I hate speech thearpy...ughh

I never minded speech therapy. It was a good excuse to get out of class! :lol:

But, you know what? If you are going to want to have any form of good speech later in life as an adult, you should continue the speech therapy regardless of how boring you may think it is. Everyone tells me how well I speak now and I have my years of speech therapy to thank for it. It saves me from having to write or sign to strangers. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it's the truth for me.

I agree with you to a point. However, what I disagree with is about the treatment of deaf people who dont have good speech skills get from hearing people. It is like they arent viewed as possible equals unless they have excellent speech. I just find that a shame cuz there are so many intelligent deaf people who have a lot of offer if given the chance instead of being disregarded right on the spot. Heck, even with good speech skills, I dont get a lot of opportunities for in-depth conversations/discussions with hearing people in person because they either nod their heads and refrain from saying more than a few words to me after praising me for my speech skills. I find that contradictory of them....tell me that I have great speech skills but yet dont give me the time of the day for more in-depth conversations.

Have you spoken with your therapist about your concerns?

Maybe you can take charge and ask her to help you with specific words or figurative language concepts.

Perhaps you want to learn a new song? Bring the music and ask her to help you. Or perhaps there are names of classmates you want to pronounce but you're not sure how...bring the list. That kind of thing.

Also, the school has to make up for the time you missed your therapy (which is illegal!). You can request the school to allow you to go to a private speech therapist outside of the school to make up for your time. And if they refuse (because of money), then your magic words will be "due process!"

I had two speech therapists. First one (from when I was 2-5 yrs old) involved mostly problem solving skills based on speaking only. "Here is a house, here is a school, here is a chair. Which is different? Why?" Second one (from when I was 5-~15) was more typical and started off with mostly practicing words with sounds that I was weak in (r, sh, ch, s). She always comes up with ways to remind me to pronouce my CH. For example, I would say Tinese instead of Chinese. So I had to make up a story about the "Tinese people" because she asked "Oh? You had Tinese food? Please tell me about the Tinese people and what kind of food they eat." Later on, she'd make spur of the moment assignments such as asking me to write and read a story/essay about anything I want. Two great great great therapists.

I wonder who's fault for not taking care of your speech. Is it you or your parents?

If you knew that your speech isn't good, then why do you complaint about it?

Why can you try to be a positive that might help you to get in the right path? If you knew that your speech is fair, then that is still okay as long as you can talk well.

It's interesting that some of you have accomplished with your ASL skill, then that's good. But, you could bring along with some of your speech, then that would be also good. I probably think that some deafies made their own scapegoats for their speech problem like this "I hate my speech."

I know many deaf people from an oral school (not oral sex, oops) changed their mind to learn more about sign language which is, of course, great.

The result after they finished their college before George Bush became president, they can't find a good job because of their lack of communication with their boss who never met a deaf person in his/her department. Many of them are working below level of employee class such as working in the building's basement or a sort of hiding an office at the corner. It is very common nowadays that they never get promoted after working for many years.

Why do I have to discuss this one? Is it really about speech issue for the future jobs? Most deafies are paying their house mortgage that cannot afford to loose their house if they don't get a job. Beside, it's same thing for hearing people.

I think that you should never give up your speech no matter how hard it is. You need to practice your speech by reading a baby or easy book once a while. This would be significance for you. (Note, I NEVER say that ASL is bad. I sign ASL with my deaf friends.)

I had two speech therapists. First one (from when I was 2-5 yrs old) involved mostly problem solving skills based on speaking only. "Here is a house, here is a school, here is a chair. Which is different? Why?" Second one (from when I was 5-~15) was more typical and started off with mostly practicing words with sounds that I was weak in (r, sh, ch, s). She always comes up with ways to remind me to pronouce my CH. For example, I would say Tinese instead of Chinese. So I had to make up a story about the "Tinese people" because she asked "Oh? You had Tinese food? Please tell me about the Tinese people and what kind of food they eat." Later on, she'd make spur of the moment assignments such as asking me to write and read a story/essay about anything I want. Two great great great therapists.

Wow. You have a very good memory from your experience. I don't recall mine except a woman who was very motived to teach me how to speak correctly. I wonder if my therapist is still alive somewhere.

Wow. You have a very good memory from your experience. I don't recall mine except a woman who was very motived to teach me how to speak correctly. I wonder if my therapist is still alive somewhere.

The first therpaist taped our sessions, that's why I know exactly what happens during therapy. (Note to speech pathologists, I HIGHLY recommend taping your sessions! Your clients will treasure them.) I also still have notebooks from both of the therapists, and I like to look through them for a trip down the memory lane.

I wonder who's fault for not taking care of your speech. Is it you or your parents?

If you knew that your speech isn't good, then why do you complaint about it?

Why can you try to be a positive that might help you to get in the right path? If you knew that your speech is fair, then that is still okay as long as you can talk well.

It's interesting that some of you have accomplished with your ASL skill, then that's good. But, you could bring along with some of your speech, then that would be also good. I probably think that some deafies made their own scapegoats for their speech problem like this "I hate my speech."

I know many deaf people from an oral school (not oral sex, oops) changed their mind to learn more about sign language which is, of course, great.

The result after they finished their college before George Bush became president, they can't find a good job because of their lack of communication with their boss who never met a deaf person in his/her department. Many of them are working below level of employee class such as working in the building's basement or a sort of hiding an office at the corner. It is very common nowadays that they never get promoted after working for many years.

Why do I have to discuss this one? Is it really about speech issue for the future jobs? Most deafies are paying their house mortgage that cannot afford to loose their house if they don't get a job. Beside, it's same thing for hearing people.

I think that you should never give up your speech no matter how hard it is. You need to practice your speech by reading a baby or easy book once a while. This would be significance for you. (Note, I NEVER say that ASL is bad. I sign ASL with my deaf friends.)

My deaf brother and I had the same speech therapists and went to the same oral school during our toddler years..I was able to develop speech skills while he couldnt. Some deaf people just cant develop speech skills no matter how many hours of speech therapy or how good the therapists are. That's why hearing people need to change their attitudes and views on deaf people and speech. Jobs do not need to rely on one's ability to pronounce words. Jobs need to rely on the person's knowledge, skills, and capabilities of the job itself. If we continue to accept that speech is a determining factor of landing good jobs, then we are allowing the discrimination to continue.

It saves me from having to write or sign to strangers. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it's the truth for me.
That is a good thing yeah......but how many dhh kids develop REALLY clear speech? I know dhh people who can speak, but they are VERY difficult to understand.

The first therpaist taped our sessions, that's why I know exactly what happens during therapy. (Note to speech pathologists, I HIGHLY recommend taping your sessions! Your clients will treasure them.) I also still have notebooks from both of the therapists, and I like to look through them for a trip down the memory lane.

I'm glad Adam's ST tapes some of his sessions since she gets him at daycare mostly and I dont get to go to all his sessions, this way I can see them later :)

That is a good thing yeah......but how many dhh kids develop REALLY clear speech? I know dhh people who can speak, but they are VERY difficult to understand.

Really? That's interesting. I'm thinking a lot of people here, myself included, would disagree with that.

Really? That's interesting. I'm thinking a lot of people here, myself included, would disagree with that.

Yea.....*raises hand*. I definitely don't speak normal, however, clear doesn't always have to be normal.

Maybe she is talking about the ones she knows personally in real life? I gotta admit that I do know so many dhh people who think they have good speech but when in reality, most hearing people coudlnt understand them and they all turn to me to interpret for them which usually ends up being awkward for all of us cuz I refuse to interpret for them.

Maybe she is talking about the ones she knows personally in real life? I gotta admit that I do know so many dhh people who think they have good speech but when in reality, most hearing people coudlnt understand them and they all turn to me to interpret for them which usually ends up being awkward for all of us cuz I refuse to interpret for them.

Could be. I understand what you're saying and have been there, done that. :)

My daughter's speech therapist said about 10%....until CI's. Now it is closer to 90% (ci kids, not profoundly deaf with hearing aids, they are still about 10%)

Yea, only hearing people would know if we are speaking clear. ;)

And Daredevel7, I agree that clear doesn't always have to be normal, if hearing people can understand you, then you're fine. ;)

Yea, only hearing people would know if we are speaking clear. ;)

And Daredevel7, I agree that clear doesn't always have to be normal, if hearing people can understand you, then you're fine. ;)

Yep. Before I got the CI, my speech was quite clear but it didn't sound quite normal according to a lot of hearing people.

My granddaughter, hearing, was forced by the schools to go to speech therapy because she could not pronounce her R's. She also hated it.

My question then, and now, is the same "So what?" Why does she have to sound like a typical Californian just because she was born here? Lots of people in other states don't pronounce their R's. Big deal.

I had trouble getting the "r" pronounced right and it gets me to slow down my speech just to make me feel like I'm bored... It's my tongue that makes me speak at a slower-than-normal speed and it kind of bothered me.

Speech therapy is no effect for me. :(

And I do have trouble speaking over the phone, except when speaking with my mom, dad, or my brother. This is even when using WebCapTel (web-based caption telephone), so I when this happens, I revert back to text relay service.

It could be due to my speech impairment, but I'm not very sure.

My granddaughter, hearing, was forced by the schools to go to speech therapy because she could not pronounce her R's. She also hated it.

My question then, and now, is the same "So what?" Why does she have to sound like a typical Californian just because she was born here? Lots of people in other states don't pronounce their R's. Big deal.
Exactly. Even after I got my CI, I still can't pronounce my R's correctly in certain words as in "I want my steak done medium rare." I get steak med. well. :pissed: I hate steak done med. well.

Back