Why Would You NOT Choose A CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean dreama even though I prefer sounds I still do like to communicate in a completely non verbal way from time to time.

It does get tiring trying to hear everything said all the time when you have a HA. It also does get tiring trying to lipread people all the time. When I had my hearing aid, I could hear pretty well but still had to rely on lipreading and some people were just impossible to lipread no matter how hard you tried. lol

Were you successful in having different conversations with hearing people in a crowd who constantly talk over each other? The reason I asked is cuz my husband's family constantly does that during family gatherings and it makes things difficult for me. I have explained to them that I can have conversations with one to two people at a time but if they start jumping into the other conversations going on around us while I am trying to have a conversation with them, it makes communication nearly impossible for me. That is when I get angry cuz all I am asking for some respect to my deaf needs. I dont think that is asking so much. My family doesnt do that because they know that it is not respectful to my brother and I.

Shel as a matter of fact I was. I never really stopped to think about it. Until now. I was just me lol.

I used to go to my boyfriends house alot and there would be always some part or something going on. We would have music in the background, other people talking, a card game going on which I was usually playing in, and just alot of things going on at once and never seemed to have a problem.

Shel as a matter of fact I was. I never really stopped to think about it. Until now. I was just me lol.

I used to go to my boyfriends house alot and there would be always some part or something going on. We would have music in the background, other people talking, a card game going on which I was usually playing in, and just alot of things going on at once and never seemed to have a problem.

*off-topic*

Ohhh...aside from 'hearing', 'CI',....you're saying you have a problem? Wouldn't it be due to something significant with the #40??? :lol: :lol:

Oppsss...I better :scatter:

(was in here, checking out the thread--;)

~RR

Yep...back once again--as for the topic of this thread. I'm quite content, comfortable and well adapted to the hearing-aid which I do have...sooo, no need for me to 'choose' a CI, why mess with a good thing--which I already have the ability to hear with? ;)

~RR

*off-topic*

Ohhh...aside from 'hearing', 'CI',....you're saying you have a problem? Wouldn't it be due to something significant with the #40??? :lol: :lol:

Oppsss...I better :scatter:

(was in here, checking out the thread--;)

~RR

lmao RR isnt you with the 50ish problem? haha and besides turning 40 will be fun as by then both my kids will be 18 and I will be blessedly free to enjoy my life as I wish. Now you on the other hand at 50ish is still helping to raise some young'uns.

As for the hearing aids I agree. There is no need to seek out a CI when your hearing aids provide plenty of benefit left.

The reason why I would not get a CI because the fact that it involved surgery and I'm afraid that it would not work for me at all...I would definitely go for something else that does not involved surgery at all, I hate it when some people says to me that you're making an excuse for not wanted to hear cause it involves surgery, well at least I'm being honest about how I feel about this...

Why would I not need cochlear implants? I'm fine with a hearing aid. :)

My reasons are simple, It's unfortunate it might or might not work for me, I don't want to have a surgeon opened my head without knowing how far or how much I'll hear, I have encountered people who have had success and failures on their cochlear implants, I could be one of those people who had succeed or who had failed. I'm not as brave as others who went ahead with cochlear implants.

I do lots of sports offshore, among them deepdiving. No way the doctor is going to okay this with a CI. I also feel it's a bit gross with CI and don't like the scars.

I do lots of sports offshore, among them deepdiving. No way the doctor is going to okay this with a CI. I also feel it's a bit gross with CI and don't like the scars.

that true i would agree with you!

i had lung surgery when i was 12 years old and i have scars on my back but i always cover my scar since my surgery and sometime people saw my scars what happened? its hard explain for that! but my parents knew i have scars on my back and i dont like people show mine scars.

that true i would agree with you!

i had lung surgery when i was 12 years old and i have scars on my back but i always cover my scar since my surgery and sometime people saw my scars what happened? its hard explain for that! but my parents knew i have scars on my back and i dont like people show mine scars.

In all honesty - you can't see my scar from my CI surgery. Its hidden behind my ear - unless you make a habit of bending your ear forward all the time, nobody will see the scar, and then when you wear the processor (BTE), even if you have short hair and somebody is standing behind you, they won't see it.

Reason I did NOTchoose a CI...

I been speech and hearing lot of noise that I can understand. When I getting older and my hearing is becoming 100% deaf and I used my hearing aids. I hate to say, it did make me having a bad headaches. Those hearing aids are fine when I am well healthly but some day are moody, cant use them.

I could choose a CI but little by little about risky on surgery and not working in the future. That would not make happier but it work in some ways. That is all, I can say.

Also, I wrote about a CI in my book. All about opinions.

In all honesty - you can't see my scar from my CI surgery. Its hidden behind my ear - unless you make a habit of bending your ear forward all the time, nobody will see the scar, and then when you wear the processor (BTE), even if you have short hair and somebody is standing behind you, they won't see it.

BTE?

I already mention some good points about CI in the other thread.. Now, it's my chance to say soemthing about negative view..

I was so young kid, I always want to have a CI because I felt so insulted when some children thought deaf people were just phony and dumb. I sometime was so rejected and had very hard to express/share with my family because I did not know what my family think of me.. I refused to tell something else to them.. In the another reason, I thought if I have a CI then I will able to communcation with my family too. I was trying to be fit in the hearing world, and I also always wanted to know what it sound like and how it make a noise. My mom could not afford to pay a CI, but she was actually didn't want me to have CI (I really glad for her!) so she kept to say me that she could not afford it or to say a "NO". Later, I was about ten years old, I finally lost an interest for CI and did not want it anymore.. so I never really thought about it until a several of my friends were mentioned about pos & con issue on CI. I realized it, now I am really glad that I decided to not choose a CI.

In the note -my family and i have somewhat strong bond but I still love them, I am still happy that my mom is ACTUALLY against CIs because she don't think I really need it and want me to be proud of being deaf. :D Ditto her! <33

I already mention some good points about CI in the other thread.. Now, it's my chance to say soemthing about negative view..

I was so young kid, I always want to have a CI because I felt so insulted when some children thought deaf people were just phony and dumb. I sometime was so rejected and had very hard to express/share with my family because I did not know what my family think of me.. I refused to tell something else to them.. In the another reason, I thought if I have a CI then I will able to communcation with my family too. I was trying to be fit in the hearing world, and I also always wanted to know what it sound like and how it make a noise. My mom could not afford to pay a CI, but she was actually didn't want me to have CI (I really glad for her!) so she kept to say me that she could not afford it or to say a "NO". Later, I was about ten years old, I finally lost an interest for CI and did not want it anymore.. so I never really thought about it until a several of my friends were mentioned about pos & con issue on CI. I realized it, now I am really glad that I decided to not choose a CI.

In the note -my family and i have somewhat strong bond but I still love them, I am still happy that my mom is ACTUALLY against CIs because she don't think I really need it and want me to be proud of being deaf. :D Ditto her! <33

Wow!!! That's so great about your mom showing you that you should be proud of being deaf instead of trying to make you hearing. Your mom deserves a big hug!

WOW, quite a story you got there, I agree with Shel90, give your mom a hug from us ..

Agree with shel and Angel....your mom deserves hugs!

Vanity

To be very honest, my main concern is the same as SCBassist's used to be --cosmetic -- and I think it's interesting that many of you don't worry about that at all. Makes me feel silly but I suppose being a single girl it becomes more of a concern (ie, trying to imagine explaining the CI to guys when out on dates, that kind of thing). I really really hate how the CIs look: like a random button sewn onto your head LOL. I'm probably going to go through with the surgery this summer anyway, but I'm already planning to grow my hair long so I can put it into all kinds of CI-disguising hairdos.

I'll be praying for a wireless/completely internal version soon. I'm telling you, I'd even go through the entire pain and trouble of reimplantation if future technologies ever required it. That is how vain I am. :)

To be very honest, my main concern is the same as SCBassist's used to be --cosmetic -- and I think it's interesting that many of you don't worry about that at all. Makes me feel silly but I suppose being a single girl it becomes more of a concern (ie, trying to imagine explaining the CI to guys when out on dates, that kind of thing). I really really hate how the CIs look: like a random button sewn onto your head LOL. I'm probably going to go through with the surgery this summer anyway, but I'm already planning to grow my hair long so I can put it into all kinds of CI-disguising hairdos.

I'll be praying for a wireless/completely internal version soon. I'm telling you, I'd even go through the entire pain and trouble of reimplantation if future technologies ever required it. That is how vain I am. :)

Dont feel bad..u are being honest and that is good. I really dont like how they look either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back