Why would people want their children to be deaf?

Really? I know several d/Deaf/hoh lawyers out there. We even have one here on the board here.

Ages? Personally,I got the opportunity to be a janitor, not a lawyer.

Different generations may have seen a different world for the deaf than you did.

Not that I begrudge it to you in any way......

Thanks Souggy.

I remember receiving some speech therapy in elementary school. They want me to try it and... I really like the speech therapist because she was really nice and make me laugh so I look at it as a "recess" time and volunteered to attend. Then once I moved out of the area, the speech therapist was as dull as could be so I ask to be out of the program and poof! I never go back again.

Me too! I loved speech therapy when I grew up,, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
started to rebel when I entered High School and they hired this lame therapist. :roll:

I do not need to get treatments, I was trying to made a point that I think that being HOH is nothing to be happy about! And no one can make me feel any other way. I am NOT ashamed of being HOH , I just wish I was NOT HOH!!
I could done a lot more with my life if I could hear, I would had gotten a better education when I was younger and may had been a lawyer.

Anyone who denies the need for treatment usually is in need of it.:cool2:

Really? I know several d/Deaf/hoh lawyers out there. We even have one here on the board here.

Yep. I know personally, master's level deaf educators, and several deaf PhD's. All are considered Deaf and have fluent use of both English and ASL. Didn't let deafness stop them. Just saying.

When you have your father put you in a roasting pan as a toddler and put matches around the pan and try to put you in the stove being HOH is a danger to your life! If my mother did not stop my dad , I would not had been here! Being HOH really SUCK!!

I'm sorry you went through that...but it sounds like your dad is a sick, twisted SOB and would have abused you regardless of whether you could hear or not.

This is some seriously bad stuff. I agree with the others; it has nothing to do with you, it has to do with an abusive father. Do not let this type of anger fester. Talk to someone. Geez, what a creep your father was.

I agree. Your father was horrible, Whatdidyousay, but I don't think it has to do with your deafness. I was in a situation similar with extended family. Not going to go into detail, but I was abused simply because I was vulnerable. But, I don't blame being disabled for the abuse any longer. I blame the person who was sick and twisted enough to do the things he did to me.

There are some sick, twisted people in this world; who will use ANY situation to their advantage. Please see someone to help you sort through all this crap. It wasn't your fault.

I believe the majority of us hope for a healthy & a happy baby. But when something goes wrong with the baby, or it's born with a defect, that's when you have to come to terms with it in your own way.

No matter what my baby was born with, I would love it regardless. But do I "wish" or would I wish for a deaf baby? No....but if it was born that way, then that's the way it is and was meant to be. It would be loved regardless.

:gpost:

well I do not know if I am considered to be jealous of other deaf parents who have deaf kids. First of all, I am happy that my two hearing kids are healthy! In fact, i admit that i sometimes wonder what to raise deaf kid look like, for example, going to school and talk to teachers without using the interpreter, going to the shows, using without interpreter and go on. Also, the parents have meeting that i have to go to and needed the interpreter. Just because of the different culture that i have to adjust to match with hearing people every time I go.
If i have a deaf kid, then i would feel same where I grew up in my deaf school. Know what I am saying. Like it is just a SIGNISM & feeling thingy. So, if in your views thinking i am jealous of them. then help yourself. I dont care.. i am blessed to have beautiful healthy children.

Ha ha.. good words.

I am not talking about you, I am talking about my deaf friends who feel this way. They told me what their feelings, I do not care what you or other feels. k. No big deal here.

When I have kids(just need a bloke first to love me for who i am), when they are born, I don't care what could be wrong with them. I would love them no matter what

Interesting thread!

I remember my parents always have had an argument over me when I was growing up. When I was 15 years old and that I was so depressed that I was not accepted that I am deaf because I always thought that I was blamed. My mother noticed that I am depressed and withdraw. She's worried and called and made an appointment for me with a therapist. I went there to see him for a few sessions and I realized that I was not blamed. It's them. One day, I decided to ask my mother a question - do you accept my deafness? My mother told me that my father was not accepted my deafness when he found out that I was inside of my mother when she was 3 months pregnant... and told her that she should have aborted me, which she refused. He told family members and they all told him that it's my mother's decision. When I was born. (My father didn't stop by seeing us at the hospital instead of drinking at the bar. How terrible?! Of course, I was so angry at him... ) Good for my mother because she doesn't believe in Abortion since she's Catholic!!! When my mother brought me home from the hospital saying to my father, "See that Sosie is a healthy baby girl, and that she has ten fingers and toes!" or something like that. My father didn't say a word. No wonder why I feel that way for so long. Later, I found out that my father doesn't love me and my siblings. It's sad...

Wow... Sosie, I have a friend who went through similar experience. However it was discovered he was deaf when he was born. His mother want to give him up for adopt, but his father refused. They divorced for that reason.
To this day, he's in mid 20s and still social awkward mainly over the whole family thing. So I know what you're going through. Very sad situation.

Wow... Sosie, I have a friend who went through similar experience. However it was discovered he was deaf when he was born. His mother want to give him up for adopt, but his father refused. They divorced for that reason.
To this day, he's in mid 20s and still social awkward mainly over the whole family thing. So I know what you're going through. Very sad situation.

Great signature!

If I became pregnant again and I found out that the child would be deaf or HOH, would be upset? Yes. But that is a natural reaction. Would I love the child less? No. I believe I already have a leg up that I am able to use ASL, and teach the child the same. I taught my hearing son, and had HORRIBLE arguments with my ex-mother-in-law about it.

I have never thought about wanting to become hearing. I just wanted to have my rights as a Deaf person needing the accommodations which the mainstream schools like high school can not give them to me back then. I have no rights as a Deaf person which is not fair at all. I also need to find a job that would provide some of the accommodations. There are times when an interviewer make discrimination when it comes to interviews for deaf person like me. I am glad that ADA will help fight for the deaf and hard of hearing people's rights. We just have to fight for our rights to use them. Beside, I never want to be hearing at all. I am just happy being me and deaf. :cool2:

I am a deaf guy and if I was ever to have a child, I want them to be hearing.

You can talk until you're blue in the face, but if you're deaf, there are just SO many lost opportunity that you will never be able to do and there will be some difficult in life that wouldn't happen if you could hear.

Misinformed. My Deafness hasn't stopped me from doing anything that I wanted to do. I won silver medal in Latin dancing a few years ago. I released two songs internationally. I've written a novel. I'm a professional accountant and am very respected for what is in my brain not whether or not I can hear.

Yes, there are some challenges in terms of romantic relationships but those arise from dating hearies who don't understand how different our communication is.

Let me know what is a better word or just dont say anything at all?

I hate hate that term hearing-impaired so I prefer to be called deaf.

Me too! There's nothing impaired about me unless I drink red wine.:giggle:

I always said it didn't matter. But deep down, it does. I'm the oddball...I'm a deaf parent who wants hearing kids for the simple fact that the world is so cruel to deaf people. Audism slaps me in the face every day.

When I found out my youngest had unilateral hearing loss, I was devastated. And as I predicted, I am fighting tooth and nail to get her appropriate services that should be offer without delay. With that said, it doesn't mean I love her any less than my hearing child. Of course, I adore both of them. And I wouldn't change them for anything. :)

Misinformed. My Deafness hasn't stopped me from doing anything that I wanted to do. I won silver medal in Latin dancing a few years ago. I released two songs internationally. I've written a novel. I'm a professional accountant and am very respected for what is in my brain not whether or not I can hear.

Yes, there are some challenges in terms of romantic relationships but those arise from dating hearies who don't understand how different our communication is.

Well it stopped me from being in the military with like 90% of my high school friends who was in ROTC. Even if the military somehow end up decide to let me in, they will never let me in Special Force. Now do you want to tell me my deafness hasn't stopped me?

Back