:WTF: @ Gallaudet

Liza said:
Personally, I think the quality of any communication system depends on how good people are at their jobs. That's why it's very important to keep everything as a proof of what has transpired. That is the student's personal responsibility as well, I'm afraid to say realistically.

I agreed. I'm a first year student at Gallaudet and there was a few times when Gallaudet tried to fucked me over, but what I did was keep the transcripts I got from every departments in case they try to eat up my money. I'm glad everything's taken care of.

Also- I don't appericated some of you here badmouthing about Gallaudet. Every universities has it flaws, so knock it off and grow up.

Carebearx13x said:
Also- I don't appericated some of you here badmouthing about Gallaudet. Every universities has it flaws, so knock it off and grow up.

Like it or not, people are entitled to their opinions. They can speak of an university from a negative aspect if they wanted to.

Freedom of Speech, be grateful that you can use the right.

Carebearx13x said:
I agreed. I'm a first year student at Gallaudet and there was a few times when Gallaudet tried to fucked me over, but what I did was keep the transcripts I got from every departments in case they try to eat up my money. I'm glad everything's taken care of.

you can't said anything about badmouthing, of course gally may be bad unviersity who's know

I've always been curious about Gallaudet, and I know someone's uncle who studied there and learnt ASL there. It's the only deaf university in the world is that right?

Ziusudra said:
I've always been curious about Gallaudet, and I know someone's uncle who studied there and learnt ASL there. It's the only deaf university in the world is that right?

yah I think so

Ziusudra said:
Hmm... that sounds hard to believe. These days, there's at least one of everything. I'm sure there is another deaf university somewhere else in the world!

VamPyroX said:
Hmm... that sounds hard to believe. These days, there's at least one of everything. I'm sure there is another deaf university somewhere else in the world!

NITD? I went there for summer exploratory program back in 1992. Boy that was a long time ago. ;)

tekkmortal said:
NITD? I went there for summer exploratory program back in 1992. Boy that was a long time ago. ;)
Yes, NTID is considered a college. It's listed as two things. It's a college of its own for deaf students as well as a college under RIT as one of the bunch of different colleges on campus.

First of all, Gallaudet University isn't only college for the deaf in the World. Secondly, Gallaudet University doesn't suck in education, hell, even Harvard graduates doesn't know how season works, something that was taught in pre-K! Next, education is inherited based on individual's desire to learn, not by how teachers teach. Teachers can be used as a motivational tool which vary in various colleges, but it still depend entirely on how individuals teach themselves. Some famous World War II generals didn't graduate from West Point Academy (famous military academy) and still succeed from another university, it doesn't necessarily mean that those another academy suck. It is based on individuals, not based on universities themselves. Finally, polls isn't the answer to our search for suitable colleges or universities either. According to Critical Thinking and Writing course that I took, polls is a trickery used as tool that we use to control how people base their decisions on. Poll is a device that people put their opinion on, but to what expertise? To what geographical area is the poll based on? To what percentage of total population is the poll actually based on? Out of how many of the population are they selected to participate in their poll? Are most of population from inside the city, or in the country or both? It is something that we have to think, to re-strategize our decision making and to better find facts for ourselves before we cry "They suck!"

Last edited:

Well said! Gallaudet University have been given unfair and biased bad raps. As a Gallaudet alumni, I never gave a bad rap about NTID. Even whenever prospect students come to me for my advice about their future careers and majors, I would recommend some of them to go to NTID/RIT based on their desires and careers.

Goldenleafs- Many of those bad raps toward Gallaudet University are baseless and false so it is unfair to badmouth Gally.

I'll pay attention to any feedback (negative or positive) about colleges if the person who is making the feedback has had been to them before. Feedback based on hearsay has zero credibility with me (reported news, I discern as well). *shrug* I have never said anything bad or good about NTID, because I have never experienced it personally as a student. I do hear stories, but I don't pass them on. If I am curious enough, I'll ASK questions before jumping into conclusions! Everytime I hear about stories regarding gally, I just laugh and think of my own experiences there.

Whatever you hear from your friends or friends' mother's friends or friends' friends' cousin or sister, is gospel until you see for yourself.

Seems like there are three deaf colleges/university in USA that are listed at this url.

1. Gallaudet University
2. NTID
3. SCID (Southwest Collegiate Institute for the Deaf - a community college in Big Spring, Texas)

Does CSUN count? I even considered going there, too.

What's the difference between "college" and "university?" You decide. Gally was considered a college in the 1980's, but seems like there was a formality that gave gally its university status later on. Don't take my word for it. Do yer homework. Technically, gally could be considered the only deaf university in USA, even though it advertises to be the only deaf university in the world. I have yet to see other deaf universities out there. I would like to hear about them if you know of any! Colleges and technical schools, more likely.

http://www.hc.cc.tx.us/library/deafsch.htm

Liza said:
Seems like there are three deaf colleges/university in USA that are listed at this url.

1. Gallaudet University
2. NTID
3. SCID (Southwest Collegiate Institute for the Deaf - a community college in Big Spring, Texas)

What's the difference between "college" and "university?" You decide. Gally was considered a college in the 1980's, but seems like there was a formality that gave gally its university status later on. Don't take my word for it. Do yer homework. Technically, gally could be considered the only deaf university in USA, even though it advertises to be the only deaf university in the world. I have yet to see other deaf universities out there. I would like to hear about them if you know of any! Colleges and technical schools, more likely.

http://www.hc.cc.tx.us/library/deafsch.htm

It's SWCID - with "W". :D

And yes, CSUN does counted. There are more than 200 hearing impaired & hard of hearing students.

College is usually 2-year to 4-year degree plan (AS to BS). Unverisity come with MA and higher (Ph.d)

Last edited:
Liza said:

:eek2:

Does CSUN COUNT?! DOES CSUN COUNT?!

My gosh, I figured CSUN's still the bastard child on the block because it's the west coast and at a PUBLICLY funded college (Gally and RIT are moneygrubbing private colleges), but dang, 250 deaf students (supported by the National Center on Deafness, http://ncod.csun.edu ) mingling with 30,000 hearing ain't something to be ashamed about!

Anyway, I'm quite proud of the school. Gallaudet gives me the willies. CSUN has complete access to Hollywood, international corporate HQ's, and sports. What more can anyone want?

Dennis said:
:eek2:

Does CSUN COUNT?! DOES CSUN COUNT?!

My gosh, I figured CSUN's still the bastard child on the block because it's the west coast and at a PUBLICLY funded college (Gally and RIT are moneygrubbing private colleges), but dang, 250 deaf students (supported by the National Center on Deafness, http://ncod.csun.edu ) mingling with 30,000 hearing ain't something to be ashamed about!

Anyway, I'm quite proud of the school. Gallaudet gives me the willies. CSUN has complete access to Hollywood, international corporate HQ's, and sports. What more can anyone want?

Spill the beans, dude. What are the costs of going to college above?

illustrator said:
It's SWCID - with "W". :D

And yes, CSUN does counted. There are more than 200 hearing impaired & hard of hearing students.

College is usually 2-year to 4-year degree plan (AS to BS). Unverisity come with MA and higher (Ph.d)

Oh okay :D

Do the teachers also sign at CSUN for these 200+ deaf/hoh students?

Notice: The below figures are not including room, board, meals, etc. This is focusing on tuition only, as CSUN did not include room and board on it's tuition costs.

CSUN University fees and tuition webpage:

http://www-admn.csun.edu/ucs/tuition.html

State of CA residents pay $1,222 per undergrad semester (Fall, Spring, and non-mandatory Summer school) for more than 6 units. The university considers 12 units as full time student load.

Undergraduate Non-residents / Foreign students pay a hella lot more (getting residency is pretty easy after one year). $282 per unit (12 units x $282 is $3,384).

RIT's:
http://finweb.rit.edu/bursar/full_time_matriculated_day_undergraduate.html

NTID special rate, tuition only, per quarter (Fall, Winter, Spring, and non-mandatory Summer school): $2,327.

Undergrad resident tuition alone, PER QUARTER : $6,815.

There's a non-maltriculated student fee. I don't quite get it, as it means the student is not enrolled. Perhaps it's akin to an Open University program where the students can try to get into a program without enrolling with the university, not an international student fee or anything. That's hella expensive at $300 to $450 a unit.

Gallaudet's:
http://admissions.gallaudet.edu/catalog/03-04/UG03-04_fees.pdf

U.S. Citizen undergraduate tuition, per semester (Fall, Spring, non-mandatory Summer school): $4,500.

International undergraduate tuition, per semester: $9,000

Last edited:
Liza said:
Oh okay :D

Do the teachers also sign at CSUN for these 200+ deaf/hoh students?

There are many faculty members who teach their classes in sign. That's only about 5% of all the classes taught at CSUN, though. The majority of the classes are taught with interpreters, notetakers, captionists, typewell, and voice recognicion to text computers.

That sucks,... The key is to read information everything before you go ahead.. That is it..

I know not only universities, everywhere :ugh2: like this.

Back