Am I Hard Of Hearing?

AishaMisa

Reaction score
When i am in normal day conversations, I find myself asking "what" a lot. I can be a couple of feet away from someone and not be able to understand what they are saying. Last week in class I was having a conversation with two people in front of me. They could understand each other fine even though they were farther away from each other than I was. But i couldnt understand the majority of what they were saying when one of them was right in front of me. Does that make me hard of hearing? Even though i can hear everything going on around me, I have a hard time understanding conversation unless my ear is turned towards them.

I know that feeling. I was born hard of hearing but when I am sick I lose all hearing. It is hard and some people don't understand what it is like.

I know that feeling. I was born hard of hearing but when I am sick I lose all hearing. It is hard and some people don't understand what it is like.
Being sick really makes it worse. Do you sign, are you able to read lips, or do you just not communicate easily?

welcome...I'm hoh, have trouble in groups, on phone, if someone is turned away from me - though I hear they said something - it all depends on the acous

...oops, don't know what happend there, sorry...thought I'd typed the above in last night but we were on our way out - meant "acoustics" as last word-

Being sick really makes it worse. Do you sign, are you able to read lips, or do you just not communicate easily?
I sign and read lips but I did go to mainstream school and speech therapy so I can talk fine, but I do need to read lips to get the response. My husband who is also hoh signs with meat home.

I had a bomb, 2000 pounder, go off in close proximity to me. Hung bomb on an F4 Phantom fell off during landing. Viet Nam vet. Third day in country. Guarding six F 102s as an augmentee to Security.

I am hearing. However, I've lost the ability to "tune" to a person's voice if there are multiple sources of sound. Your description makes me think you may have a related issue. I say, "I'm sorry?" a lot, it seems!

This actually has cleared up a lot for me. That's how it is for me kind of. My hearing is enough for me to hear around me but not at the same time. Some days it's worse than others. Everything is muffled. I have to be turned towards them to be able to understand everything clearly. I can't go to an audiologist yet but in a year I plan on it. It's hard because I know a few profoundly deaf people and it's like I'm stuck in the middle. Not accepted by hearing or Deaf. It's hard for people to understand the way it is for me and sometimes I feel guilty for saying I'm hard of hearing when people think I want attention even though that's not how it is. I guess you all just kind of answered a question that I have always kind of thought but never actually said.

Looks like you indeed might be hard of hearing. but only the audiologist and hearing tests can tell for sure.
Please do not wait any longer - for you own health and safety (because who knows what causes this problem) go asap and check what's going on. hopefully nothing.

Fuzzy

Back