Why Would You NOT Choose A CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be very honest, my main concern is the same as SCBassist's used to be --cosmetic -- and I think it's interesting that many of you don't worry about that at all. Makes me feel silly but I suppose being a single girl it becomes more of a concern (ie, trying to imagine explaining the CI to guys when out on dates, that kind of thing). I really really hate how the CIs look: like a random button sewn onto your head LOL. I'm probably going to go through with the surgery this summer anyway, but I'm already planning to grow my hair long so I can put it into all kinds of CI-disguising hairdos.

I'll be praying for a wireless/completely internal version soon. I'm telling you, I'd even go through the entire pain and trouble of reimplantation if future technologies ever required it. That is how vain I am. :)

For me I worn hearing aids all my life and it was just like a bigger hearing aid not much difference. On the Freedom processor you can have the processor in one color, the microphone cover in another and the coil in a different color as well. As for me I find nothing wrong being deaf that uses assistive technology similar to a deaf director that uses interpreters for sign to voice translation in meetings that I go to. Many hearing people I work with are using Bluetooth ear sets that stand out more that the my implant does. Everyone has their own comfort zone. Thanks for being honest and I am sure that someday I am not sure when there will be a fully implantable cochlear implant.

In all honesty - you can't see my scar from my CI surgery. Its hidden behind my ear - unless you make a habit of bending your ear forward all the time, nobody will see the scar, and then when you wear the processor (BTE), even if you have short hair and somebody is standing behind you, they won't see it.

Great for you, but I know many people with CI and can easily see their scars. Imagine when all those men gets old and bold.. But then again, it's pure cosmetical, and I don't want to put down people who have scars from CI, but it's an issue for some of us.

To be very honest, my main concern is the same as SCBassist's used to be --cosmetic -- and I think it's interesting that many of you don't worry about that at all. Makes me feel silly but I suppose being a single girl it becomes more of a concern (ie, trying to imagine explaining the CI to guys when out on dates, that kind of thing). I really really hate how the CIs look: like a random button sewn onto your head LOL. I'm probably going to go through with the surgery this summer anyway, but I'm already planning to grow my hair long so I can put it into all kinds of CI-disguising hairdos.

I'll be praying for a wireless/completely internal version soon. I'm telling you, I'd even go through the entire pain and trouble of reimplantation if future technologies ever required it. That is how vain I am. :)

I appreciate your concerns but honestly, in my experience I've had no more attention or curiosity compared to hearing aids. I think they stared somewhat more at me when I had hearing aids because it was possible to see the ear molds in my ears when facing me. The BTE part of the HA might be smaller but I think ear molds look unattractive too. So you don't win either way in the vanity stakes!

The stupid thing sticking outside the side of my head.

I've considered this issue more than my fair share of times, especially given the special benefits I would obtain as a deafblind person.

There are several reasons I choose against.

First, I like myself. It took a long time to get to the point in my life where I could just.. do that. I'm not about to go fixing myself when I've finally found myself somewhere that I -don't feel broken.-

Second, I try to appreciate being deaf. I have experienced the world- I continue to experience the world- in a fashion I could not otherwise. I see the beauty in a way that is entirely mine, and I quite like it. Especially, it has given me the beauty of sign language- of, for the very first time in my life, interaction that doesn't have to hurt or be stressful.

Third, I'm not all okay with drilling holes into myself. I'm not okay with risking my life in pursuit of better hearing.. because in my eyes (this doesn't have to be your perspective)... that is essentially equal to saying that you hate yourself. That you are so in need of repair.

Hey, maybe one day I'll change my mind- never for a second believe that my choice against CI is the "easy" way out. Deafness, when you are blind, is hugely disconnecting and at times terrifying. It takes bravery to cross the street. It takes willpower drag your own two feet out of bed to the grocery store because there's always the easy way out- point your browser, order your food.. never face the world.

I choose against CI because every challenge I face head-on armed only with my cane and a communication card means that I didn't give up- and that makes me happy.

Choosing CI doesn't mean we gave up.

Wanted to point it out so nobody is painting us the wrong picture.

Choosing CI doesn't mean we gave up.

Wanted to point it out so nobody is painting us the wrong picture.

good posting.

My Cochlear implants are just like getting new hearing aid except insurance covers it. People noticed my hearing aids more than the speech processor.

The reason I did not choose CIs for the 5 years, I was scared it would change me. I would lose me. ***Didn't happen, I'm still me and much happier.****

I don't think if CI will work successfully for each deaf child. It will NOT help a deaf child to be ABLE to hear ...so much just like a " normal " hearing person. By a normal hearing person, it's not the same when a deaf child experience with CI. A hearing person and CI child are 2 different cases. Different experiences, too - not similiar ones.

If, I had my own child that happen to be deaf, I wouldn't allow my deaf child to have that CI. I would allow my deaf child to experience her/his deaf world naturally. Just be her/or him as is. :)

I do lots of sports offshore, among them deepdiving. No way the doctor is going to okay this with a CI. I also feel it's a bit gross with CI and don't like the scars.

Make sense about sports/deep diving (although, there was a woman that went 110 feet with CI, no problem). Companies tend to say 80 to 90 feet to save their asses. You can go a bit further than that. I wouldn't encourage it, but it's just a thought.

Scars? Please. Have you seen people with CURRENT CI? You could barely see them at all. If you're "grossed" out, I guess you'll be afraid to see the 13 scars I got from a brutal dog attack. I'm more conscious of my dog attack scars than my CI scar. I call them my Battle scars. :)

Well for me and my life I always have been a happy person myself. I was born deaf and wears HA all my life. I went to orally school when I was 3-4 yrs old so simply and basic words. I attended special school for any disabitly . Until I was 12 years old I was transfered to Maryland Deaf School . From that time age 12 for one year.. I ve learned so much in sign languages ! I love it and never been happier . So I graduated and I have never heard about the CI. Then around in 1990 I heard about the CI. I never wanted and get to curious wanted to know what's going on because i was not interested in. Then the years passing by I ve heard more about the CI . I realized what it was for. Then I started to opposed it never become wanting so much in me. Because I know who I was and now always know who I am that's me the natural deaf person myself. Until about few years ago and now.. some of the ppl asked me .. encouraged me to try but I never accepted it. Because I just don't wanted to and it's not necessary to have one. Why take the chance for CI? I am always have been happy with my HA.That is good enough for me.

This is a very interesting and informational thread!! I am in the process of deciding whether I should get a CI or not, and to be honest, I have been nervous as well as excited!!

I was suggested to be fitted with CI 6 years back, but turned it down since I didnt want to go through the complicated surgical procedure. Moreover I was in a different country that time, no insurance coverage, poor post-surgery rehabilitation. I am not born deaf, but lost 95Db since age 5, and have been on HA all this while. Lets come to the point now -

- Even though I am very optimistic, want to lead a better lifestyle (because I am 22, live alone and manage independently) and want to get more involved in society, I am very nervous, scared, stressed over getting a CI. I still don't know if I will ever benefit from CI - throughout my childhood I could never even accept my disability!! I would often take off my hearing aids when people were around me, and thats how I had too many friends (I know its stupid! I was best at lip reading & people wont believe that I am profoundly deaf!!). But last four years, I loved my HA, couldn't live without it, and I feel so much in control by being able to hear environmental sounds at least !! Now with hearing aids, I lost almost all my friends. My hearing deteriorated 'cuz of tinnitus and speech too. Result I am more isolated, lost and lonely. So will a CI do the magic of getting me back on track? I dont know, I dont think so. I dont think it works like perfectly as much as we want it to! (or maybe I have too high expectations!)

- Some people tend to be very happy and content with what they have got, with how they are managing life. If I were to be content with 5% residual hearing and keep trying harder to succeed despite the odds, I still maybe able to get 'somewhere'! But I still dont know why I am considering a CI. i still dont know if it will ever benefit me. I am happy with my hearing aids, but never happy with the way I am managing my life around independently. But I must say - if you are a HA user, have a family or some really close loved one near you, you will be happy with a HA and not consider CI (for some ppl). Having someone gets us all the support that one needs. Unfortunately, it doesnt work for me!

I don't exclude myself from the deaf community; its just that I have been brought up the normal way with all those hardships, no disability services, etc. and no deaf friends! As much as I want to avoid a CI (really, 90% I want to avoid it), I am having an even more difficult time at work, social scene, phone conversations, etc. And if I get fired tomorrow from my first job, thats another nail in the coffin for me!!

This is a very interesting and informational thread!! I am in the process of deciding whether I should get a CI or not, and to be honest, I have been nervous as well as excited!!

I was suggested to be fitted with CI 6 years back, but turned it down since I didnt want to go through the complicated surgical procedure. Moreover I was in a different country that time, no insurance coverage, poor post-surgery rehabilitation. I am not born deaf, but lost 95Db since age 5, and have been on HA all this while. Lets come to the point now -

- Even though I am very optimistic, want to lead a better lifestyle (because I am 22, live alone and manage independently) and want to get more involved in society, I am very nervous, scared, stressed over getting a CI. I still don't know if I will ever benefit from CI - throughout my childhood I could never even accept my disability!! I would often take off my hearing aids when people were around me, and thats how I had too many friends (I know its stupid! I was best at lip reading & people wont believe that I am profoundly deaf!!). But last four years, I loved my HA, couldn't live without it, and I feel so much in control by being able to hear environmental sounds at least !! Now with hearing aids, I lost almost all my friends. My hearing deteriorated 'cuz of tinnitus and speech too. Result I am more isolated, lost and lonely. So will a CI do the magic of getting me back on track? I dont know, I dont think so. I dont think it works like perfectly as much as we want it to! (or maybe I have too high expectations!)

- Some people tend to be very happy and content with what they have got, with how they are managing life. If I were to be content with 5% residual hearing and keep trying harder to succeed despite the odds, I still maybe able to get 'somewhere'! But I still dont know why I am considering a CI. i still dont know if it will ever benefit me. I am happy with my hearing aids, but never happy with the way I am managing my life around independently. But I must say - if you are a HA user, have a family or some really close loved one near you, you will be happy with a HA and not consider CI (for some ppl). Having someone gets us all the support that one needs. Unfortunately, it doesnt work for me!

I don't exclude myself from the deaf community; its just that I have been brought up the normal way with all those hardships, no disability services, etc. and no deaf friends! As much as I want to avoid a CI (really, 90% I want to avoid it), I am having an even more difficult time at work, social scene, phone conversations, etc. And if I get fired tomorrow from my first job, thats another nail in the coffin for me!!

It does sound like u have put a lot of thought into this. This is an assumption but it seems like with today's CI technology, more and more people are able to gain benefit.

My best friend is going thru the same thing as you are now...she cant make up her mind if she wants a CI or not. I told her to go for it since she is in a non-signing environment 90% of the time but she is afraid that her migraines will get worse instead of better which is holding her back from actually going through with it.

Good luck!

Yes, CIs are great for those who live in hearing environment.. no offense please but signing doesn't for work out for everyone .. me included.. anyways, the choice is up to the persons themselves

Well ..let's not debating. God created the the person and He knows who will become disabilty. That's why there are the reason .Sometimes we can't see why and understands to accept it. Just remember deafness is not a tragedy.. Ignorance is the tragedy. For me I will never accept to have CI.. because this is who I am and always will be as a natural deaf person. Disabilty is only a temporary on earth.If you are saved and knowing that you are going to heaven .. you will have perfect a whole spirit-body and no more deafness. Disabilty is just a short time to suffering and accepting but knowing that you are who you are and it's all belongs to Him.
Be glad for you are as a deaf person as long as you knowing Jesus.:)

Well ..let's not debating. God created the the person and He knows who will become disabilty. That's why there are the reason .Sometimes we can't see why and understands to accept it. Just remember deafness is not a tragedy.. Ignorance is the tragedy. For me I will never accept to have CI.. because this is who I am and always will be as a natural deaf person. Disabilty is only a temporary on earth.If you are saved and knowing that you are going to heaven .. you will have perfect a whole spirit-body and no more deafness. Disabilty is just a short time to suffering and accepting but knowing that you are who you are and it's all belongs to Him.
Be glad for you are as a deaf person as long as you knowing Jesus.:)
Perhaps god wants you to do something about it... giving you all the options, and you reject one of the options..
Perhaps, saying "it's his will" is just another way of not thinking for yourself.... putting the responsibility on someone else......

But I agree..... Ignorance is the real tragedy...

Besides: You say "you will have perfect a whole spirit-body and no more deafness"..... Are you saying deaf persons are not just as perfect as hearing persons?

I deicde not get ci because I accpet who am I. I am not good with voice and lip reader at all. I don't wear hearing aid for many years. I wore them when I was early teenage. I stopped wore them because I didn't like the sounds.

I chose not to get a CI for many reasons. One reason is that I don't feel that I need it. Even if hearing aids don't work for me I can still speak, and speech read. I know a fair amount of ASL and I learn more every day. I don't feel that my Deafness is a barrier for me. I am also lesbian and in my mind being Deaf isn't much different from being gay. If I could get a device that allowed me to be straight while wearing it I wouldn't. So why would I do the same with my Deafness.

It does sound like u have put a lot of thought into this. This is an assumption but it seems like with today's CI technology, more and more people are able to gain benefit.

My best friend is going thru the same thing as you are now...she cant make up her mind if she wants a CI or not. I told her to go for it since she is in a non-signing environment 90% of the time but she is afraid that her migraines will get worse instead of better which is holding her back from actually going through with it.

Good luck!

If its any consolation, I suffer from an occasional migraine, and I found my CI has had absolutely no impact on the frequency of them. I still get them, but its because of what I eat, or whether I'm sick, and not my CI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back