lets me be in a hearing school. And I didn't like going to deaf schools because its so far away from home. And I rather be in hearing schools (no offense). But It's just a pain to me. And it just seems like its the same thing over, and over, and over again. Like watching a show you already seen so many times on television

I have told my mom and dad taht i haven't have speech thearpy up until a few months ago. My mom have called my school asking them if i would ever have speech. and they said to her that they were looking for a therapist. because the old therapist who used to work there, moved to michigan i think. and they couldn't find a replacement. But then they found a man who works part time i think, he works at a hospital, and something else i think. But he has a book where he had me say words and say the word in a sentence. and he uses that book all the time for my speech and nothing else really. And, I was like: "kill me noww." Because I have been to speech for years now. And My mom and dad had never really given me a break on speech. I told them so many times that i didn't want to go to speech but they said I had to go. All because my speech lets me be in a hearing school. And I didn't like going to deaf schools because its so far away from home. And I rather be in hearing schools (no offense). But It's just a pain to me. And it just seems like its the same thing over, and over, and over again. Like watching a show you already seen so many times on television

Wow! That sound bad. Perhaps, you would persuade him to talk something else instead of work. If he still wants you to stay on the topic, then it's not good. Are you a freshman now?

yes, talk to your current speech therapy about how you feel about his approach, they will change their ways for you.

Wow! That sound bad. Perhaps, you would persuade him to talk something else instead of work. If he still wants you to stay on the topic, then it's not good. Are you a freshman now?

yes i'm a freshman now. We're almost done with the school year though. We have the last day of school on the June 3rd.

My granddaughter, hearing, was forced by the schools to go to speech therapy because she could not pronounce her R's. She also hated it.

My question then, and now, is the same "So what?" Why does she have to sound like a typical Californian just because she was born here? Lots of people in other states don't pronounce their R's. Big deal.

yeah, I can feel the same way. I'm good with my R's. But with the AS's its hard for me. I almost keep mispronouncing asked or asks. Because of the SK or the AS sound. And everytime i say it, my add would hear me mispronounce it, and he would not let me go until i got that word right. but I don't want that. so it's a pain for me.

Maybe she is talking about the ones she knows personally in real life? I gotta admit that I do know so many dhh people who think they have good speech but when in reality, most hearing people coudlnt understand them and they all turn to me to interpret for them which usually ends up being awkward for all of us cuz I refuse to interpret for them.

When i had speech therapy, alot of people can notice the improvements i have had in my speech. They always say to my mom: "is that your child? She speaks so clearly and she have improved so much in her speech!" I'm happy about that but, if i can speak so well why does my mom and dad wants me to keep up with speech?? it's not like i'm going to stop using my voice and never use it just because i'm deaf.

When i had speech therapy, alot of people can notice the improvements i have had in my speech. They always say to my mom: "is that your child? She speaks so clearly and she have improved so much in her speech!" I'm happy about that but, if i can speak so well why does my mom and dad wants me to keep up with speech?? it's not like i'm going to stop using my voice and never use it just because i'm deaf.

Maybe they are afraid that your speech skills will deterioriate which is a myth cuz I havent had speech class since I graduated from high school in 1990 and a majority of hearing people still can understand me. Sure, it is not perfect but hey, if most hearing people can understand me without too much struggle, then all is well with my speech skills. Why not ask your parents that question unless u have already done so?

Maybe they are afraid that your speech skills will deterioriate which is a myth cuz I havent had speech class since I graduated from high school in 1990 and a majority of hearing people still can understand me. Sure, it is not perfect but hey, if most hearing people can understand me without too much struggle, then all is well with my speech skills. Why not ask your parents that question unless u have already done so?

I haven't ask my parents about that question yet. But i'm guessing they just want me to keep on improving my speech and just talk like a normal hearing person..grr..but idk..since i'm living under their roof i'll have to go by their rules. i'm only 15 and a half so far..

I haven't ask my parents about that question yet. But i'm guessing they just want me to keep on improving my speech and just talk like a normal hearing person..grr..but idk..since i'm living under their roof i'll have to go by their rules. i'm only 15 and a half so far..

Hmmm...do most hearing people understand u most of the time?

My deaf brother and I had the same speech therapists and went to the same oral school during our toddler years..I was able to develop speech skills while he couldnt. Some deaf people just cant develop speech skills no matter how many hours of speech therapy or how good the therapists are. That's why hearing people need to change their attitudes and views on deaf people and speech. Jobs do not need to rely on one's ability to pronounce words. Jobs need to rely on the person's knowledge, skills, and capabilities of the job itself. If we continue to accept that speech is a determining factor of landing good jobs, then we are allowing the discrimination to continue.

Exactly!

Yes, I hate speech thearpy, My mom think I am lazy to learn speech.

In school, the teacher taught us to make correct voice. One evening, we went to McDonald's fast food. Tried to order food. They do not understand my voice. Then, I wrote on paper what I want to order.

My friend told me that his experience..... He went to McDonald's. To make order Hamburger. They had problem to understand my friend's voice. They want to make sure to say something. He said, YES YES YES! They gave him food in the bag. He found out that he got Hot Apple Pie instead hamburger.

I understand why they misunderstand read lip Apple or Hamburger.

Sometime, hearimg people made fun to me that I did not make correct voice. I tried to say, "Fourty Two". They heard my voice, "F--- You".

Excatly, I was young boy. My parents and school teacher said that my voice is normal tone. They know I am very profound deaf. Not like other profound deaf people has higher or lower tone. I am not good to speech in english. English is most difficult like long or short vowel

Yes, I hate speech thearpy, My mom think I am lazy to learn speech.

In school, the teacher taught us to make correct voice. One evening, we went to McDonald's fast food. Tried to order food. They do not understand my voice. Then, I wrote on paper what I want to order.

My friend told me that his experience..... He went to McDonald's. To make order Hamburger. They had problem to understand my friend's voice. They want to make sure to say something. He said, YES YES YES! They gave him food in the bag. He found out that he got Hot Apple Pie instead hamburger.

I understand why they misunderstand read lip Apple or Hamburger.

Sometime, hearimg people made fun to me that I did not make correct voice. I tried to say, "Fourty Two". They heard my voice, "F--- You".

Wow! Do you ever talked to your speech therapist about your situation? She/he would have helped you to correct your speech. Oh boy, it's a good thing that someone didn't smash your face - a big whew!

Wow! Do you ever talked to your speech therapist about your situation? She/he would have helped you to correct your speech. Oh boy, it's a good thing that someone didn't smash your face - a big whew!

No, I did not tell my teacher what happen at outside from school. Students and I talked about speech thearpy in school and outside from school. We were in common experience from school and outside.

Long time ago, I was HS student in 1970's. My parents wanted me to take speech thearpy class then I dislike it at all. They did not help me.

I grew up oral school which no allow sign language. I was very lack of communication. Transfer to deaf school. I learned sign language when I was 14 years old.

Nobody smashes my face. They respected me. Just laughed at me because I made not correct voice.

No, I did not tell my teacher what happen at outside from school. Students and I talked about speech thearpy in school and outside from school. We were in common experience from school and outside.

Long time ago, I was HS student in 1970's. My parents wanted me to take speech thearpy class then I dislike it at all. They did not help me.

I grew up oral school which no allow sign language. I was very lack of communication. Transfer to deaf school. I learned sign language when I was 14 years old.

Nobody smashes my face. They respected me. Just laughed at me because I made not correct voice.

I'm glad that you learned sign language. Some oral schools are too strict not letting them to learn sign language, and the schools are a pretty jerk in some ways. A total communication is the best of all for most of us. I'm glad that I taught some oral deaf students to learn some ASL in a dorm. :D You imagine that they can't tell the difference between, for example, beach and peach without ASL unless we talk about the topic.

not Deaf me but had speech therapy for many years; other kids make a lot of fun and call me names, physical bullying. Went for speech therapy in a different part of school where they put all kids "different"

Back