Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

Mizzou

Reaction score
Curouis how many ppl work or on SSI/SSDI.... and why?

I been working and upset about deafies ppl who are not working because of many reasons. Why cant we work together since hearing ppl wont hire any deafies around here. Is your area accepts you?? Is anyone have any comments or ideas?? I found out lot from my co-worker who is deaf, too. We been discuess so I want see yours, too :D

I got hired with no problem at this electricity company. I have been working here for more than a year already and my boss is pleased with how accurate and fast I do my work. :D

I have not been on SSA/SSI before, and hope will not in the future.

I know the feelings !!! i used to be on ssi/ssdi for awhile .. but right now i am work... sometime i feel that the ss systems need to change for everybody .... i know few friends of mine has been never had a job since !!! eventhrough they are on ssi it make me so mad and yell at them to get a job since it is better to get paycheck than ssi/ssdi check because u can have allot of pleasure to go anywhere from paycheck than ssi/ssdi being struck and limit activies !! but they act like they don't care and they rather to be play round ... i warn them once they reach round 50 to 80 no more ssi / ssdi and it would force them to go find a job and no longer fun and struck with health problem !! that's their problem not mine ... cuz i already warn them ... they seem don't get it at all ... so i let them go and learn the hard way ! recently some of them asked me how can i afford everything ??? i told them just cuz i work so hard to make some decent money to spend on ... they were gasped

Originally posted by MizzDeaf
Curouis how many ppl work or on SSI/SSDI.... and why?

I been working and upset about deafies ppl who are not working because of many reasons. Why cant we work together since hearing ppl wont hire any deafies around here. Is your area accepts you?? Is anyone have any comments or ideas?? I found out lot from my co-worker who is deaf, too. We been discuess so I want see yours, too :D

Well, why don't you find me a job that will be willing to contact me....I've applied...submitted my resumes...never heard anything.

I'm currently waiting for a counsoler to contact me to tell me if her supervisor has approved our plans for me to use a different counsoler since this one currently cannot help me after few weeks. :/

I never use SSI/SSDI. I work hard and support myself while going college or not. ;)

Now, I am still pay the debit without use any damn goverment's money. :D

Originally posted by knightwolf68
I know the feelings !!! i used to be on ssi/ssdi for awhile .. but right now i am work... sometime i feel that the ss systems need to change for everybody .... i know few friends of mine has been never had a job since !!! eventhrough they are on ssi it make me so mad and yell at them to get a job since it is better to get paycheck than ssi/ssdi check because u can have allot of pleasure to go anywhere from paycheck than ssi/ssdi being struck and limit activies !! but they act like they don't care and they rather to be play round ... i warn them once they reach round 50 to 80 no more ssi / ssdi and it would force them to go find a job and no longer fun and struck with health problem !! that's their problem not mine ... cuz i already warn them ... they seem don't get it at all ... so i let them go and learn the hard way ! recently some of them asked me how can i afford everything ??? i told them just cuz i work so hard to make some decent money to spend on ... they were gasped

I agree with you!

Originally posted by illustrator
I never use SSI/SSDI. I work hard and support myself while going college or not. ;)

Now, I am still pay the debit without use any damn goverment's money. :D

YaY!!! Keep on! :D

ive had SSI/SSD before and they SUCK :roll:

i worked for several years and i prefer working -- consider myself a workaholic but am returning back to college in the fall -- fall semester will be PT then spring semester FT more likely -- its been years since ive touched foot in a classroom yikes LOL but am looking forward to it!

Originally posted by Fly Free
ive had SSI/SSD before and they SUCK :roll:

i worked for several years and i prefer working -- consider myself a workaholic but am returning back to college in the fall -- fall semester will be PT then spring semester FT more likely -- its been years since ive touched foot in a classroom yikes LOL but am looking forward to it!

Goodie that you go back and get more education..... what kind of your major you taking?? what you do during PT in the fall??

Originally posted by MizzDeaf
Goodie that you go back and get more education..... what kind of your major you taking?? what you do during PT in the fall??

PT in the fall for the purpose of getting myself back in the groove of college life as its been SO LONG and would be a bit stressful for me -- will be majoring in Criminal Justice

I have both ... a part time job for delivering newspapers and ssd, no ssi because of overpayments. blah. and i also babysit 2 times a week most of the times. When i get to settle down, i would start searching for a better job

I owe SSI 5,180 dollars :) heh cuz I earned too much money at my work while I was on SSI heh.. but I havent paid back.. *strugs*

I was not on SSI or had any plan to apply for SSI until my VR recommended me to get one. That is because they had changed their policy on clients who receives SSI. To whoever gets SSI will be waived from paying any college tution.

So I thought it was a good deal but I continue to work part time while attending school full time while receiving SSI with no problem. So yeah... when I graduate, I plan to cut my SSI completely so I can support myself 100%.

If a deaf person can't find work, and has tried hard enough to the point where there's nowhere else to apply, then SSI wouldn't be such a bad idea.

If you are on SSI, and would like to make money on the side, then check out the Sales Rep position available at http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?threadid=960

Good luck.

I just reapplied for SSI/Disabilty...Yes, I know the controversy about being on it, but I am on it b/c I am deaf special needs (multiple/severe disabilties) due to my syndrome. I like working and have worked before but right now I cannot make enough money for basic costs of living AND the costs that my deafness and other disabilties incur. I need new hearing aids badly! I can't stand for long periods of time and have hypotonia (low muscle tone which means I am as strong as a seven year old) I also have learning disabilties(math, can't handle womaning a cash register) and social-emotional delays.(I am very young for my age) and I also have very severe depression :( I'm smart...I actually want to maybe be a women's studies professor someday but, as of right now I need assistance!
If I was just plain deaf then I probaly wouldn't even NEED SSI/Disabilty (especially if I was Deaf...then I wouldn't even need my hearing aids to function in every day life!)

Originally posted by Pure Ion
SSI sucks period. I want to work instead of living off little money.

It's good to see you do that. *high give*

Why do you think you need SSI while going college? Have you seen hearings what they are doing? They work hard while go college as full-time student.

They might not respect you, if you use goverment's fund.

Last edited:
Back